When your husky dies

Dunc

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a subject that I want to think about but will probably opt for cremation so that Polee can be buried with me when I die. If I die first then she will be financially secure as she's the main beneficiary of my estate.

I haven't thought about it with Calvin since he is less then a year old. But I have though about my parents dog. He is 5yrs old. Every time I think about it I choke up a bit. It makes me so sad to think that my "little brother" would pass one day. Im not sure what my parents would do but I would encourage them to cremate.

Sad but good topic.

I think we've cremated ours. And by cremate, we have an, erm, biological disposal fire area back on the farm.

It sounds heartless, but, my aunt is a vet, and we've always put our animals down ourselves, and it always breaks your heart. Make a little wooden grave placard ourselves, and have them lined up on the property.

So, yeah. Put animal in a steel barrel and light it all on fire. Except our big animals. Like, the goats and bigger. We lead them over the hill into a sort of boneyard in the pasture before we put them to sleep.

NOW, to add to the discussion, some people, understandably, can't get another dog. They loved their old one too much, and just can't bring themselves to get another. This is not me. Get a new dog, and you can love each other all over again. To quote George Carlin; "Life...is a series of dogs!"

This one hits hope pretty hard for me. Roller, my oldest, has been losing weight steadily over the winter. My vet and I were hopeful that once warmer weather arrived, he'd do better. While he's happier (mostly because I'm not shutting him inside, as I did when it was really cold out - he'd go out and lay in all weather, and then would shiver so hard - couldn't get warm!), and he's eating better, he's still losing weight. The good days still seem to be outnumbering the bad; although I suspect cancer is the cause, he doesn't seem to be in pain. One of these days, I'm going to have to make the decision to let him go. My buddy Shad is only 5 month younger, so that will be coming up all too soon, too - and I'm much closer to him, so that one will crush me. mellow.giffrown.pngcry.gif

My first dogs are all buried on the property where I lived before I move here; the one dog I've lost here was cremated. Money's a bit tight at the moment for me, so I may bury Rolly here on my acreage, or I may have my vet cremate him. My main problem with burial here is in finding a good place to do it - there are a lot of graveled areas under the grass where farm drives previously were, and there are a lot of trees, so roots to deal with. All pets who have been buried have had a tree planted for/on them. I'm not terribly concerned about the bodies, as I believe that they aren't there anymore - it's just an empty shell. Still, when I see the container with Hope's ashes, it brings back good memories, so I may do that for the dogs remaining when the time comes, or bury them with a tree. Either way, I'll have something extra to remind me of them! angel.png

NOW, to add to the discussion, some people, understandably, can't get another dog. They loved their old one too much, and just can't bring themselves to get another. This is not me. Get a new dog, and you can love each other all over again. To quote George Carlin; "Life...is a series of dogs!"

Ty, we won't be getting another husky once ours have passed on, but not because we don't want another one. If Ozzy & Micah live a full life, we will be too old to take on another husky and see him/her through to old age, so it will not be fair on them.

Ty, we won't be getting another husky once ours have passed on, but not because we don't want another one. If Ozzy & Micah live a full life, we will be too old to take on another husky and see him/her through to old age, so it will not be fair on them.

Could not have said it better myself :)

My boy, Bo, was cremated and his ashes sit near my chair in the TV room - my cat, is there as well. They were friends and their ashes are mixed together.

Someday, though not for many, many years, I hope, Ryn will be there as well.

It's my wish to be cremated and our ashes mixed together and released in one of our many favorite places. My kids know where!

As for euthanasia, I had to make that choice for Bo. It was the most difficult thing I've ever done.....I based it on his quality of life. He'd had a stroke and was very confused. While the vet said he could treat the stroke, I knew in my heart that Bo wouldn't want to live in a world in that state. It was also based on the fact that I have to work and couldn't give him the care that he might need following any treatment. We had an agreement, my boy and I......quality first. He only gave me his best and I could only give him my best. Anything less was not good enough.

Will there be another husky after Ryn? Well, I'll be pretty darn old by that time, but I'm sure that somewhere among the pre-loved huskies of the world, that there will be a senior husky who'll be looking for agood home to live out his/her last years with- what better place than with me? We'll live out our days sitting in the shade and traveling. It will be a special time for both of us.

Very important point Rosemary.

Oh yeah, if you're already, erm, gettin' on up there in years, I understand. One of my patients is middle aged, 45ish, and her Pom just died, and didn't think she could bear to get another. I think she's young enough to get at least one more dog, if she wanted to.

eep i hate thinking about this :(

Sadly - my boys are very close in age and I fear when one goes the other will very quickly follow if the cause is just old age :(

Would I get another - if one went yes as the other wouldn't cope being an only dog

god i'm filling up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd want both my boys to have a private cremation and i'd keep the ashes and eventually i'd like them buried with me

Add another question to your query...will you be able to make the decision of euthanasia when the time comes. Seems that was the more difficult choice than what to do after.

I think if you really know and love your dog it is not such a hard choice to make - it is still heartbreaking, of course, but you just have to do what is best for the dog. Our old crossbreed Ben (GSD/Lab) had a series of strokes at age 20 and, as a result could barely walk and was completely incontinent. His quality of life deteriorated rapidly and we knew there was only one decision we could make. We insisted that the vet came to our home and we held Ben in our arms while he slipped peacefully away. It didn't diminish the pain we felt, but we knew that we were doing the best for him.

This was Ben (and a very young looking Terry) winning the Eukanuba rescue dog of the year competition in 1995

BEN1.gif

Mick