Should I rescue Red Rita?

Removed #2

MN34.19584507-1-pn.jpg

Okay, so on my morning cruise through PetFinder I came across beautiful, (but sad looking) Rita and can't handle the close resemblance to my Andy. Now here's the question...should we take the boys and go meet her? She's about the same age as them....she's been abandoned (her family did not come looking for her after being picked up as a stray)...and as much as I want a White girl, this is just killing me. What do you think we should do???:banghead::duh::dramaqueen::confused1:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I did know that I would get the needed encouragement, though I have concerns ....you can't walky dog three huskies with two bikes! But, you certainly can bikejore, can't you? It's not so far from home, and I should learn this week if I will be getting full time permanent (as permanent as employment can be) employment. If I hear that I will have the full time job, then I think I will follow through with going to meet her with the boys. We always say if it's right and meant to be, we will be shown the way there ! (Not religiously, but just like with our boys...we were going to go dogless for a while and....then came Andy & Jack!) I even love her name...and wouldn't think of changing it....as we have only changed Jackson from Miller (he'd been named after a beer can)....we have the room, though funds are questionable...and who wants a garden, anyway???Thank to all for the encouragement.:yahoo:

Go for it! She looks like she was made for you guys! :lovebone:

Oh and as for walking three... I do it all the time! I always take my two to go walk other peoples and one of the dogs I walk is a HUGE flaty retriever cross that pulls way worse than any husky Iv met! Totally doable, just look into walking belts!

Not at all worried about the walking, only the walky dog running with the bike, but they could go individually. We are going to call today. I can't believe nobody claimed her, and don't know if she is chipped though will be if she is mine. I agree that she looks like a part of our pack already and we are definitely weighing the pros and cons. And yes, as much as we love our huskies, there are always cons. Today is a very rainy day, so we may take a ride up there (about an hour) without the boys and meet her alone, first. If that goes well, since they are closed on Sunday, we will ask for a hold on her (maybe) and go back next week with the boys. Actually have Jackson's annual exam next Saturday, so we could talk to the vet about it also, and I don't see him thinking it's a bad idea!!! Next stop, investigating pet insurance and building a sled for the winter....:duh::banghead::lovebone::dog3::confused1:

I would go for it. Can't be any harm in looking :) I know you had your heart set on a white girl, but really - all these dogs are equally beautiful, so instead I would focus on the right dog for you and your situation, rather than the right colour. As long as they get on well, it could be win win for everybody.

ohhhh!!!!!!!

Good luck about the employment - everything happens for a reason i always say :)

Agree with all of the above - if you can afford it, have space for 3 and can cope with 3 - why not!!

GO GET HER!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

And keep us posted :P

Well we went and met Rita. She was a very calm, loving dog that obviously had spent time in a home with people that used a leash and taught her a few tricks. The unfortunate parts are that she was missing her bottom canines and some other teeth, and the ones left were in bad shape . She gave kisses and had the worst dog breath I've ever smelled, which could have been gum disease, or other health issues. We noticed that her pupils were not clearly defined, and she had a weird bump/knot at the end of her tail. They had her listed at 58 lbs, and if she was 40-45., that would have been pushing it. This particular humane society gives a coupon for a vet check. They have a "tech" look over the dogs, and that made us leary. She had very small feet, and was blowing her coat, but you could feel her ribs. Were our hearts bleeding, YES....but I have a hard time adopting and then having a vet check to find out that the dog is going to need more than fattening up and teeth cleaned. She had a cute little woo, which she did with us...and went outside in the rain, not seeming to mind, but we decided in the end, that she would not be able to keep up with the boys. We also think that their estimate of 5yrs was young, and while we are not looking for young or perfect, we are looking for a husky that can pull it's weight with the boys. Someone will adopt her as she is very loving, that we are sure of, so for right now, this isn't the girl for us. :erm:

Kill shelters aren't all bad. A good one will keep adoptable dogs till they get adopted. And yes sibes usually get adopted easily. The only problem is hopeing they go to a home that will keep them and not return them when they realize what huskies are all about.

She is very pretty, but you can't take them all home unfortunately. Or else I'd have about 20 by now! lol

lol hey if it's meant to be it would've felt right you gotta do whats right for both you and the fur kids. She sounds like a doll I bet she'll find a great home probably with an older couple as she sounds like she's well rounded and just ready for an easy life. Sara is right kill shelters are necessarily all bad and will try tooth and nail to get adoptable dogs into good homes or contact rescues to get them before they have no other choices left. Good luck with your job and don't worry your new addition with come along in due time :)

Kill shelters aren't all bad. A good one will keep adoptable dogs till they get adopted. And yes sibes usually get adopted easily. The only problem is hopeing they go to a home that will keep them and not return them when they realize what huskies are all about.

She is very pretty, but you can't take them all home unfortunately. Or else I'd have about 20 by now! lol

Yup....that's our problem...there are a few we would snap up in a second, but with two boys, we would like to even things out a little with some female influence. The picture was actually quite deceiving....she did not look terribly healthy, and that was most sad of all. Like I said earlier, we are not expecting perfection, and will only adopt a rescue or stray...not going the breeder/puppy route. But once I got a wif of her breath, I knew things weren't right with her more than just her teeth!:cry1:

sorry to hear things didn't go the way you would have liked! Hope Rita will find a loving home soon, hopefully with somebody who understands there is a lot of work to do with her. Your right for not taking her on an impulse, If her health problems are worse than you first. She's totally gorgeous though so I'm sure somebody will take her soon. When I saw that picture you put up, all I wanted to do was reach through the screen and cuddle her! I hope you find a more suitable addition soon! You can have my little terror of a white girl if you want! (JOKE!) :shrug:

sorry to hear things didn't go the way you would have liked! Hope Rita will find a loving home soon, hopefully with somebody who understands there is a lot of work to do with her. Your right for not taking her on an impulse, If her health problems are worse than you first. She's totally gorgeous though so I'm sure somebody will take her soon. When I saw that picture you put up, all I wanted to do was reach through the screen and cuddle her! I hope you find a more suitable addition soon! You can have my little terror of a white girl if you want! (JOKE!) :shrug:

Too bad you aren't closer, or at least on the same side of the ocean! The color isn't important, I'm just in love with Skyla Bear! Really, she is very loving, and didn't mind being hugged....though I thought I might crush her after being used to my boys. Her eyes were sadder in person, and ill looking, and my boys just would not understand! Thanks for the thoughts, from everyone!

Too bad you aren't closer, or at least on the same side of the ocean! The color isn't important, I'm just in love with Skyla Bear! Really, she is very loving, and didn't mind being hugged....though I thought I might crush her after being used to my boys. Her eyes were sadder in person, and ill looking, and my boys just would not understand! Thanks for the thoughts, from everyone!

Yeah Skyla is beautiful! I totally love Sid_Wolf's white girl Kira aswell, so stunning! My Indie is gonna be lovely when she's fully grown but she dosn't have the blue eyes. :redface1: