Siber Paws Breeders....what do you think?

Ice and Cripton

Oh dear, I have read this topic through and have found it very sad. I really can't see why someone would want to put their bitch through pregnancy just to keep one puppy. I too thought about breeding when I first got into the breed but after researching it and listening and taking in what others said I decided completly against it!

These were the main reasons I came up with for not doing it:

If anything happened to Willow my female I would be devasted and totally blame myself!

Vetting and finding good potential homes for the pups including home checks etc with a possibilty of having a big litter

Sleepless nights (i love my sleep far too much for that!)

High vets bills as insurance will not cover pregnancy issues

Lifetime commitment for taking the pups back, even after 10 years

All my dogs are KC reg but have not proven themselves as a good example in the showring as I don't show

There are many more reasons as well, a big one would be the amount of huskies needing new homes all the time coming into welfare.

Have you thought of a potential stud for this litter???

Just my thoughts x

ETA you can race huskies with certain organisations - not SHCGB ;)

Loads of studs i had contacted >> one is siberpaws, one is a woman who has shown lightly and is on champ dogs and has a kc dog >> a really nice sibe, i have done my research but like i said i might of changed my mind:rolleyes:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol i think she is a very good sibe, i would love to meet you...are you coming to the next meet up? I think she is a real pearl, calm, considerate, loving,loyal,obediant >> everyone always says how good she is, we have trained her to turn when i say gee or haw and so on (in harness) >> she actually hasn't got on a rig before though, she's only 11mnths >> she focuses on me and has excelled in all her training classes.

I would say one of your main reasons is she has no papers >> i think this system to be flawed >> they should not determine whether a dog is fit or not >>> but by many other things.

You must be thinking "typical pet owner thinking her pet is good enough to breed from" We thought Balto would be a good stud, and then we relised although we love him he is in NO way stud material lol :o so we got him done >> i really do think Alaska is a prime example of the breed.....

just read through again and noticed you wanted to stud balto.

as he is unregistered he would not be accepted as a stud dog any way

and you say youre 2 are brother and sister and i hope you was never thinking of breeding the 2 together

just read through again and noticed you wanted to stud balto.

as he is unregistered he would not be accepted as a stud dog any way

and you say youre 2 are brother and sister and i hope you was never thinking of breeding the 2 together

:eek: no, just becuase i don't think in some cases it's bad having unregistered puppies, it's doesn't mean i would in-breed, hence why i spent so much time talking about making sure they are healthy first:confused:

And we relised Balto is NO WAY stud material lol, we love him but like i said he's been done, got done at 6 months.

Ice, may I just ask you to list what you think Alaska has that would move the Siberian Husky as a breed forward, or in what way would she preserve the 'Standard' of the breed?

I know we all think our Sibe is the best possible dog in the whole breed, but is this really the case?

As I said earlier I intend to show Kiana (who is KC registered) and if she does well in shows, and show judges look at her as an 'excellent' standard of the breed, then and only then would I consider her for breeding. If she is not to a high standard then I will get her neutered, I don't want to see any more unwanted Huskies having to be rehomed by the likes of Mick and Terry.

I know when you look around on a day to day basis that there aren't many Huskies, but the truth of the matter is that Mick and Terry have requests to rehome many unwanted Huskies every week. i'm sure Mick or Terry could let you know the figures if requested. I do know that when I met them last month that they had 11 dogs potentially needing rehoming in that week alone.

Ice, good luck with your decision.

Ice, may I just ask you to list what you think Alaska has that would move the Siberian Husky as a breed forward, or in what way would she preserve the 'Standard' of the breed?

I know we all think our Sibe is the best possible dog in the whole breed, but is this really the case?

As I said earlier I intend to show Kiana (who is KC registered) and if she does well in shows, and show judges look at her as an 'excellent' standard of the breed, then and only then would I consider her for breeding. If she is not to a high standard then I will get her neutered, I don't want to see any more unwanted Huskies having to be rehomed by the likes of Mick and Terry.

I know when you look around on a day to day basis that there aren't many Huskies, but the truth of the matter is that Mick and Terry have requests to rehome many unwanted Huskies every week. i'm sure Mick or Terry could let you know the figures if requested. I do know that when I met them last month that they had 11 dogs potentially needing rehoming in that week alone.

Ice, good luck with your decision.

Sure lol, don't get me wrong i don't think Alaska could improve the breed..yet! She hasn't been hip or eye tested, or had certain blood tests done, and she hasn't run in harness on a rig before. What i can say is, she is intelligent >> has literally mastered her training courses, she is loyal, loving >> sometimes you hear about those sibes that are really naughty, boisterous and hyper (like Balto lol) but she is mischievous and has that husky, cheeky nature but she is calm and thoughtful. Very tolerant with kids and loves them to bits, she never scares kids by barking at them and she refuses to jump up at kids even if they say "hup hup" she lets them pick her up >> she would really be great at 'hug-a-husky'. She loves as a challenge and come back off-lead >> the chukchi's used to let their sibes go and hunt and they would come back >> so why are todays sibe so notoriously known for being so awful?

She embodies the racing sibe however is not as skinny >> some racing sibes now look more like whippets than sibes. Her tail doesn't curl over and touch her back like so many sibes do today >< she really is a pearl, but like i said she is in no way near fit to breed from.

I was just critiquing some of the kc's rules, that unregistered dogs are without papers and thats it! My point is Alaska could very well be up to the standard but will never get the chance ... thats my point.

Here's her:

[ATTACH]1795.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-80-13585943065146_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943034685_thumb.jpg

Some sibes are way too skinny >> how would they survive in the Chukchi's environment >> freezing!! and treacherous.

Other sibes have that curled tail which is a breed fault.

And the very heavy boned sibes, too large and look more like Malamutes.

[ATTACH]1796.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1797.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1798.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-126-13585943034945_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943039351_thumb.jpg

post-126-13585943039593_thumb.jpg

can i ask why she is not kc reg?

Her dad was KC and was a champion in China >> i saw all the papaers and googled his pedigree, and i was told the mum was kc with restrictions of not breeding until she was 2 years and she got pregnant at 1yrs 8 months:confused: I was told none of the puppies will not be kc and not recognised by the kc,

Then i was told they didn't even kc the mum because she would have restrictions on her, so they bought her unregistered for a smaller price and then paided extra for the registration.

Then i was told they didn't even kc the mum because she would have restrictions on her, so they bought her unregistered for a smaller price and then paided extra for the registration.

That doesn't make any sense. The only person who can register a dog with the KC is the breeder. If the breeder hasn't registered a dog, then no-one else can, no matter how much they are prepared to pay.

Mick

That doesn't make any sense. The only person who can register a dog with the KC is the breeder. If the breeder hasn't registered a dog, then no-one else can, no matter how much they are prepared to pay.

Mick

exactly what i thought mick we tryed to get our lab registered and we couldn't and the breeder wasn't prepared to we have the same problem with suka we would like him registered and he can be but the breeder will not do it so we stuck

Mick

sorry a bit off subject. Thanks mick for clearing that up for me. Has someone mention this to me just this morning. They had a Border Collie which they bought unregistered and they asked me if my boys where registered and I said yes and they asked me if I registered them myself or if they came registered becuase they wanted to know how they kc register a dog. Got me very confused that last bit.

Thanks again Mick

just to add to what mick said

only the breeder can register pupppies on the breed register how ever you can register a dog or puppy on the activity or companion dog registers your self if you follow the link i posted earlier on in the thread their is info there i know this cus i asked the kennel club myself when we had our lab.

