dog scam costs family dear

BingBlaze n Skyla

I'm sorry they have lost their money and their puppy,but as soon as anyone asked me to send any money anywhere alarm bells would ring

let alone not even going and meeting the pup and breeder in person

these sort of cons have had national press for a long long time now,i'm surprised people are still sucked into them

But this kind of case isn't rare, you know? =( LOTS of ppl still fall in the same hole

Yes, i know ,but thats my point

we hear about it time and again and yet still people keep falling for it!

there has been umpteen warnings about these scams and what worries me more so is the fact that people are quite prepared to hand over money

even though they have never met the pup and breeder....who would want to buy a dog this way?:huh:

Unfortunately there are sooo many of these out there it isn't even mildly amusing anymore. I've seen everything from the 'free' pet that would end up costing people a few hundred dollars in 'shipping' charges to scammers using the 'it belonged to my dead *insert, wife, mother, husband, son, father, or any other number of relationships here* and it's just too painful to have the pet around anymore' utilized in order to tug at both heart strings and wallets.

Some things to keep in mind when obtaining a new pet....

Your *puppy, kitten, horse, etc* Interwebs purchase is more than likely just a picture of an animal belonging to someone else if:

1. If it is advertised as free, and any sort of charge comes into play it is most likely a scam.

2. Anything from Camaroon, or just about any part of Africa is more than likely a scam...as is just about anything that's asking you to send money blindly in good faith to an individual in another country....is more than likely a scam

3. Preferring money orders or other unrecoverable means of transferring money is the ONLY acceptable way for transactions to be made...it is a scam.

4. Try a google image search for whatever breed of dog or pet you're looking to obtain. If the image appears multiple times in multiple places...it's quite likely that that's not a picture of the non existent air puppy you're attempting to buy (for example I've seen the picture of the dog sent in that article hundreds of times in the last two years).

5. Trying to make arrangements for someone you know in the area to come by and look at the pup is met with excuses ultimately explaining that it's impossible to do so...it's a scam.

6. You offer to have someone in the area pick it up for you and that's met with...again excuses about your air puppy being somewhere else.

7. You ask for references and they ignore you because of a limited grasp of english or just a general hope that you're dumb enough to send your money without your questions answered...it's probably a scam

8. LIMITED GRASP OF ENGLISH WRITING SKILLS...probably a scam

9. Just about everything I've read screams if you can't go see it...touch it...it's probably imaginary.

There are exceptions to this...such as world renowned breeders and the like...but well I'd like to think that they'd be almost as throughout at screening potential owners as owners ought to be when screening potential additions to their household.

It's really difficult to feel sympathy for people who believe a dog needs a passport to travel from Aberdeen and willingly send hundreds of pounds that they don't have to somebody they don't know. If a dog or anything for that matter is advertised as free don't hand over any money to get it :banghead:

very good point Lee, and

Obviously not nice for the family but they are saying they can't afford food for their kid now, then why hand over all that money.

Even if they got the dog they would still be skint.

Thats very true, they were buying a dog and taking food out their child mouth in the meantime. Perhaps they were hoping by saying that people were going to have a whipround

Im sorry but I have REALLY limited sympathy with people who do no research and just want a puppy because its free.. if its free why do you have to send money to anyone! in Camaroon or otherwise!?If it seems to good to be true then it is!

Do your research and don't get conned!

Agree with you and the others.

Also if spending out that money has now left them so skint they cant afford food

1. they shouldn't have done it in the first place, your health & children are a priority over buying a new pet

2. How would they have afforded to keep the dog & pay for food, vaccinations etc?

:duh:

I agree, I found Poppie on the internet whilst I was just browsing different breeds, I would not have bought her if i had to pay over the internet or if she was in a different state. I got in contact with them and organized to meet her first, made sure I could not only afford to buy her but pay for on going costs without putting me and my children out. I will only hand over money if I can meet and take the animal on the same day, or I will only leave a deposit if I can meet the animal if it is too young to leave it's mother and if it's a driveable distance! some people have a few kangaroo's loose in the top paddock