Mika home today... Help potty training?

BAGRI

So I got mika today this afternoon. He's 8 weeks old and I just had a quick question. How often should I wake up during the night to take him out to potty? Also how long did your pups take to poo after they ate. Today mika ate and drank at 8pm and he only went poo at about 1130pm ish. Hasn't pee'd since around 6 ish. Its 1230 am now here in Edmonton. Finally got him sleeping in his crate after almost an hour of fuss and whining and crying. Time to get a few hours of sleep. Please tell me the first nights the wrst and it gets easier Lol. Any tips and advice on Potty training would be awesome. Thanks

Hi

It gets easier!! Dont worry!!

When we got Archie he was also 8 weeks old(hes just turned 1 now!!). We picked him up around 11am and gave him some food at around 12pm and 6pm. we put down mats around the house for him to go pee on when needed. we also took him out on our lawn every hour (was alittle scared at first). Archie usually goes for a poo half hr after food, but all dogs are different. sometimes Archie will poo 3-4 times a day now. Praise him when he goes for wee n poo on the mats so he knows hes doin good and not doin it on your carpet etc. and also praise when he does it in your garden etc. It took Archie a month to crack goin outside and not in the house (which i think is good) it also took Archie to settle in crate at night around 3 nights. The first night we went down and softly told him to go to sleep, i dont think this works myself cuz then they wana come out!! Just leave them to it (they will make alot of noise!!) Archie used to go to sleep from 1030pm-5am (which is good for a pup i think) Hes now a yr old and he goes 10pm-630am. Archie will only howl/bark in the night if hes feeling poorly.

hope this has helped?? not sure what else to put but i hope everything goes well for you and the guys on here are great and on hand to help!!

Hayley & Archie

PS dont feed them to late, make sure you stick to a routine with food otherwise he will have you up all night wanting to go! We have always feed Arch 630am, 1230pm, 630pm and take his water bowl away a few hours before he goes in crate! Arch goes bed at 10pm so 8pm the water goes away! Arch will have a poo at 7am, 1pm and 7pm and sometimes 10pm! all dogs are different (esp when they are pups!)

Oh the new parent woes. I'd let him out when ever you hear him stirring or every 3/4 hours for a few weeks. As for the pooing It depends on the individual pup, you'll get to know your pups routine. During the day I'd let him out every 30mins to a hour, when he does toilet outside praise him and make a fuss of him. Also ignore any accidents and make sure you clean them up with a proper pet disinfectant, so as not to encourage him to toilet again in the same place.Is his crate covered ??? if not I'd definitely recommend it. You could also put a sweater or something that smells of you a night. Just give him time he is very young and as been taken away from everything he's ever known, so it will take him time to settle in.Congratulations on your new pup he's adorable inlove.gif

I have to admit...we didnt take teeko out during the night as we didnt want it to become a routine that we couldn't break...but he wasnt crate and had free run of an area with lino flooring. He is now six months old and we rarely have an accident but he is never left over night for more than 7 or 8 hours which helps.

We also took teeko out very regularly and used the command word toilet....which still works. We didnt paper train as i dont think it works personally beecause you are basically teaching your dog that it is okay to go to the toilet in the house. We did put mats down at one point and he used them anyway but he wasn't praised or encouraged to use them....he just did. Still, everyone is different and you'll find views on both.

You are going to have lots of messes and accidents. We found that by about 12 weeks teeko would go to the back door for the toilet but we had to be really quick to whisk him out in time!

Good luck and have fun!