Zena and I go to the Feedstore

sutsibe

Zena came along on my last trip to the feedstore, one which I make every couple of weeks, so I can stock up. It's in a slightly larger town than Aplington or Austinville (or even Ackley!), called Hampton, and it's the county seat of Franklin County (http://www.franklincountyiowa.com/). That means that the County Courthouse is there, where any licenses (drivers license, car license plates, marriage licenses, etc.) are issued, the Sheriff's department (they patrol the rural areas) is centered there, and so is the county court of law, as well as a variety of other county bureaucracies. We stopped for a brief photo-op on our way to the feed store.

The architecture is pretty typical of small-town courthouses. Also typical is the park across the street with a bandshell, and downtown shops bordering other sides. The County Courthouse tends to be part of the heart :heartbeat: of downtown in the towns that have them.

post-3916-13586071093745_thumb.jpg

When we arrived at the feed store, Zena had to stop and smell the flowers...

post-2533-13586071104004_thumb.jpg

Then she made some new friends...post-3916-13586071092334_thumb.jpg

I think she liked this Bulldog the best :heartbeat:

- until we went inside, that is! Make way for - :wub:

-

-

-

-

post-3916-13586071097953_thumb.jpg

They weren't too thrilled to meet either of us! Zena quickly grew bored with their standoffishness, and I wouldn't let her get down and "play" with them, so she went off looking to see what else she could find.

Woooo-hooooo - Taste of the Wild!!! :wow2:

post-2533-13586071105335_thumb.jpg

I figured I'd better get out of there before she spent all my money! On the way home, I mentioned seeing a herd of Deeres, and she got excited - until she took a look and saw what I was talking about!

post-3916-13586071096546_thumb.jpg

The terrain around here is gently rolling prairie, interspersed with streams and woods. The local farmers do a number of things to prevent erosion in their fields. They don't plow the soil any more than necessary, and generally only do a thorough job of it right before they plant their crops. They have started terracing the land more, which I'd like to get some pics of, but haven't, yet. They also leave grassy strips in areas where water tends to flow - hence, they're called "water-ways". I love the contrast of textures, and colors - between the browns of the soil and the bright green grass - now if only it had been a day with bright blue sky! :violin:

post-2533-13586071106276_thumb.jpg

This one and the creek below are just a little way north of Austinville...

post-3916-13586071095293_thumb.jpg

The ones below are between Becky's place and mine - looks like they're re-doing their water-ways. Once again, I loved the contrasts and colors!

post-2533-13586071101957_thumb.jpg

Until my grandfather, most of my mom's family farmed (Grandpa loved cars, so he became a mechanic!). Guess I've inherited their love of the land... Zena, however, was a little bored, and spent most of the trip home napping! She WAS on hand to supervise as I unloaded all the food, though. Unfortunately, no pics of that, as my hands were rather tied up for the duration! :P:whistling::pingu::goodnight:

post-1869-13585966847279_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585966847826_thumb.jpg

post-1869-1358596684833_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585966848835_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585966849352_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585966872722_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585966873606_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585966874323_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585966874998_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585966875657_thumb.jpg

post-1869-1358596687622_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585966876899_thumb.jpg

Lovely Pics, Gigi

Zena must be very well trained.

Those Ducklings would've been feathered nommage for my three. :o

oooh nice Gigi, always love seeing pics of where people live.. combination of being nosey and liking pretty countryside! :P Those ducklings are soooo sweet! Wish I had room for a little smallholding with some poultry and some goats! But then I would need a good secure space for the huskies or they would eat the lot! LOL Anyways nice to see the pics! :)

Great pics. Love the architecture on the court house. You should see the courthouse in Davenport, Iowa. It's pitiful compared to the one in Hampton.

Lovely Pics, Gigi

Zena must be very well trained.

Those Ducklings would've been feathered nommage for my three. :eek:

LOL, yes Andy and Brian, I think even Shad would have been hard pressed to leave them if he'd been there. I had to hold Zena back a little, when I showed her the ducklings - she thought Peking Duck sounded lovely! The walls of their box were fairly high, though, so it would have taken quite a bit for her to get at them on her own... :yahoo:

oooh nice Gigi, always love seeing pics of where people live.. combination of being nosey and liking pretty countryside! :P Those ducklings are soooo sweet! Wish I had room for a little smallholding with some poultry and some goats! But then I would need a good secure space for the huskies or they would eat the lot! LOL Anyways nice to see the pics! :)

:doglaugh: I can relate, Sarah - love seeing where others live and how it's similar/different! The countryside around here (at least in my opinion), while not spectacular in the way of the mountains out in the US western states or the Alps, or impressive like the Grand Canyon, is still pretty! Warm and inviting, rather than grand and awe-inspiring... As for the chickens and goats, I've considered them! Hard to find time to take care of more critters, though, and there is the issue of the dogs! A former pastor had suggested I get some sheep and rotate them around the property to keep my lawn mowed. I first pictured how they'd also fertilize it, then how I'd have to work to keep them confined (lots more fencing!), and then what would happen if a couple of dogs got to them... I'm still cutting the grass myself!

Great pics. Love the architecture on the court house. You should see the courthouse in Davenport, Iowa. It's pitiful compared to the one in Hampton.

Maybe because it would have been constructed earlier in the settlement of the state? That's too bad, though!