Zena's Second Day in Iowa

sutsibe

Well, I was going to wait a few days before posting more on Zena, but Becky was already looking for this thread this afternoon - guess I'd better keep her happy, or she'll steal Zena from me!

My good friend Rachel came to visit for a couple of hours on the way to visit her daughter, so we went and had lunch with Becky (who was working) and then took Zena touring Ackley, Iowa. This is the town where Becky works, and is where our September Iowa meet will take place. I got some pictures of Prairie Bridges Park, where some of us will be camping, but my camera's batteries died part way through.

We started out at the office of the newspaper for which Becky is the editor - The Ackley World-Journal.

AtWorldJournal1.jpg

Ackley has scarecrows (The town calls them "dummies") around town, which represent various people in town - shop owners and others who are well-known. There's a newspaper carrier outside the World-Journal - Zena wanted to go along for the ride!

PaperCarrierride1.jpg

There was a gentleman in a wheelchair next door, and Zena decided some Pet Therapy was in order!

PetTherapy1.jpg

The Artist is in residence down the street, in front of the art gallery!

Artist1.jpg

We went a couple of blocks down, to The Pizza Ranch for lunch. They have a wonderful buffet, and Zena was really excited - she was awfully hungry after her trip here (guess I didn't stuff her enough yesterday)! First she shared Becky's food

Lunch1a.jpg

Then she mooched some of mine!

Lunch2a.jpg

You can't leave Pizza Ranch without having some dessert pizza!!!

DessertPizza1.jpg

We decided we had to work all that lunch off, so Becky went back to work, and Zena, Rachel and I stopped in briefly, so she could tell us what we should see. Zena found an Ackley brochure, and had a look at it...

Ackley2a.jpg

She decided she wanted to see the Ackley Heritage Center. The early settlers in the area were largely German, from East Friesland. There were many items in this museum that would have belonged to those early settlers. Rachel is holding Zena up where she can better see the sign - and be seen!

HeritageCenter1.jpg

She played the piano...

Piano1.jpg

She took a look at the spinning wheel, and wondered if anyone spun and used Husky fur to keep warm in the olden days... (and if anyone wanted any to spin now!)

SpinningWheel1.jpg

She was getting a little sleepy, after our huge lunch, so thought the lounge might be a good place for a nap -

Lounge1.jpg

...until she found a friend with a bed! Fortunately, a cat nap was sufficient, while Rachel and I looked around and talked with the very helpful and interesting ladies there! (I left the web address and directions to find Zena's blog, so hopefully, they can follow her travels!)

Naptime1.jpg

With Zena rested, we headed off to Prairie Bridges Park, which is one of the two campgrounds (about 1-1/2 miles between the two) where we'll have our Iowa Meet in September. Prairie Bridges is wonderful for camping/caravanning - it has lots of trees, several ponds/lakes, and some wonderful areas for walking! I haven't gotten any pictures of Crazy Acres, yet - another day! - but they have cabins for those who don't have tents or campers/caravans.

Driving around the back 40, we found a really pretty stream! (Unfortunately, my batteries were going, and most of these pics turned out way overexposed. I may try later to see if I can fix them with Photoshop... She played in the playground, riding the space shuttle and swinging on the swing.)

Stream1a.jpg

I went to the gas station and got some new batteries, and we went back...

Sign.jpg

Zenaatlake1.jpg

She wanted to go fishing, but I don't have a pole or license, at the moment, so she had to settle for watching the ducks and geese!

Lake-n-geese.jpg

Geese1.jpg

Rachel had to get going, so we cut our trip to Prairie Bridges short, and went to look at the Bald Eagle's nest nearby. My little camera wasn't up to the task of getting a good picture of the eagles, so you'll have to get Beck to post pics she took before Zena came! We also stopped to take a look at an old bridge in town that the town is considering taking down due to wear and tear - it's pretty rough!

RRBridge1.jpg

Rachel was holding on to Zena's leash to make sure she didn't fall off or take off. Unfortunately, she relaxed her guard briefly, and Zena decided to check out a hole in the bridge, to see what was below...

