Zena day with Becky

Austinville

After touring the area with Gigi, I thought I'd spend some time with Becky. Did you know there's an entire community named after this esteemed (cough, cough) Husky-Owner member?! Hey, I was surprised too! Anyway, we were a busy pair!

We started our day with a cup of good old American coffee. While I love tea, the coffee really had me zippin'!

coffee.jpg

Before we took off for the day, Ryn took me for a walk. She walks pretty fast, so I had a hard time keeping up. Becky says it's cause she has longer legs than I.

RynWalksZena.jpg

Becky (AKA Austinville) made sure I was safely in the car seat before we left for the day.

carseat.jpg

We drove to Becky's neighbor's house (who also happens to be her MIL). Interesting pair these two! Her name is Sandy. She and her two poodles, Angel and Winnie,took me on a tour of Austinville, in their golf cart. Guess it's the preferred mode of transportation in a place this small. Did you know the community is named after our own Austinville - AKA Becky - Well, that's what she likes to think!

TourGuides-1.jpg

Taxi.jpg

This is 'downtown' Austinville....pretty quiet place and I worried that we'd find nothing to do. Boy was I surprised...

StreetsOfAville.jpg

We visited Voss Studio, one of three businesses in the village. This is the studio and my photographs that we had taken:

VossStudio.jpg

ZenaPortrait.jpg

ZenaPortrait2.jpg

Then, we were off again. I was nearly picked up and carried off by an eagle....Boy, was I terrified!

PickedUpByEagle.jpg

To calm me down, Becky took me to another place where I had a slow, easy ride in a covered wagon. The owner was so nice about letting me go. The horse was a bit stiff, and the wagon rough, but it was fun.

CoveredWagon.jpg

We stopped at the Austinville Church. I couldn't believe that Austinville had a church named after her......she must be really important! Though I did ask, and residents told me that Becky isn't whom the town was named after - she took her screen name from the town. Can you believe that. Sheeez.

AvilleChurch.jpg

This is the Austinville Post Office, where Becky mails out her letters. It used to be a bank which was actually robbed in 1988. Shortly after that, the bank closed the branch and it became the post office. Unfortunately, It will be closing on June 1, a victim of the U.S. Postal Service's negative spending.

AvilleBank.jpg

Then, it was off to check out the elevator. In years past, each community was defined by the elevator where farmers of the area take their grain to be shipped out after harvest. It's normally a busy place, but we visited after hours so we didn't get run over by all the tractors!

elevator1.jpg

I was kind of scared as it was a big place, so Angel posed with me:

elevatorWangel.jpg

Our next stop was to see this massive machine. Becky says they are working on the railroad tracks and this is the machine they use to fix them. I hopped right up on the steps for a photo. It made me look very small!

TrainWork.jpg

Another view of it

TrainWork2.jpg

These are the tracks leading east out of Austinville. (Towards my home in the UK. I got kinda homesick when I thought about that, so it was time to move on. I miss you Mum!)

TracksEast.jpg

As we moved on, I couldn't resist getting a photo of the front of the Austinville Elevator. Take note of the "Slow Moving Cats" sign on the pole. Pretty nice of the community to help out cats that way. We huskies know how slow they can be, but for humans to notice, well, this must be a special place to live. (Either that or they have some really slow cats here - I didn't see any so can't honestly tell you how slow they are.....

AvilleElevatorFront.jpg

This is the public school which was closed many years ago in Austinville. Becky assures me that local children do go to school, just in a neighboring town.

AustinvilleSchoolhouse.jpg

This is the front of the automobile repair shop that Becky's husband, Scott, owns and operates. He was gone on a fishing trip to Detroit, Michigan, so there wasn't much going on. I hope to be able to visit it when he gets home and see how things work there!

ScottsShop.jpg

Our tour over, we went back to Becky's where we worked in her many flower gardens. We did a lot of digging and had to get out the quad to pull a wagon load of weeds. I love the quad! It was great fun!

ZenaDrivesQuad2.jpg

ZenaDrivesQuad.jpg

Then I had to smell the Serviceberry blooms.......MMMMMMM.

Serviceberry.jpg

By this time, it was time to go back to Gigi's for the rest of my stay in Iowa. Ryn was pretty upset that I was leaving already. This is a photo of her when Becky told her I was leaving. "What do you mean that it's time for her to go?" Poor Rynnie! Maybe I can stay with them another day!

WhatDoUMeanShesLeaving.jpg

Fantastic Pix :)

Zina is obviously having an absolute blast over there in Iowa.

Thanks for looking after our intrepid li'l explorer so well .

:laola:

Great post Becky, loved the stories and pics - looks like a great town. I always wondered about your forum name.

Sad to see that lovely school empty though, the same thing happened here with schools amalgamating.

Great pics Becky. Zena sure is having a blast in Austinville.