What’s In A Name

Paranormal Wolf

So how did your husky come by its name and is there any special meaning behind it?

Bear was already named when we got him but since we like more unusual names we wanted to call him Kuma which is Japanese for bear. So we call him Kuma Bear, say it together a lot so he can get use to it. However we still mostly call him Bear, force of habit I guess. I don’t know if we’ll ever switch it over to just Kuma :P He will turn his head when we say Kuma so I guess we need to use it more and phase out the Bear part.

Now Koopa isn’t a husky but he is named after the koopa troopas from Mario :P Me and Tim are dorkey lol we once had another pit bull named Bowser (we miss him :( )

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first dog, Joy, was named for her mom (also Joy) because I liked the name. I will frequently run AKC names so that they somehow connect with ancestors' names - Joy's daughter was Ariel - her sire was Nathaniel. Her daughter was Gabrielle, who was Raphael's grandma - Raf's son is Ezekiel - so with that line, I have the angels (Raf's one sister is Angel) and a prophet with that *-el theme. I often use song titles or phrases, and connect the name somehow. Tux's AKC name is "Sharp Dressed Man", as in "Every Girl Crazy 'Bout..." one. Angel is "Callin' All Angels", Raf and Angel's mother, Katrina, is "Walkin' on Sunshine". Rebel is "Never Surrender" (BAD choice, lol!)

My best buddy, Shad, though - I almost wouldn't name him Shadow, since it's such a common name! He had an older half-brother who'd died young, due to a head injury that had caused a nasty brain infection - he was Wind Dancer. A friend suggested that I named his baby brother "Shadow Dancer", in honor of Dancer, and after thinking about it for a while, the idea grew on me, and I did! He's been my Shadow ever since!

Be very careful how/what you name a dog - I swear - they live up to it!!! :D

we had a dog for a weekend when some friends decided they didnt want it anymore =( too big/drolled/jumped it was a neoplitian mastif we couldnt keep it didnt have the money or the time and her name was bella...we found her a new home even though it was only for a weekend it was great having fun and lots of fun so when i got my husky i thought id name her after our nearly bella =D

mastif bella is now happily homed and alot calmer with her new family who have time for her =D

Love all the names listed above :D

Most my animals I've named myself have had odd names.

Cats: Achillies, Baylin, Caith Sith, Komali and Morticia

Ferrets: Skooma and Scuttle

Past dogs: Slade (boston terrier) Bowser, Akasha (pit bulls)

had a cat that lived to the ripe old age of 16 that was named Mouse

LOL, I called Katrina "Kat" or "Kitty" most of the time!

I've also named a number of the cat population after characters in my favorite books... although the 3 littermates I have are all botanical names - good thing there was only 1 boy in the litter! (They are Rose, Daisy, and [sweet] Will[iam])

When I was gettng my first husky (my girlie) I knew I wanted her to have an Inuit name as these dogs originate from that culture so it felt right that she had an Inuit name... I search the interenet and came up with a list but kept going back to the first name I found which was Nukka (little sister), I had kept looking coz I thought shes my first so their are no older siblings for this to work but somehow it just stuck and so that was her name!

So naturally since we had a little sister she needed a big brother! I went looking for a slightly older boy from rescue and found Shadow... I wanted to change his name (Shadow being very common) but it seemed to suit him and he did follow me everywhere so he stayed mummys little Shadow! Although hes such a big cuddley teddy that I often call him my Shadow-Bear! :D

Future huskies.. well I want more rescues so will have to see how they turn out if their names suit them and they know them then cant really change them! But I would love another girl.. a black and white to name Nova and I'd also love another boy and love the name Zeev (hebrew for wolf) its what I was gunna call Shads so maybe those names might get used in the future?

Hubby named my first husky, Bo. I don't know why he chose the name, nor was it one I'd have chosen, but it worked and we were best buddies for many years. He was always Bocephus James in my eyes (Bocephus after Hank Williams, Jr.) But more often than not, he was known as THE blue-eyed love of my life...

Ryn's official name is "Omryn Borealis". "Omryn" is Chukchi for 'long life' - which I hope she'll have to share with me. "Borealis" has a couple of meanings for us - first it's a name suggested to me by our pack leader, Sarah....It is also Ryn's link back to her mother "Aurora".

Steve found my girls' names on the internet.

Siku - ice in Inuit

Elara - one of Jupiter's moons. Her kennel name is Allure's Total Lunar Eclipse. The kennel's name is Allure and I picked her up the day there was a total lunar eclipse!

Diamond is already named when I got him, and I don't have the heart to rename this wonderful little boy. The name fits, I gotta admit. He is as precious as a diamond :D but then the word "diamond" is too long to mention so I call him "Dime" for short. Lately, I found out that the word "dime" means a coin that worths ten cents x)

And if by any chance I have a second husky I'd like to name the dog "Midnight" or "Silvermist". Hell yeah I like a name that is in a language that everyone speaks. That way everyone knows what is the meaning behind my dogs' names ^0^

Mickey was named by us the day we found him at animal control "Michelob, or Mickey for short."

Cheyenne was one we came up with after googling names all morning. It fits her so well because I think it's such a pretty and feminine name, very much like her! She's a very girly girl.

Mishka I wanted to name Ashka. But no one would call her that! Everyone kept calling her Mishka so eventually I just gave in.

Odin had a ton of names.... Wolf, Declan, Wiley, Yuri (I hated this one and absolutely refused to call him that) there were probably more. Then someone suggested Odin and I loved it. And it fits, perfectly :)

Where does Adak get his name? Let me start with a trivia question. This is for all you geography buffs in th UK. What is the Eastern most state in the US? ....Answer: there is a group of islands off the coast of Alaska (and belonging to Alaska) called the aleutian islands. One of those islands just crosses into the eastern hemisphere making Alaska the northern most, western most and eastern most state in the US.

Well anyway, one of the aleutian islands is called Adak island.

Suka came with his name already when we adopted him. His first owners named him Prince, but then his second owners changed it to Suka. I think Suka means 'Fast' in Inhuit.

I was playing with the idea of changing it for the first month or so of having them; I was thinking maybe Apache. But 'Suka' grew on me.

Indie - (because I LOVE indie music) and then we lengthened it to Indigo to sound a bit posher. lol

Oisin - Oisin was the name of a little boy in an old Irish tale who was lost and lived in the woods with the deer. When the boys father found him years later he called his boy Oisin which means little deer. The name just suited him so well. I call him Oshy bear as a nickname.

Paolo- (My chihuahua) is named after Paolo Nutini

I took a little while to choose a name for Kita

I think it was a couple of days before we were picking up Kita and we watching Hachi the film about the Akita, Moved by the film I thought it would be nice to name her something to do with the Film. Then it just sort of came to me while i was in bed one night, So I looked up what it ment on the internet and apparently it means North in Japanese, So considering she's part northern Inuit, it just cemented the name.

Kira: no idea... just liked it

Grey: already named, we were gunna change it (i liked Kanuk) but as we were planning to stay in contact with Mary and Tony and considering how close they were to him, we didnt have the heart, the name Grey grew on me after a while :)

Keyusha: named after a malamute we kinda know, love the name

My lizards have weird names:

Kimiko - means pretty flower or something i think

Ecko - Ecko the gecko lol

Stubbi - has a stubby tail as she dropped it as a baby

Little One - was gunna be called either Kiko or Timo, but could never decide so she ended up as Little One lol

Suki - just like it lol

Sunglow - already named lol