Walky-Dog questions....and training for pulling!

Removed #2

First thing is...do you Walky Dog?

Second...when you do, how fast do you go? When we hook them up they are raring to go...barely ever pedal, but not sure we want to let them pull. We are considering this kind of like a training as we are also considering building a sled for winter...and maybe a larger pack. So if you train your dogs in the spring/summer for winter, is there some kind of plan we should follow regarding pulling, time, breaks, etc...???

Third...does your dog always look like he's on an angle?

Here's what's happening....Jackson is still learning, and is doing better, but still gets distracted when on the Walky Dog. Also, he is on an angle, fearful of the bike we suppose, but it appears his outer front leg is crossing under the other one, and it's looking like he is running on the side of his paw. While Andy is still pulling a little on an angle, he appears to be running flat footed.

They love doing this, because they can go faster and longer and harder than just a walk, and we love it too, except for the stupid people that don't move out of our way and stand there with their fluffy ankle biters on retractable leads, owners with mouths agape and dogs yapping away and strolling onto the path.

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcomed!:clap::dog3:

I have walky-dog!

You arent necessarily supposed to let them pull lol, but with huskies it cant be helped. try to see if you can teach urs to go at a steady pace tho so they dont go 80mph and have a heart attack from exhaustion. I love the walky-dog

Oh, and yes, mine always look like they are leaning when we are biking. take water with you for them and make sure to let them break after about 20 minutes, and rest for a bit. If you let them they will go til they pass out.

I use a Walkydog. Make sure you wear a helmet if you don't already!!

I go at a general soft pace unless I am on a straight and there's no one on it, in which case, we pick up the pace. Skip to 2:51 in this video of me and my dog and it will show you how fast we go on a straight:

8N4yay85yx4

I kind of one side pedal as I let Aleu pull on it.

However if yours REALLY want to pull, then why don't you consider bikejoring in stead? I'm thinking of starting it very soon.

Im not sure what you mean by the angle. Sorry.

Stacey xxx

Yes, we went and bought helmets since we decided to do this. I do think they would enjoy the bikejoring...but not sure how different it is except for being in front...as they both pull on the side also, but go straight ahead. At this point, we need some control with Jackson because he is so ADD that he will be easily distracted as much on the bike as he is walking. Andy is much better and all business, whether walking or running. Most of the time we are riding our brakes and barely have to pedal. 20 minutes is about the longest ride, and that's usually up to the coffee shop and then we all have a break, drink, and treat, and ride home. It's just about a mile or so. They love it, but I think they will love pulling even more. We are doing this in hopes of maybe building them a sled for the winter. Glad to hear that someone else's husky leans. We were considering giving them more lead so they can be further out but worry about the stupid people that won't move out of the way when they see us coming. Maybe if they were in front it would be better for everyone. We have a hard time sometimes keeping a decent pace walking because they want to go so fast.:dog3:I agree also that they will go till they drop...kind of like my lab would do with tennis balls!!!

If you're not sure about bikejoring, you could ask is theres someone in your area that will let you try it all out?

@Sarah and @Sid_Wolf have kindly said that if I go up to husky camp in October, I can try out some pulling with my girl =] If she takes to it well, I'll probably get some ganglines and start myself.

Stacey xxx

We have a walky-dog

Echo, my white GSD trots alongside me.

Darwin, pulls me at up to 25MPH !!!!

We are teaching ours to walk nicely.

But when on the bike, they can let loose.

Trying to stop a Husky pulling, is like asking them not to shed either.

It's a force of nature, and will not be denied.

I hear ya on the force of nature and pulling. Andy is much better at leash walking, but until Jackson came to us, he had never been on a leash, and we aren't certain of his age. They estimated 6 but he acts much more like a toddler around 2-3. They just love to pull and don't really care who or what is on the other end!