doesn't chew her food

tootoo

I recently had to switch Tootoo from raw to kibble. The price of food up in the arctic is simply too expensive, and I can't justify her eating better than I and most of the people in town. She isn't a fussy eater, so she has no trouble eating her food. The problem is, she isn't chewing. She's snarfing it down whole, and then spends a very long time moping and sniffing beside the closed door to the room I keep the food in. The kibble I'm feeding her gets very good reviews...it's Kirkland brand, meat is the first ingredient, and there is filler, like brown rice and barley, but no corn. And I'm feeding her more than the recommended portion, so I don't know why she's so hungry and not chewing.

I feel terrible switching her to kibble, but this is how it has to be for now :(

alot of dogs do this there was a thread about it a little while ago cant find the thread but there was an idea of putting small balls in the dog bowl so the dog has to eat slower or theres bowls you can buy hopefully someone else knows what im talking about and can link you but they have a raised middle so the dog has to chew around it and eat slower

hope this helped a bit

I used to put a HUGE rubber ball in Aleus bowl to make her eat slower, however, if its the kibble size.... The only thing you could do is buy a kibble with large biscuits and supervise her or consult her vet. It's not normal for them to not chew.

Stacey xxx

They also make bowls with raised parts in the bottom of the bowl. That really helps jewell.

Another thing I used for Jewell was to throw in a few ice cubes so she had to dig around them. That only worked for awhile though since she learned to take the cubes out and continue eating. lol

Depending on the type of dish you use you can also just trun the bowl upside down and put the kibble in the lip that is usually on the underside of a metal or plastic bowl does the same thing as using a ball or those special dishes and forces them to slow down when eating, you can also hand feed her and try to get her to slow down by just feeding a handful at a time.