Sock Eating dog

Eat?! I mean, your sock has transferred into his stomach?! :eek: that's... don't you think that's a lil' bit dangerous? Try to ask your vet's opinion! Textiles isn't a thing that's easy to be digested!

Yeah i cant believe it i just caught him in the act but it was to late to get it off him it was all ready gone dam it:mad: we are gonna ring the vet now to see what we should do

I would strongly suggest making him vomit right now, while the sock is still in the stomach. That's what our vet would say. Socks can cause an intestinal blockage if they pass the stomach, especially synthetic ones (not 100% cotton). Most dogs usually vomit them after a while on their own, however, it's best to induce vomiting within an hour to be safe.

You can use hydrogen peroxide, 3% concentration, 1 ml per kilogram of bodyweight. Just use a teaspoon or something to give it to him. If he doesn't vomit in 20 minute, give him another dose.

This is perfectly safe and what a vet would do anyway.

Yukon had to have clothing removed via surgery when he was a a baby. Over Christmas he ate a child's sock and a glove (on different days) but he threw them up himself. It is quite scary, especially when you are far from home and do not know where things are stored. I hope Ryu gets it back out safely. :(

If it was just one sock, hopefully you will be lucky and it will pass straight through. Eating textiles can be extremely dangerous though and we actually lost one of our dogs in this way. He was staying with friends in Ireland and they took him to a groomer for a bath. Unfortunately, the groomer, being ignorant of husky ways, left a towel on top of the crate. The dog was left aklone for an hour and when the groomer came back the towel was gone. She didn't think any more about it, but the next day the dog showed signs of distress and our friends took him straight to the vet. The vet did the usual vet things, but the dog died within a couple of hours. When they did the autopsy, they found the chewed towel completely wound round the dog's intestines.

It must have been a horrible way to die and we have been incredibly careful with our dogs ever since.

RIP "Blarney"

blarneypup.gif

Mick

If it was just one sock, hopefully you will be lucky and it will pass straight through. Eating textiles can be extremely dangerous though and we actually lost one of our dogs in this way. He was staying with friends in Ireland and they took him to a groomer for a bath. Unfortunately, the groomer, being ignorant of husky ways, left a towel on top of the crate. The dog was left aklone for an hour and when the groomer came back the towel was gone. She didn't think any more about it, but the next day the dog showed signs of distress and our friends took him straight to the vet. The vet did the usual vet things, but the dog died within a couple of hours. When they did the autopsy, they found the chewed towel completely wound round the dog's intestines.

It must have been a horrible way to die and we have been incredibly careful with our dogs ever since.

RIP "Blarney"

blarneypup.gif

Mick

:-( Very sad, Blarney looked a cracker.

Bolt chews socks if he get the chance but only chews them to little bits and leaves them all over the palce

Vixen was a little sock monster when she was younger.

We always managed to get socks off her one way or another (distraction, treats, prising her mouth open if she was being really stubborn). One night she managed to open teh bathroom door while I was in the shower, I got out and noticed I had an odd sock, shouted for Ian to help me as the longer she has them the more convinced it's hers. The ran into the bedroom got underneath, and we couldn't see the sock any more. She buggered off, and still no sign of the sock. Instead of giving it up, she decided she was having none of it and swallowed it!

So straight to the vets. Out of hours so it was £70 soon as we came through the door, one injection to throw up, a fifteen mins walk around the car park till she fifnally threw it up, then another injection for the antidote.With all the retching it made her have an ulcer, so we had to get some meds to get her stomach back to normal but it was all covered as ongoing treatment to the sock incident so that was only pennies to sort out.

She learnt her lesson that night!

There were times were she'd parade around with my bright coloured bras too, but thats another story...

Hay sorry everyone we had no internet are phone line got cut off (long story) we just got it sorted out, anyway Ryu is fine we got the sock off him he got sick and it came up i was so worried, i don't even know where he got the sock in the first place because he is not aloud in the bedroom we just have to be more careful i suppose, im glad he didn't have to go to the vets the poor little guy has been there to many times already :(

Thanks everyone for your help :D:heartbeat: