To Neuter or Not!!

basketcase687

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get some advice and valuable opinions on neutering a male.We have 2 males,Thunder and Lycan.Thunder is not neutered and we don't think it's a problem,as he doesn't go round humping everything/everyone and is generally a good boy.(He can be a bit grumpy with other male dogs,but not neutered males)However ,just wondering how things are going to work out having 2 boys in the house.Lycan is still only a baby,just nearly 10 weeks old,so don't know if eventually it might be a problem keeping 2 unneutered males together.I have been told by my vet that when they are neutered it changes their coats but not necessarily their behaviour?(Our other 2 huskies are bitches,one is being spayed this Friday,and the other in a months time).I would welcome any comments or advice,as never having had a neutered male I don't know what difference it makes.

:S:

Thank you ,

Karen.x:confused:

never noticed it change my boys coat - tho he seems to have got softer n fluffier - not sure if thats due to neutering or not tho

im not sure about 2 un-neutered dogs tho as bings was already fixed when we got him

Okay,thank you for that,thats good news about the coat,(I Think!!),Do I really want them to get any fluffier??!!LOL.Only joking,I had heard their coats got coarser and didn't like sound of that!!!

Thanks,Karen.x:D

I've not had any change in Marley's coat since he was neutered,but,must say he has got grumpier since he was done.

i think you could have problems arise with 2 un-neutered males obviously when Lycan is older if they both decide to fight for dominance,but

if Thunder is of a laid back approach you may not,cant really say to be honest,some have 2 males together with no problem.

the only other thing i would say is neutering would eliminate any cancers forming in that area,which for me was reason enough to have Marl's done:D

I've not had any change in Marley's coat since he was neutered,but,must say he has got grumpier since he was done.

i think you could have problems arise with 2 un-neutered males obviously when Lycan is older if they both decide to fight for dominance,but

if Thunder is of a laid back approach you may not,cant really say to be honest,some have 2 males together with no problem.

the only other thing i would say is neutering would eliminate any cancers forming in that area,which for me was reason enough to have Marl's done:D

Thank you,Thats interesting about him getting grumpier though.He is grumpy with Lycan now,not aggressive,but doesn't like it when Lycan decides to stand on his head or clean his teeth etc!! The cancer thing is a def reason for neutering though.:thankyou:

My boys have gotten somewhat thicker, softer (not coarser) coats since being neutered. It won't necessarily calm them down, but with mine, it did. As well, mine have been actually more patient with other males (and puppies)! I'm sure that it varies by individual, however... :D

My boys have gotten somewhat thicker, softer (not coarser) coats since being neutered. It won't necessarily calm them down, but with mine, it did. As well, mine have been actually more patient with other males (and puppies)! I'm sure that it varies by individual, however... :D

The patience thing would def be good,and good to know their coats changed but not in a bad way.Suppose it's difficult to say for sure as you say,all individuals.:thankyou:

My old guy, Shad, was very impatient with puppies before he was neutered - very quick to correct them. After, he's much more gentle and patient with them. He was ok with cats before, but now, when he goes out to pee, all the semi-feral cats at my place come to see him! :P

My old guy, Shad, was very impatient with puppies before he was neutered - very quick to correct them. After, he's much more gentle and patient with them. He was ok with cats before, but now, when he goes out to pee, all the semi-feral cats at my place come to see him! :P

Well thats good to know,He could def do with some more patience with Lycan right now.Think Tundy boy was at the back of the queue when God handed out patience!!:D

Well I couldn't tell you what my boys coat was like before he was neutered as hes a rescue boy but it is now suuuuuper soft and silky, although personally I think its abit of a myth that neutering changes their coats I think it has much more to do with diet.

Behaviour wise my boy is my little fur angel nearly always well behaved and sweet... he can sometimes be a little bit humpy with other males but I think that has more to do with the fact that at home my girl is the boss of him and I'm boss of them both, so he doesnt get to be the boss ever and likes to see if he can be the boss of other boys! Personally I am massivly in favour of all pet animals being neutered as there are soooo many in shelters needing homes risking makeing more to me is not an option... it also reduces the risk of cancers and usually makes for a more docile pack! I think you shoudld do it but thats just my opinion.

Well I couldn't tell you what my boys coat was like before he was neutered as hes a rescue boy but it is now suuuuuper soft and silky, although personally I think its abit of a myth that neutering changes their coats I think it has much more to do with diet.

Behaviour wise my boy is my little fur angel nearly always well behaved and sweet... he can sometimes be a little bit humpy with other males but I think that has more to do with the fact that at home my girl is the boss of him and I'm boss of them both, so he doesnt get to be the boss ever and likes to see if he can be the boss of other boys! Personally I am massivly in favour of all pet animals being neutered as there are soooo many in shelters needing homes risking makeing more to me is not an option... it also reduces the risk of cancers and usually makes for a more docile pack! I think you shoudld do it but thats just my opinion.

Well Thank you Sarah,thats lots of info and food for thought,and all positive.I am all for docile packs living with 4 of them,and always feeling outnumbered!!:D.

Well thats good to know,He could def do with some more patience with Lycan right now.Think Tundy boy was at the back of the queue when God handed out patience!!:D

In my experience, they tend to be shorter on patience when not neutered - a lot of nervous energy goes into dealing with the hormones!

