Need advice about Huskies and the sun!!

moonandwolf

Hello everyone!

Could someone give me some advice concerning walking Huskies in the sun? When is it too hot to walk them?

It is 22°C today, really sunny, but I dont want to deprive them of a walk if its ok. Just scared of overheating them!

I always walk them around 9pm which is lovely and cool and they can run around but in the morning its hotter unless i start taking them out around 6ish.

Thanks!

Where i live 22 isnt hot LOL 40 is hot

I would just avoid walking them in the middle of the day when the sun is at its hottest, the morning and evening will be okay, if its really hot just don't walk for as long and bring lots of water.

I find when its really hot my huskies would prefer to lay on the cool tiles all day than go for a walk.

We have a small clam pool that i fill with some water for them to play in and give them ice cubes as well

Walk them in the morning and the evening try to avoid walking them in the middle of the day but if you do take lots of water keep them in as much shade as possible and let them have rest stop if you have a swimming pool put water in the pool so they can get go in there to cool down my guys hate the heat so I take them for a quick walk in the morning and a long walk in the evening I let them on the field oppersite my house for half hour early in the morning to have a run on there retractable leads until I get some long lines

LOL I'm with Rose. It's been right at 100°F here this week and it's not even the hottest time of year! Just be smart and keep an eye on them if you do walk them in warmer weather. Walk them in the cooler mornings or evenings. Have a small pool for them to splash around in. My boy Sid isn't really bothered by the warmer weather but Bella on the other hand is a big baby. If its even slightly warm, she just wants to lay around. When its been as hot as it has been we only go outside in the afternoon to potty...otherwise we stay out of the heat!;)

Most important thing.

Even if the Vet tells you it's ok. . .

DO NOT SHAVE YOUR HUSKY.

Because they have a double coat their skin is never exposed to the sun

If you shave your husky they can get bad sunburn even on a mild sunny day.

Also their temperature regulation is design around the insulation of the undercoat.

Just don't walk them at the hottest part of the day.

When you do take plenty of water and let them rest in shade.