Hole1.jpg

We headed back home, as Rachel had to leave soon, and Zena needed another, longer nap! rolleyes.png

Another awesome post . And you were wondering what you were going to show Zena :lol: Looks like a fantastic place to live.

redface.pngAww, thanks! It seems kind of boring and ho-hum to me, unlike the awesome landscape around you! It's home, though, and I love it. I would like to take her over to the Mississippi River at some point - THAT is a big river!

Looks like a GREAT place Gigi! Mmmmmmm, pizza. I love pizza!:D Don't know about that newspaper carrier though, he looks terrified of Zena!:help: Would LOVE to see the pics of the eagles nest.B)

Pizza Ranch's pizza is - ok. I really don't like something about most of them, maybe the sauce they use? I do like their Tuscan pizza, which has a white sauce, tomatoes, and spinach, and the dessert pizza is fantastic! The gas station down the road, Casey's, has much better pizza, in my opinion. I think that while everyone is here in September, we might just have to get a couple of pizzas from both places at some point, and do some taste-testing, and publish our results here! biggrin.pngtongue.pnghappy.png

Becky will probably read this on Thursday, when she goes back into the office. Hopefully, she'll take the hint and post some pics of the eagle's nest for us then! In the meantime, there's an immensely popular web page for a nest in Decorah, which is a bit more than 100 miles NE of here... http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

Again Gigi some super pics, and the scarecrows are a great idea, and you were wondering what would be intresting in your area of the world lol, the park looks a good place to camp and the dogs will just love all that water :D

Great Pics Gigi. laugh.gif

Oh, no!!! Scarecrows. . . now you've given Linda another idea. hot.gifwink.png

Thanks, everyone! Guess you would find Iowa a little more 'exotic' than I do, lol! Glad you're enjoying the pics!

Well, you've got the job of cheering me up in the early mornings down to a tea. Thank you :D

Glad to oblige!! biggrin.pnglaugh.gif

wow loving these and i love the scarecrows they are fab, not sure about dessert pizzas don't think we have them. Gigi how could you have worried what to do with Zena with all the interesting things you have done already xxxxxxxxxxx

I have to give credit to Brian - his adventures with Zena gave me some ideas on how to find things that are interesting (and make it fun - good job, btw Brian!). Dessert pizza is a somewhat sweeter crust - more like sweet rolls? - and has a streusel-type crumb topping and a bit of frosting on it. They make a plain variety, and several others with fruit - blueberry (my fave!), apple, and peach, I've seen.

Zena came to school with me today. I'm not sure if we'll get any pics today, but we might. I'm subbing in a science classroom in middle school (grades 6-8th). I'll be here tomorrow afternoon in 4th grade, and might be more likely to get pics then... Anyway, glad to be able to amuse and entertain you all!

Gi and Zena are always busy! Hard to keep up with them. I'll post a couple of the eagle pics either yet this afternoon or tomorrow (I'm at my daughter's checking out all the new PINK baby things she got at her shower, and don't have my camera with me.)

Oh wow, Zena must be having a blast in Ackley, Iowa. Great pics and wonderful storyline. Gigi you are gifted. Zena is going to hate to leave Iowa.

Oh wow, Zena must be having a blast in Ackley, Iowa. Great pics and wonderful storyline. Gigi you are gifted. Zena is going to hate to leave Iowa.

redface.pngThanks! Who wouldn't have a blast in Iowa - especially when going to Pizza Ranch?! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Great pics Gigi....I can't wait to get up there in September. PB looks like a great park. I'll have to check out Ackley too....I absolutely love our small towns here in the Midwest. :D

I can't wait, either - it'll be fun! I love the little towns, too... :smoke:

Echoing what was said about the Pizza Ranch. Their pizza is pretty "eh", but their Tuscan is easily the best. I just love it.

And, despite the name, their chicken is amazing. We go there for their chicken than any other place around here!