Horrible Tornadoes here in the States

moonlight82

Last nght, Joplin Missouri USA took a big hit.....supposedly it was an F5 tornado and so far 89 have been confirmed dead. A few weeks ago, Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia took a huge hit by a large tornado and storm system that killed almost 300. These thing seem to be getting worse. Some attribute it to global warming, others say iys just the El Nino weather pattern. Whatever it is, is needs to stop. We have had several close calls here as of late.

If at all possible, get a home with a basement (or at least a storm cellar) - hopefully with a reinforced area in it such as under the stairway. Keep an eye on the weather, both as to weather alerts and an eye to the sky, and if conditions threaten, get into your safest place and stay there! About 3 years ago, an EF5 tornado struck about 10 miles east of my house, staying on the ground for something like 40 miles. Only 7 people were killed (granted, it went through less populated areas than recent tornados have!), and it was attributed to people paying attention to the weather and getting to shelter in time.

Tornados are weird things. They can, as the one in Joplin, Missouri did, cover almost a mile width and go for miles. They can also hit one house and totally destroy it, hop over the next, leaving it untouched, only to destroy the next. We had several storms here in Iowa yesterday that produced smaller tornados. The storms kind of popped up out of nowhere - there was clear, blue sky with the occasional fluffy cloud here, and just east of here were severe storms. It's fortunate - out of perhaps 5-8 tornado reports in here in Iowa yesterday, there were no deaths, and no injuries that I heard of.

Tomorrow, they're predicting a high risk for more really nasty weather in the Joplin area and to the west - I hope and pray that things won't be as bad as they're predicting... :(

Here are a couple of links to the destruction in Parkersburg, Iowa 3 years ago (will be the 3rd anniversary on Wednesday the 25th) - Parkersburg is about 10 miles east of where Becky and I live...

http://data.desmoinesregister.com/parkersburg/parkersburg.php

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701&sz=all&va=parkersburg+iowa+tornado

There's one video taken from an ATM camera at a bank, which is really amazing! I helped with the clean-up after the tornado, and the destruction was astonishing. I picked up a marble on the street that was so chipped and worn you could hardly tell what it had been, and a coin that was similarly difficult to identify. Yet, in the middle of all that destruction, outside of a ruined home's foundation, I found a small, neat pile of paper clips - they looked as though someone had purposely put them there (when I would have expected them to have been scattered far and wide). :eek:

I'll have to take Zena over and get some pictures of what the town is like, now. Most of the home and businesses have been rebuilt, along with the town's high school (which is shared with my town, Aplington). :)

Just got done watching the news :( I really hope everyone in the areas affected are as ok as they can be this is just intense and downright disturbing. Part of the news explained how the hugs f5 that hit Japlin was actually a large tornado with several smaller twisters in the center that speeds up the wind and destruction ratios or something like that. Alot of the large tornadoes are made up of the smaller twister that increase the destruction ten fold :( really scary stuff. My thoughts and heartful hope is sent to all those in the areas and especially Japlin.