Gallery Question - Need your opinions

Marc

i think the main issue would be that once the picture is uploaded directly, how could you then find that picture again without going through all the threads looking for it

other than that i dont see any other need for the gallery.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A full featured gallery would be nice but is unnecessary. I kinda browse about and check out dogs sometimes if something in the recent pics section catches my eye, so from the point of view streamlining it would be nice. But other than that, I don't really use it...

I like looking at the pics in the recent gallery images but don't really look at the main gallery pics. When I upload my images I put them straight into set folders in my gallery so they are all together in one place and I can find them all easily. I view other members pictures by clicking on their gallery icon in posts most so I don't mind either way.

A solution to both problems. One side argues they want the gallery so they can see every dogs picture thats been posted on the site, the other side doesn't want the gallery and would prefer to skim thru every post to find pictures. Why don't you make a Category dedicated for people to post their pictures in. So the pictures are uploaded in posts but are all in one place. Every time a member uploads a new picture it'll count as a new post and everyone can see them.

If that sounds complicated heres a sketch

| Husky-Owners |

|_______________________|

| Site Business |

|_______________________|

^-- Turn this into say Member Pictures and have it collapsed by default, make sure its the bottom most category so that when it expands you dont have to scroll all the way down to get to another category.

Interesting idea, however this would get away from the fact of making it easier for people to post multiple images very easily, which is what removing the gallery would do.

I would hope to create something in order for members to be able to search images they have uploaded anyway to be honest, just maybe not initially. Searching for a specific members posts in a particular forum however is very easy to do, so shouldnt be too difficult for anyone to find anything.

Ironically, I have gone through the first fwe pages of posts in the Pictures forum, and most of them are being posted from photobucket rather than our gallery, which shows how much of a pain in the backside it can be.

There is of course saying that you have the photo on your harddrive, but what if your harddrive died so the only copy was in a thread that was yonks ago that you can't remember the name of?

Please note that husky owners should never ever be used as a storage device for your images. It is here for people to share there experiences with others and will not be responsible for ensuring we always have a copy of your data. That is for you to do for yourself, we just provide a facility that allows you to show others those photos, nothing more.

I've just started posting the Zena pictures from Photobucket, mainly because I don't like the little thumbnails that are currently showing. I do enjoy the gallery, and like showing my pics there, and being able to go and look at another member's dogs or other pics posted, for that matter! I had a lovely time browsing through Rosemary's gallery one day, looking at her stained glass! :smoke:

I'm new and couldn't figure out how to post an image into a post. I somehow managed a picture to go with my login name, but it is tiny. I don't know how to use the gallery. So, I don't have much of an opinion on this other than to say that it's all been confusing to me.

As resident gallery surfer for this site, I like the gallery.:lol: I don't use it to upload photos to a post but use photobucket for that. I do like having the gallery so others can see my dogs. I REALLY like having the gallery so I can enjoy other peoples pics.:D

its nice to see some willing to make changes and its really nice you us us the memeber so thankyoufor that

and ive too now voted

but also if you pay you need towatch your costs, and the easiest way isnt always the cheapest or free. but despite all votes foloow ur heart

I love the gallery in its current format, and all the fantastic features that it has. I especially like that we can have separate albums (not sure where the Zena album has disappeared to though), and love the 'Latest Comments' section.

But ..... really don't like the thumbnails in posts.

I can't see images posted through Imageshack, which means I have never seen Sid's new husky, or all three of her beautiful huskies together, but this is probably a setting on my computer which I have been unable to rectify.

The idea of being able to upload pictures directly into your post would be great and solve a lot of issues.

I can see what people are saying with having pictures of your husky available if people are looking at your profile but could you not have a section in the forum called "members husky images" for example somewhere around the "picture" section where people can start a post with the date (for example) and add whichever pictures they want, then they can link the post into there 'about me' or somewhere on their profile and people can still look at pictures of their huskies from there?

I'm not trying to complicate things i'm just trying to help those that like having a gallery.

Ooh its a tricky one!

I don't use the gallery but I do like have the photo strip at the top of the page when I log in!

I use my iPhone to view the site and so the gallery takes way too long to load but the strip loads easily so I can see ppls pics there which is nice.

Thanks for involving us Marc!

Becki & Andy x

I love the gallery in its current format, and all the fantastic features that it has. I especially like that we can have separate albums (not sure where the Zena album has disappeared to though), and love the 'Latest Comments' section.

[...]

Why didn't you say that earlier? I fixed it for you now ;)

I currently enjoy the Gallery that we have though some improvements could be made the Gallery we have is nice, it allows us to showcase all of our furbabies, let everyone see

Ill vote yes only on the grounds that minor adjustments are made, but I do not want to see the Gallery perish.... i really dont...