Sure lol, don't get me wrong i don't think Alaska could improve the breed..yet! She hasn't been hip or eye tested, or had certain blood tests done, and she hasn't run in harness on a rig before. What i can say is, she is intelligent >> has literally mastered her training courses, she is loyal, loving >> sometimes you hear about those sibes that are really naughty, boisterous and hyper (like Balto lol) but she is mischievous and has that husky, cheeky nature but she is calm and thoughtful. Very tolerant with kids and loves them to bits, she never scares kids by barking at them and she refuses to jump up at kids even if they say "hup hup" she lets them pick her up >> she would really be great at 'hug-a-husky'. She loves as a challenge and come back off-lead >> the chukchi's used to let their sibes go and hunt and they would come back >> so why are todays sibe so notoriously known for being so awful?

She embodies the racing sibe however is not as skinny >> some racing sibes now look more like whippets than sibes. Her tail doesn't curl over and touch her back like so many sibes do today >< she really is a pearl, but like i said she is in no way near fit to breed from.

I was just critiquing some of the kc's rules, that unregistered dogs are without papers and thats it! My point is Alaska could very well be up to the standard but will never get the chance ... thats my point.

Ice - you asked me what my thoughts on this thread was the other day, i've kinda kept back on this as I don't want to personally become involved in a potentially controversial issue, however, I've not really added my two cents into this thread yet other than to say i've learnt a lot reading the various replies.

I hope you don't feel like you are being got at in any way, you've asked an excellent question and in turn had some great replies. You've taken comments on board and said "Alaska could very well be up to the standard but will never get the chance ... thats my point. " I think you've been very open and honest throughout the whole thread and given lots of people different things to take away :)

I want to put the following but just want to make it clear this is my opinion only and am in no way taking sides, or condoning anything.

How you have described Alaska is how i would describe Kimba lol . He too is loyal and loving, great with kids, is excellent at training. He's learning how to run with a bike / scooter and his first attempt at scootering was out of this world, he was 100% focussed, didn't go off course at all and did all the right turns, I couldn't have asked for more.

He's also KC registered. Having said that, I wouldn't breed from him, purely because I feel that there are more than enough dogs out there that need a good home and I think if i bred from him, I would be basically taking away potential good owners from rescue centres and giving them an easier option.

That isn't saying I don't agree with others who do breed their dogs, I just don't personally want to do it myself :)

Ice - you asked me what my thoughts on this thread was the other day, i've kinda kept back on this as I don't want to personally become involved in a potentially controversial issue, however, I've not really added my two cents into this thread yet other than to say i've learnt a lot reading the various replies.

I hope you don't feel like you are being got at in any way, you've asked an excellent question and in turn had some great replies. You've taken comments on board and said "Alaska could very well be up to the standard but will never get the chance ... thats my point. " I think you've been very open and honest throughout the whole thread and given lots of people different things to take away :)

I want to put the following but just want to make it clear this is my opinion only and am in no way taking sides, or condoning anything.

How you have described Alaska is how i would describe Kimba lol . He too is loyal and loving, great with kids, is excellent at training. He's learning how to run with a bike / scooter and his first attempt at scootering was out of this world, he was 100% focussed, didn't go off course at all and did all the right turns, I couldn't have asked for more.

He's also KC registered. Having said that, I wouldn't breed from him, purely because I feel that there are more than enough dogs out there that need a good home and I think if i bred from him, I would be basically taking away potential good owners from rescue centres and giving them an easier option.

That isn't saying I don't agree with others who do breed their dogs, I just don't personally want to do it myself :)

if you ever did decide to breed kimba don't think you stop people rescuing a sibe as if they was desperate for a sibe not every one can afford the 550-1000 or more for a registered sibe puppy or less for unregistered and they would there for probly go to a shelter

to qoute Raindog

BACKYARD BREEDERS ARE -

**Anyone who has a litter for fun, profit or by accident

i have to disagree with the by accident making them a back yard breeder.... my Tikaani came from Jackie62 who by no means is a back yard breeder all her dogs are well looked after and registered.... my Tikaani is a superb Husky and as good as any Husky from any respectable breeder...