Sarah, I have noticed better coats with both genders after spaying/neutering. I think it has to do with less energy being used to make hormones and such - both genders do use a lot of energy when girls are in season!

In my experience, they tend to be shorter on patience when not neutered - a lot of nervous energy goes into dealing with the hormones!

Sarah, I have noticed better coats with both genders after spaying/neutering. I think it has to do with less energy being used to make hormones and such - both genders do use a lot of energy when girls are in season!

:thankyou:That is very encouraging,more patience

and better coats,No contest really.Sorry boys,Looks like times up!!!:D

:thankyou:That is very encouraging,more patience

and better coats,No contest really.Sorry boys,Looks like times up!!!:D

:huskyfall::rofl:Your poor boys! They won't know what's hit them! Enjoy all the extra brushing!!! Kidding aside, it's been my experience that neutering the boys has made them much easier to live with - I still get the occasional argument between them, but in general, it's more posturing than outright war. They will still pee in each others' kennels (most of the dogs live outside, as I have cats, and not all of mine like cats - for dinner would be the exception - breakfast would be fine, too!), but don't mark constantly. Add in the reduced risk of prostate cancer (almost zero) and the lack of risk for testicular cancer, and it's a win-win situation! :)

:huskyfall::rofl:Your poor boys! They won't know what's hit them! Enjoy all the extra brushing!!! Kidding aside, it's been my experience that neutering the boys has made them much easier to live with - I still get the occasional argument between them, but in general, it's more posturing than outright war. They will still pee in each others' kennels (most of the dogs live outside, as I have cats, and not all of mine like cats - for dinner would be the exception - breakfast would be fine, too!), but don't mark constantly. Add in the reduced risk of prostate cancer (almost zero) and the lack of risk for testicular cancer, and it's a win-win situation! :)

Sounds like all good stuff!.Tundy boy can be a bit of a nightmare when he sees other boy dogs but LOVES neutered males(Gets all frisky/humpy with them for some strange reason).It's hard enough to try and walk the 3 of them on a lead now,so would be pretty tricky once Lycan pup grows up(looks like he will be a big boy judging by his paws!).If it makes them calmer then that's a bonus,I was just worried about their coats changing.Do they still moult as much??(She with the 2 DYSONS!!)asks hopefully.!!:D

ok yet AGAIN i'm thinking I have broken Huskies :oops:

At present both my boys are UN neutered - never had to break up a fight between them - they play fight yeah and if i feel it's getting OTT i shout Oi and they stop.

Slightly off topic and I apologise to the OP but would them being brothers (but not littermates) make a difference??

Sounds like all good stuff!.Tundy boy can be a bit of a nightmare when he sees other boy dogs but LOVES neutered males(Gets all frisky/humpy with them for some strange reason).It's hard enough to try and walk the 3 of them on a lead now,so would be pretty tricky once Lycan pup grows up(looks like he will be a big boy judging by his paws!).If it makes them calmer then that's a bonus,I was just worried about their coats changing.Do they still moult as much??(She with the 2 DYSONS!!)asks hopefully.!!:D

Lol, more fur to come out! :yahoo:A nice, warm/hot bath helps loosen it up, and if you can get your hands on a blowdryer meant for dogs (high-force, low heat; some wash your own pet places have them, too), it can really get the bulk of the fur out fast! (Best used outside, if you should invest in one!)

At present both my boys are UN neutered - never had to break up a fight between them - they play fight yeah and if i feel it's getting OTT i shout Oi and they stop.

Slightly off topic and I apologise to the OP but would them being brothers (but not littermates) make a difference??

It might. Especially because the genetics would be more similar, which could mean both of them are more laid-back. Shad's son Kodi is very laid-back, and would have been fine with anyone, not being neutered. His son Raff would also have been fine - had he not ever gotten to breed! He got pretty full of himself after that!

That's interesting.It might make a difference because they are same age,were pups together etc.As Thunder is older than Lycan,maybe he thinks he is the boss.Lycan goes all weird around Thunder,almost grovels,licks his mouth,tries to clean his teeth and lots of other strange behaviour!!.Thunder thinks Lycans an annoying little pest!!:D

That's interesting.It might make a difference because they are same age,were pups together etc.As Thunder is older than Lycan,maybe he thinks he is the boss.Lycan goes all weird around Thunder,almost grovels,licks his mouth,tries to clean his teeth and lots of other strange behaviour!!.Thunder thinks Lycans an annoying little pest!!:D

they're not the same age, kimba turned 3 last month and kaiser is 2 x

Lol, more fur to come out! :yahoo:A nice, warm/hot bath helps loosen it up, and if you can get your hands on a blowdryer meant for dogs (high-force, low heat; some wash your own pet places have them, too), it can really get the bulk of the fur out fast! (Best used outside, if you should invest in one!)

Great,will be knee deep in fur me thinks!!.At the mo I rely on my beloved furminators,only bathing them about twice a year.When we brush them ,which is currently daily,cos 2 of them are moulting,we always do it about a mile away from the house.!!Furminators,Dysons and sticky rollers ,can't live without them!!:thankyou: