Well, Viggo got himself another prize

PnkFlyd204

Since owning Viggo, my boy has managed to kill a rat in my yard and bring it to my deck (as if to say look what I got for you Mommy), catch and kill a chipmunk that had managed to get into my aunt's house, and pick up and kill a shrew on our morning walk. All of these things were very sad but I never let them bother me too much. That all changed on Tuesday afternoon...

I was sitting on my deck, talking to my boyfriend on the phone when I noticed Viggo was sniffing around under my deck. I got up to look and see what he was doing. That's when I heard the squeak... sounded like a squeaky toy actually. I thought... "I don't remember leaving any toys outside." I was right. Viggo didn't have a toy. He suddenly ran off with a baby rabbit in his mouth. I bolted towards him and he dropped it. I picked it up. It was still breathing, and had no puncture wounds but it was bleeding from the mouth. In a matter of minutes, it passed away in my hands.

:cry1:

I lost it. I honestly don't know what came over me, but seeing something so small and innocent get killed really bothered me. I know Viggo didn't meant to hurt the little guy in any way and it is his nature to have a high prey instinct, but that really didn't make me feel better about the situation.

Just felt like sharing my story. Also curious if any of your huskies have manged to kill any wild critters.

That must have been so sad :( Kiska's never managed to kill anything yet but she's started chasing the birds over the field and has gotten surprisingly close considering she runs at them in an open field, these birds are too brave!!! :duh: I don't think I'd be too bad if she managed to kill a mouse or other small rodent as I keep and breed a lot of mice and as a result have had to learn to dispose of sick ones myself if you know what I mean, but if she ever managed to catch a bird or rabbit or something, both of which I keep/have kept as very well loved pets, I don't know how I'd react. I'd certainly have a hard time keeping my cool :S:

Bo killed three baby birds just the other day. I saw some blue jays swooping at him and I ran outside and at first I didnt see it. Then I got closer and Bo took his defensive stance and sure enough there laid a flopping baby blue jay. I said NO and he jumped and grabbed it, took off running from me, and we played catch me if you can for about 10 mins. When I finally got him to drop it, it had died. The next two days, I found two more of them. I don't knowwhere he's getting them though. I felt so sad afterwards. It was alive and the excitement got him stirred up and then it was dead. :(

Zoya has gotten a few mice and has dug up several moles. I don't know about Eisa yet as we've only had her about 6 weeks. But, our first husky had a very strong prey drive and managed to kill just about anything that wandered into our yard. Over 14 years, she managed to catch and kill raccoons, opossums, mice, rabbits, squirrels, a canada goose and many moles. All without suffering so much as a scratch! She was an awesome huntress. Yet, she was as gentle as could be with people, especially children. We didn't encourage her, it just came naturally to her. The only thing she wouldn't tackle was the deer that came through the yard. I did witness her catch a baby rabbit once. That did upset me. I just looked the other way and went back into the house.

• 3 weeks later...

I let Nya run in the back yard for a few minutes this morning while I was getting ready and when I came back out I too heard the squeek of her squeek toy, unfortunatly her squeek toy was inside at the time. She had two little baby rabbits that she was tossing up in the air just like she does with her bone and toys. I called from the deck and said "No!", she responded by dropping one of them, grabbing the other and bringing to my feet.... I put her inside and went back to check on the bunnies, the one in the yard was no where to be found. The one on the deck however was still there, not dead, still breathing but bleeding from it's little mouth, I didn't know what to do with it. I assumed it was going to die, but I didn't wanna be the one to do it, so I took it back to the bush where I thought she had found them and put her back it a hidden spot away from my little bunny slayer.

I can't help but feel a little sad but I have to assume this is normal for her to seek out little 'chew toys', I mean that's what instinct is telling her to do right? Outside of yelling 'No' when I noticed I didn't punish her as it doesn't seem right to punish her for her preditory instinct. On the other hand, I'd really prefer she didn't bring be little bleeding gifts of death.... suggestions?