When your husky dies

Dunc

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When my family's girl Dee was poisoned we buried her in the backyard, it's the family home and there's no chance of it being sold etc.. There just didn't seem to be any other choice. It was that or allow the vet to "dispose" of her and I wouldn't let that happen. Nadia's only 18 months, so it's not something I want to think about really. There's now a pet cemetary and cremation out here but I don't think my OH would go for the latter no matter how much I'd prefer it. With things the way they are out here you'd probably find the pet cemetary being demolished to make way for a skyscraper before long..

I plan to have them cremated.

We spoke about this a while back, we have reached our limit in how many we will have (for now anyway ;)) and by the time they are all gone we will hopefully have kids etc, so we would have to decide whether to get another sibe, or to choose an easier breed. We havent decided yet, but i couldnt live without a dog

Dont know how i'll cope when they go, especially Kira, obviously I love them all but she was my 1st ever dog

our previous dogs( all lived to between 13 and 15 years) are under trees in our garden. Our 1st setter is under a silver birch which is stunning, Bracken doesn't actually have a tree but a small memorial garden, and my first dog of my own a wee heinz 57 has a forsythia bush on top of him. We are not likely to ever move either. Storm is more of a free spirit so wemay have her cremated and scattered on a favourite spot , but she's only young so hopefully not for a very long time.

we've talked about this

All my other pets.........3 rabbits,1 guinea pig,2 cats,4 little lap-dogs are all buried in my garden,but,given the size of my 3 that wouldn't be possible,

i cant bare the thought of letting a vet just dispose of them......feels so insensitive,i think i'd have to have them cremated and either scatter or bury the ashes.

Not something that i really want to think about for a very long time.

I would like to have them cremated privately, but my husband is not keen on the idea though. Can't bare the thought of them being buried or cremated on-mass with hundreds of other animals. If I get my way, we will probably scatter their remains in the forests where they had so much fun.

We will not be getting another husky when they have passed on.

with all our other pets we have brought a plant and planted it over it the decomposing body makes the plant grow really well, its sort of like a circle of life thing.

so i guess we will do the same for micha and suki.

we would have ours cremated....... we buried our gsd bear but i think cremation for the huskies....

whether we would get another husky/dog is dependant on the volume of mourning by the other dogs, when bear died echo didnt sleep or eat for 2 weeks and she howled and pined for him, which is why we then gopt daughtry as a copmpanion....we couldnt see echo in any more pain

with all our other pets we have brought a plant and planted it over it the decomposing body makes the plant grow really well, its sort of like a circle of life thing.

so i guess we will do the same for micha and suki.

Having had dogs for many years, unfortunately we have had to say goodbye to quite a few. Most of them were cremated and we have their ashes in individual caskets in one of our display cabinets (upstairs, not on public view). Our wonderful old crossbreed Ben, is buried in our garden where he spent so many happy hours.

Mick

Add another question to your query...will you be able to make the decision of euthanasia when the time comes. Seems that was the more difficult choice than what to do after. Often your dog, who loves you so deeply, will do everything to keep pleasing you, at the same time, suffering terribly. When it was my Stormy's time, we knew, and sat with her, and laid there after crying (like I am now just thinking about it), believing there could be no more Huskies. The truth is, there are so many Huskies that need homes, it's hard to say never again. We had Stormy (and the others) cremated. Did not take any ashes, as they all live in photos on my refrigerator, in my computer, but most of all in memories in my heart. The physical body, alive or cremated is not your dog, his/her soul is what makes them who they are, and my Stormy showed up on the deck shortly after we had returned from the vet looking healthy and happy, if just for a moment to let us know she was okay, and then she was gone to meet Logan to wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge.:blushed:

If my dogs ever got to that point where I have to make a decision about putting them to sleep, it would be all about wether or not they would be able to have any quality of life or even if they would even make it through. Much kinder to let them go to sleep and take the pain away. :frustrating: I would definately choose cremation and have them buried with me when I go.

I'm still undecided what I will do with Storm and Mya. Was going to go down the cremation route until I saw something on here about a woman doing pet cremation but turns out she wasn't doing things properly and getting rid of the animals her own way. I think you can attend some cremations so you could guarantee your getting your pets ashes back. That thought really worries me. When I was at my vets recently I picked up a brochure called Ashes into glass. Its a company in Essex that put pets ashes into things to make items such as: rings, ear rings, pendant necklaces and memorial paperweights (which I think are lovely). I didn't know you could get such things made. Their website is www.ashesintoglass.co.uk