i don't allways see eye to eye with Jackie but am very very offended that co's 2 of her dogs had a littler people would class her as a backyard breeder...

there are many legitimate breeders who have had mis-matings...and try and find the best poss homes for the off spring...

she was purchased with the knowledge that no breeding or showing was going to be part of her life... only fun enjoyment and running if she enjoyed it and she does....

also she has a home for life as a pet / family member ....

you dont get rid of a kid co's it dont make the grade ... so same apllies.....

my Tikaani is not KC registered but KC companion club registered from a supposed back Yard breeder who made sure that i wanted her for life...... Nikita is from a supposed reputable breeder and has had at 5 homes in her 4 years before she came to me and lived in a cage and in my view that breeder did not make sure that the 1st owner really knew what they were doing / getting into.. both my girls are both excellent examples of a Husky..

so make your own opinions on what is a back yard breeder or what is a reputable breeder !!!!!

well i am going to say one thing at this moment , how dare any off you call people back yard breeders without knowing anything about them. as this would inclue me................. my maya is not registered but koda is and yes an accident happened but what a lovely accident as i would not be without my puppies and tip which i kept. richard has had a pup of me knowing this and tikaani is the most beautiful thing. i no everyone has there own opinion on things but keep it to your self .sorry but i love my dogs and do everything i can for them and feel very hurt at this moment. my dogs are my world and i never throught anyone on hear would be so short sited.

well i am going to say one thing at this moment , how dare any off you call people back yard breeders without knowing anything about them. as this would inclue me................. my maya is not registered but koda is and yes an accident happened but what a lovely accident as i would not be without my puppies and tip which i kept. richard has had a pup of me knowing this and tikaani is the most beautiful thing. i no everyone has there own opinion on things but keep it to your self .sorry but i love my dogs and do everything i can for them and feel very hurt at this moment. my dogs are my world and i never throught anyone on hear would be so short sited.

Sorry Jackie, but I do not agree with you asking members not to have opinions on our site. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I understand you are upset at being labelled as one, however you should be using yourself as an example of why accidents can happen, not asking people to keep opinions to themselves. Without differenrt opinions we wouldnt exist.

As for everyone else. I will keep this thread open and will allow the conversation to continue, however please bare in mind that it states in the rules specifically All posts must be constructive in nature . We are very tollerant of people wanting to express their views however if I see anyone else blowing up, I will close the thread and end the conversation. We are a kind natured forum for people who own Huskies to talk to other people who own huskies. And that is the way it will stay.

Now please calm the conversation down.

You will notice that in my original post to which Richard referred, the term "accident" was in inverted commas. Of course anyone who owns an unneutered dog and an unspeyed bitch can have an unplanned mating - in the real world shit happens. However, my comment was aimed at those backyard breeders who have "accidental" litter after "accidental" litter. We have had lots of dogs into rescue and it appears that some breeders have an "accidental" litter every time their bitch has a season. The comment was aimed at those backyard breeders who use the "accidental litter" as an excuse, not those who have a genuine accidental litter.

Having said that, as long as you know a mating has taken place, it is extremely easy to get a "morning after" jab for your bitch to prevent unwanted litters. No-one is perfect and we have had a couple of unplanned matings. On one occasion the dog climbed up a 7' chainlink fence to get at the bitch, and on another, a dog jumped a 6' fence, broke through a window and mated a bitch. Luckily for us, on both occasions after we found the happy couples together, we took the bitches straight to the vet for an injection. Obviously you can't do this if you don't know a mating has taken place.

Mick

ps - just reread the thread and it wasn't actually me that made the comment, although I did agree with it as the "accident" was in inverted commas and I assumed it meant what I said above.

I am closing this thread now as I feel it has gotten way out of hand. The topic is very heated and something that people feel very passionate about, only its so passionate that people are failing to read things fully before reacting to them, and others are posting things in some quite undiplomatic ways.