Jon was attacked

jayt

Yesterday at doggie day care.

Melissa (my wife) went in to pick him up as usual. They informed her that he was "in a fight" and he bit his lip. They never called us about it when it happened earlier in the afternoon. So she figures no big deal (but we are suspicious because Jon is the biggest sweetheart and would never hurt a fly). She is walking him to the car, and he is limping badly. So she brings him back in, and they look him over. He has a huge wound under his armpit.

So we call the call the vet and can only get him in at 9pm. We bring him in, and they have us drop him off. He gets put under, cleaned up and sewn back together. Melissa picks him back up at 2am. He's a bit groggy now, but all in all he is ok.

Melissa called the day car this morning to tell them about it. Turns out that a golden doodle was playing fetch, and jon tried to hop in and play with them, and the golden attacked him. The day care wont pay the vet bills, they will only give us a credit to our account. We are just a bit miffed that they had to clean up his mouth and stop the bleeding, why wouldn't they call the owners? Also, this golden doodle should no longer be allowed to play with the other dogs, as it is aggressive.

So sorry to hear that Jon was hurt.

High value items WILL bring out the aggressive in any dog.

Favourite toys, food, even people.

It doesn't mean that the other dog is all the time aggressive, but with the right items they WILL

protect that item.

The day care need to find out what the items were and restrict them from that dog.

poor Jon

hope he's ok and not put off this other dog when he returns to doggy day care.

i do however think they should be paying your vets bill,afterall he is in their care and like a child they should all be supervised especially when playing

Sorry to hear that Jon was attacked and hope he recovers quickly and doesn't develop any issues with other dogs as a result.

I would suggest you take a look at the day care's contract as IMO they're liable to pay vet bills for any dogs injured whilst in their care unless stated otherwise in their contract. Regardless of them being liable there is no excuse for not contacting you immediately following the incident and not noticing the other injury which clearly required the attention of a vet.

I agree that they should pay at least something towards the vet fees, but I bet the have small print making them not liable. Imo it's a bit irresponsible to be playing fetch with a large number of dogs around. It's asking for trouble. The only fight mine have every really had was over a tennis ball, luckly nobody was hurt. But I've not played with all of them again. Hope puppy is ok. Lots of treats and cuddles! Sam xx

1- check the contract as everyone else said

2- contact BBB

3- contact the city and report the daycare. It is an act of negligence to allow a dog that is toy-oriented and aggressive because of toys, specially if the toy was brought in by the owner and allowed by the day care. Even if they are not liable to pay the vet bills, it is their responsibility to conduct a responsible daycare that is aware of the nature of dogs, and thus they must provide a safe environment for all dogs. If the golden poodle wasnt hurt, it is all in your favor.

i hope your dog gets better soon

Jon spent most of yesterday sleeping off the meds. He was his usual, hyper self this morning, barking at the bedroom door at 530am to go outside and to have breakfast.

The daycare is giving us a credit of the amount of the bill. It really wasn't their fault, I just wish they contacted us sooner. They already had a staff meeting, and changed their policy to better inspect the dog if they get injured.

We did sign away our life to fine fine print, so we really don't have a leg to stand on. We are happy they are at least giving us a credit, so the vet bills aren't out of pocket, in the end. We are demanding that he doesn't get put into the same group as Gus, the golden doodle.

awe happy they are atleat giving you something tho i would maybe consider looking for a diff daycare they obviously weren't properly supervising for not have noticed the cut under his arm pit and wouldnt be happy it happened in the first place!

hope jon heals quick fingers and paws crossed!

Oh, what a sad story. The freakin chew toys are so often a source of conflict... even at the dog park, some dog like my Nanook will steal the toys and run away with them hoping that the whole park will chase her as she usually the fastest runner there is..... well while other dont see it this way and we always have fights over the week end. At my doggy day care, there's educators and they mix and match dogs upon their behavior , age style of playing and she takes time to get to know the dog to do that. Nanook is always placed with friendly energetic dogs and i never had any problems, she is very loved there. But you have to make sure that you are notify when something happen. For me, i have to bring her health booklet with the name and number of my vet along with her vaccine update. So if something happend they will always call MY Vet that knows Nanook and make sure that she recieve care asap. I am really lucky here cause i have the greatest Vet in the world, and he's specialized in Husky as he is the Vet for a Dog sled company who owns 200 dogs !!!!!!!!! And the day care is really really fabulous, she just love to go there

Cynthia

We are lazily looking. But this really is a great facility. By far the best around. It was just an unfortunate incident, and I don't think they have dealt with it before.

We talked to the guy who watches the play time, and he admitted Jon was attacked. I know exactly what happened, cause I have observed it so many times at the dog park. Dog#1 is playing fetch. Person throws ball for Dog#1 to fetch, and Jon intercepts the ball. Jon has no interest in playing fetch, but he knows Dog#1 will chase him (which is Jon's main priority when playing with dogs: get them to chase him). So in this case, the Golden Doodle didn't want to chase, and instead chose to attack Jon.

We had to pass by a neighbor the other night (before going to the vet) and they were out with their dog. Jon ran right up to it and started playing. I doubt he will have much of a problem with other dogs. I am worried he will retaliate against Gus. Its funny how smart he is. We will go to the dog park, and Jon will get teamed up and brutally taken down. For the next half hour or so, Jon carefully separates the offenders, takes them down, and lets them know who is boss (usually by humping the point into them). He's cunning and dominant in the sweetest way possible, LOL. He never hurts anyone, just lets them know who is boss.

I guess that husky's are not so great at the game throw and bring back, i throw a ball she gets it, but runaway with it, im the one that has to run for it, go figure, but she doest that with other dogs as well, most of the time they run after her, but sometimes she get barked at.... Nanook is not comfortable in conflict, she will leave a group of dog if they play too hard. But she will defend her friends if they are in trouble..... Jon is a very good dog educator and its sad that he got attacked. Golden often are very prime with their toys. Its not the first time that i hear that Golden are involved in conflict... and my vet told me that he had more golden involved in dog bites on kids than any other breed.......I dont wanna judge any breed but im just saying......

Cynthia