Raw Food Help Please!

Hiya,

Can someone please help me with the whole raw food diet thing. Before I came on here I never thought about what exactly I was feeding them, mine have cooked dog mince for the butchers and average dry biscuits from Morrisons. Well, since reading all the posts on here I actually had a look at my dog food and the main ingredients are cereal and animal derivatives.

I've read through all the info on here and had a look on the net and I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all. I'm not sure how much I should be feeding, and what I'm allowed to feed, ratios of the different meats ect, recipes and stuff. Also cost, I don't have a lot of money and having a few dogs I obviously want the best food at the best cost. And teeth, isn't the raw food bad for their teeth? I remember when I was a kid we had a staffy who had always eaten wet food and her teeth were really bad late in life because of the wet food.

Agghh! It's so confusing! Somebody come round and feed my dogs please!

I'm a bit embarrassed to post this to be honest so please don't have a go, they all look healthy but I know they need a better diet.redface.png

Sam xx

i am no expert and i do part raw feeding and part good grade kibble (but not at the same time). Although i am doing more and more raw now.

I buy a large 2KG frozen chicken pieces from tesco for about £2.80 and that lasts my 2 dogs 2 meals. (depfrosted first though). I add in odd bits of different products too - liver etc. You need to be careful with pork and beef products though.

As a general rule its about 3% of their body weight i think...anyway i feed my 23KGS male approx 600g per day and has thrived well.

As for the teeth, its actually good for their teeth.

If you can do a deal with your local butcher or abatoir then its possible to feed them very cheaply. A friend does raw only and says its about £1 a day per dog.

The main thing to remember is any added fruit and veg is eaten but is not digested by the dog, you need to change its format...i.e. mash or blend it like a smoothy and give to your dog. that way he will obtain the nutrients. Try giving him a carrott...and it will be enjoyed but come out pretty much the same as it goes in therefore not digested and no nutrients obtained.

There is a dedicated raw feeding forum but i dont know the name of it.

Hon dont be embaressed and of course we wont have a go we all have to start somewhere!

TBH if your dogs diets are working at the moment (no sloppy poos or anything) then I wouldnt advice changeing anything to drastically anyway... start off slow, say maybe going to your local butcher and seeing what deals he will cut you for chicken wings bought bulk? That is one major consideration to think about, freezer space! If you want to feed raw and make it echonomical you need to have a good amount of dedicated dog freezer space to store your haul in! I am actually just looking for a nice little chest freezer myself! LOL

Then when you know you have a good supplier get the wings in and just give 3-4 to replace one of the regular meals to see how they get on (Im assuming you feed more than one meal a day???). As for your concern about the teeth feeding raw bones will help the teeth waaaay more than any dry food ever could the bones act as little tooth brushes to scrape off plaque, the problem with wet food is that its soft mushy and cooked so yep it does stick to the teeth and with nothing to scrape it off their teeth do suffer for it.

Don't be embaressed we all have to learn and i'm still learning.

my 2 have raw they love it, they do have a little kibble first thing in morning off my hubby before he goes to work so i don't have to get up too early, but my 2 know at 8am it's breakfast time and they let me know about it talking to me lol i have my frozen meat & chicken wings delievered by a company Durham animal feeds who only cater for dog food costing around £30.00 a month for 2 dogs plus i get bones, carcass what ever they got on day from local butchers for free