Apparently I know nothing at all.....

calvinandmommy

First let me say sorry this is long. And sorry if I kind of babble on.Today Calvin had a play date with a husky that we met a few weeks ago on a walk. Ive never been made to feel like such an idiot before. Hannah (husky's owner, name has been changed) made me feel like anything and everything Ive done with Calvin already is wrong or bad. Her husky's name is Nanook and he is about a year and a half old. Hannah used to live in Las Vegas and she had some trainer come over once a week to train Nanook. Apparently this trainer charged like $300 a session and each session was about an hour long. I thought that was nuts! And also this trainer was crazy strict if Hannah didnt walk Nanook before the trainer gets there or the trainer could see that she wasn't working on Nanook then the trainer would say forget it an leave. The trainer made her clients sign a contract about all this stuff. Well anyways she kept saying "my trainer says to do this or my trainer said to do that." It was crazy annoying. I told Hannah I feed Calvin 3 times a day and she told me that Calvin is going to get fat. She feeds Nanook 1/4 cup a day. Thats it 1/4 cup a day! No wonder I could almost see his ribs. She gave Calvin a Jumbone treat thing without asking me and when I wasn't looking. Calvin can't have those because they upset his stomach. Well Nanook tried to take Calvin's Jumbone away from him and Calvin said no. Hannah jumped in there and immediately started chasing Calvin around the table trying to get him and show he shouldn't run away with treats. Are you serious lady a dog twice his size just tried to take his treat what to you expect. Oh and apparently Calvin running away with his treat his a sign of aggression. If anything I would think that is more of being scared thing being aggressive. She finally caught Calvin and yanked the treat from his mouth and pinned him on his side to the ground. She ended up twisting his foot in the process and started whining and screaming. Hannah just kept going and told me I shouldn't talk to Calvin while she is doing that. I have no problem with somebody showing me another way to train my dog but seriously please ask before you start throwing my dog around.Next after Calvin "calmed down" she let Calvin and Nanook outside. Nanook kept trying to body slam Calvin and Calvin kept barking and sort of baring his teeth at Nanook. I was going to separate the two dogs but Hannah quickly told me no let them. Ok you want me to let my dog show aggression towards your dog but when he shows aggression by keeping his treat away from you thats bad. She kept saying whatever Calvin was doing was aggression. I was getting really irritated. When she pinned him down he was fighting it by putting his feet on her so that aggression too. Oh yeah and digging is aggression.One more thing. I make frozen treats for Calvin sometimes that have bananas, strawberries, yogurt, and honey. I told her about them and of course before I could finish telling her about the treats she told me that yogurt is bad for dogs. That confused the heck out of me. Yogurt Ive been told is good for dogs!

Now I know Im probably not the greatest trainer fro my dog but Im doing the best I can. I definitely don't like a lady saying anything and everything I do is wrong. Anyways needless to say Im not going over there again. She talks loud and is very demanding. And they have this crazy loud bird so I have a headache now. Just thought I would tell you all about my crazy day.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm think i'd have turned round and said.. well pay that trainer to be your friend.. because if someone had pinned my dog to the floor without a damn good reason (that was not) i'd have pinned them to the floor !!

PS I must be evil.. my dog has treats of banana etc.. and YOGHURT - so sue me..

I didn't want to be rude lol. Thats why I never said anything to her. Ive never been a person to just be like screw you and leave. Well except when somebody pushes me at the club. And also I was pretty much in shock the entire time I was there. Im sure if my husband was with me we wouldnt have been there but 10 mins. Its good to know Im not the only one that thinks this lady is nuts.

My mouth dropped when i read this!! I am so shocked that you didnt kick this woman out the door! I DARE ANYONE TO PIN MY DOG TO THE FLOOR!! Theyll soon know what becomes of them!!! And as said before unless there was good reason to reprimand your dog like that (maybe absolute serious aggression) which there wasnt in this case then she should clear off!! :banghead2:

I have a rule, you touch my dog and I kick your ass :) people are stupid, and sometimes you just gotta say nothing and walk away. and I hate, with every ounce of hatred I have in my body, people who think they know dogs and yet have other people train them. I mean, seriously? dont people realize how stupid that sounds? if you know dogs then train your own damn dog, and I don't care what your stupid trainer has to say.

I don't know everything about dogs, but at least I know enough to train mine while maintaining and up-most level of happiness. I've seen a lot of "trained" dogs and to me they all seem miserable because they live to do everything a person says, and not what they want, and sadly the person is stupid in most cases so you have a dog doing things a stupid person says.

Sorry, I know someone like that lady whom we have to interact with often because she is family, so people like that make my blood boil.

Like someone said before, I don't know how you could go through all of this! I would have been spitting like a feral cat! Poor Calvin!

Let me train MY dog like I mean to... Even if it's not what a 300$ an hour trainer would recommend... I understand your frustration.. I don't let anyone else reprimend my dog..

I didn't want to be rude lol. Thats why I never said anything to her. Ive never been a person to just be like screw you and leave. Well except when somebody pushes me at the club. And also I was pretty much in shock the entire time I was there. Im sure if my husband was with me we wouldnt have been there but 10 mins. Its good to know Im not the only one that thinks this lady is nuts.

Don't be worried about being rude. At the end of the day you are responsible for your dog, you are their protector and it's your right and responsibility to stand up for them. Neither you nor your dog deserve to be treated that way :)

I don't know everything about dogs' date=' but at least I know enough to train mine while maintaining and up-most level of happiness. I've seen a lot of "trained" dogs and to me they all seem miserable because they live to do everything a person says, and not what they want, and sadly the person is stupid in most cases so you have a dog doing things a stupid person says.[/quote']

A good trainer will always maintain a good attitude in their dogs, and their dogs work for them happily because that IS what the dog wants to do. I challenge anyone to look at my "trained" dogs and tell me that they don't clearly love to work ;)

"I have a rule, you touch my dog and I kick your ass."

:giggle: Oh, this is so me. You do not, ever, touch my dog without my permission, especially to punish for something.

Better control than I at least.

Am I confused? Why'd i get -rep for being shocked? blink.gif

lol. Maybe it was a mistake...anyway....I fixed it and gave you a rep so its back on 0 ;)

I would have snapped if she had done that to my dog. I would have grabbed Calvin and left. She is obviously a total nut case!

lol. Maybe it was a mistake...anyway....I fixed it and gave you a rep so its back on 0 ;)

I would have snapped if she had done that to my dog. I would have grabbed Calvin and left. She is obviously a total nut case!

Haha thanks :P

Yeah seriously, she had no right treating someone else's dog like that, or any dog for that matter. I've heard of a knee to the chest to deal with over-zealous dogs who can't be taught not to jump up otherwise, but that's just crazy, especially with the whole pinning him down and twisting his leg?? Accidentally or not, if the poor thing was in pain you'd think a normal person would stop and reconsider.

If it was me, I'd report her. Really, imagine what her poor dog has to live with!