how many of you actually DONT have pet insurance?

BingBlaze n Skyla

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a portion of my emergency funds is for athena. no pet insurance. it's a nice idea but i don't think i'd be able to keep making those monthly payments. instead, i put away about $100/month for about a year before we got her. this is money that i've sworn i will not touch except for a real athena related emergency. we haven't had to use it yet...

We don't have a choice out here, no companies offer pet insurance. One did a while back but scrapped it when only 2 people took them up on the offer. OH and I are terrible at saving money, mostly because of the cost of living vs. what we earn. Our vet is brilliant though, he never seems to care when we pay - obviously we never keep him waiting more than say a week but it's nice to know he's flexible and would definitely help us with a payment plan if something serious were to happen to Nadia or the pusscats. I don't have money put away at the moment but we do have a credit card we don't touch with a large limit set aside just for vet expenses.

we have both dogs insured, to start with Gem was a stray rehomed via dog warden (in the vets on her way to be PTS) It turned out she was an amazing escape artist and every time we covered one route she found another one so our priority was to make sure we were fully covered for liability and expensive treatment. We live in the country so are surrounded by livestock too. At the time we got her the vets were friendly with my dad, so we were always treated very well (and cheaply) by them. They have since retired and although the service remains very good we now have to pay for everything and I think there are more extensive treatments available now for conditions which a few years ago would have meant pts. These also tend to be very expensive and I didn't want to have to opt for the pts option just due to money. Any savings we accumulate just disappear on other stuff usually the kids or the car and my washing machine is now acting up. So for us insurance is the way to go.But I can understand that it seems a waste if no claims are ever made. - it should allow you to build up a no claims discount like car insurance.I have never claimed for Gem (so far)

All 3 of my dogs are insured, i wouldnt ever cancel it, you never know when they might need it.

£150 vet bills are all well and good, but if they were to get seriously injured, break a hip, get HD etc then the bills arent going to be £150, more like £1500.

Not to mention public liability, I dont have the money to pay out if my dogs escape one day and cause a RTA, my insurance covers us up to 1.5mil.

I opted out of the extra bits n pieces, like payout on death, holiday cancellation etc etc, we're very unlikely to ever need it, and when my dogs are gone the last thing on my mind is going to be getting my hands on £70 (which is the minimum amount you can say they cost)

For £37 a month, the piece of mind is worth it, even if we dont use it. I mean it cost us over £60 for a small infected dewclaw, we'd be screwed if they were seriously injured.

Mine are both insured and i've always had my dogs insured, just to give an example i've claimed more on pet insurance over the last 10 years than i have on my car insurance !!!!! I understand what everybody is saying about saving up but to be honest i would find it hard not to dip into it if i suddenly needed some money for something else, and there is the liability factor too you never know who will try and claim or blame your dog for something if they ever got out. The other thing is my vet always gives me options and tells me the pros and cons and the price, because mine are insured i never factor in the price, just decide which is best ....... and no its not always the most expensive option but i wouldn't like to have had to rule something out completely because of price.

My previous dog Storm ended up costing around 3k in vet bills towards the end of his life so i was very happy i had the insurance, on the other hand my mums dog Gizmo lived until he was 15 and pretty much never had any problem at all so she did feel like it was a complete waste. I just think its one of those things you will only regret not having when you need it ......... did that make sense ??

ive seen ALOT of threads about insurance n what insurance is best n whos with who ect and i find it ALL very confusing lol - we dont actually have pet insurance - we have money kept by so if we need it, its there - in all the 8 and half years weve had bings he has never been insured n never really had any serious problems that caused us to need it - he got his dodgy back leg but we got that sorted thru the pdsa so for us to pay for insurance for bings would actually probably be a waste of money

so my question is does anybody else not have insurance? we cant be the only 1 who keeps money by instead

I've never bought pet insurance and have been having pets since 1981...not sure I would know how to sort it all out, either. Might consider it though when I get a full time job and a third husky!

Great topic Nix! I've been considering insurance for a few weeks now. Really since I got Bella. I WOULD NOT be able to afford an emergency if something happened so that's what scares me the most. I like the idea of setting money aside every month but being on a limited budget, I can't put that much aside(enough that would make much of a difference anyway). I'm trying to finish paying off credit card debt so once I get that paid off, things may change. I've been looking at PatPlan and QuickCare insurance.

the thing with putting money aside is that when your only just starting, if they hurt themselves then you might not have enough saved yet. Whereas with insurance you have to wait 14 days then you can claim as long as it isnt a pre existing condition.

I'm awful at saving too :rolleyes:

Polee is insured and has been since I first brought her home and it's turned out to be the best decision I've made. In the last 2 years the insurance has paid out over £2000 in claims against the policy and I've recently increased her level of cover with Direct Line as I'm very happy with the service and cover they provide.

None of my pets have ever been insured. (Though they have better health care than I do!) Here in the U.S. (Iowa anyway) pet insurance is a relatively new option for pet owners, unlike the UK where it's common practice.

I am fortunate that my vet is willing to work with me when and if problems arise with my pets. He also understands what I will or will not do, care wise for them. I do have a savings plan in place for Ryn's care and contribute twice a month to it.

They go in more often than I do for routine care and for those raskly emergencies - so they honestly do have better care than I.

With a dozen or more dogs, there is no way we could afford insurance at the kind of prices charged. Luckily our vet is brilliant and because he gets so much SHWA business from us, he gives our own dogs the same discount that SHWA gets.

Mick

We have insurance for our 2 and our Cat. Purely for peace of mind in case anything major happened we are certainly not able to fork out £100's or £1,000's and would hate to think of the alternative! Also 3rd party liability is useful. Just our personal choice :)

its a shame pet insurance cant be incorporated somehow with home/buildings insurance that most people have,that way it would maybe keep the premium down a bit and more people might find it more affordable,and that way those with older boys/girls will be able to benefit from having them insured too!