Sad news - Nadia's playmate Lucy

achelow

We went out with Nadia last week and ran in to our downstairs neighbour who was out walking his French Bulldog Lucky. We went to the only open space in the area - the front of the local mall and let them play (both on leads). The security dog even joined in, we were having a ball. 1am, no one around that would be disturbed by the energetic play of a Sibe, GSD and French Bulldog. A perfect night. Then all of a sudden a little 6-7 month old Cocker Spaniel came running up to us off-leash followed by it's owner a good 50ft behind. We find out her name is Lucy , a very sweet little puppy. Nadia takes a shine to her straight away leaving the "rough boys" Lucky and the security dog to play alone while concentrating on Lucy. It worries me that she might run out on to the road so I hand Nadia to my OH and try to block Lucy if she heads towards the road - her owner completely oblivious to any danger. The dogs on leash keep getting tangled, but everyone knows what to do, we untangle them all the time making sure they play safely. Lucy's owner tries to tell us (Nadia in particular because she's the one playing with Lucy) that we should let them all off leash so they can play. I tell him it's too dangerous, and that while I can't interfere with Lucy I wish he'd put her on a leash because the road here is very dangerous. He shrugged off my suggestion saying that she'd never been on leash in the 4 months that he'd had her and then crossed the road to a taxi rank to chat to the drivers there. He expected Lucy to follow but she was too interested in playing with our dogs so she stayed put. Her owner didn't even look to see if there was traffic coming before calling her, she blindly obeyed, I tried to block her but it was impossible - a car had to swerve (towards us I must add, we could all have been killed) to avoid hitting her. Everyone shouted at the owner to put Lucy on leash but he said it was his fault, not the dog's and that he wouldn't punish her for coming when called by putting her on leash!! He walked off with Lucy and within minutes we heard a crash - not unusual for the area so we didn't really think that much of it. There are loads of delivery motorcycles around the area and you can easily hear 2-3 crashes a night. But last night I find out that Lucy had run across the road again (apparently trying to get back to us) in front of a biker, the bike landed on Lucy - smashing the rider's ankle and breaking Lucy's spine :cry1:

I hope the bike owner intends to take the owner to court for causeing the accident!? Its bad enough with the dog getting injured/killed but its not just the dog that was in the accident!! People like that make steam come out of my ears! Even if you dont care enough about your own dog to prevent accidents your putting alot of other people at risk aswell by your own negligent stupidity!! :banghead: Poor little thing didnt stand a chance with such an idiot as an owner and I bet they'l just shrug it off and get another dog and do exactly the same again too! :angry:

Aww that's awful

i hadn't quite got to the end of your post and just thought pheww! when she ran across the road the first time,but then to read that at the end

omg,poor Lucy:(,i hope her owner is ashamed of himself,and lets not forget the poor biker too

having to suffer a broken ankle all because some idiot ddidnt want to listen and thought he knew best.

the only consolation would be that hopefully Lucy's death was very sudden :cry1:

Turns out a friend knows the biker (he's a new addition to our enduro group apparently) and he hasn't been able to make a complaint as police have said you "can't make a complaint against a dog"!! His leg is in a bad state, he's off work (freelance - so no pay - no benefits out here either) and one off-lead dog has turned his life upside down. I realize the owner didn't have a leash with him (stupid stupid stupid!!!) but when we pointed out how dangerous the road was and after the first near miss he could have taken our spare, I had it in my hand! I just wish I could have done something more.. Poor Lucy and poor Kivanc :cry1:

OMG heartbreaking! Hope Lucy and the biker are ok and are able to move past this unfortunate event! And I hope someone keep's Lucy's owner on a short leash! :(

All I know is that Lucy was paralyzed that night and taken to our old (and very very bad, money grabbing) vet. Unfortunately I don't know the owner to ask, and the security guard didn't know any more than that the vet had told them it would be a miracle if she survived - this was days ago though and he assumed she had died.

I've heard and seen dogs hit by cars before and I know the deathly scream they let out - Lucy didn't make a peep that night. We only heard the crash, nothing else. I think it's safe to say the baby girl didn't make it :( I've been knocked off our bike (the same model Honda Transalp XL650v that Kivanc was riding that night) in the past - it's weight alone could kill an adult dog let alone a pup :cry1:

oh my god thats awful, the poor dog didnt deserve that and the bike rider whos life has been turned upside down because of one irresponsible owner!!

makes me so mad. i quite often see people walking dogs without leads alongside busy roads and i just think about what would happen if something caught there attention and made them run onto the road.