DANGER CHICKEN LEGS

mishkablueeyes

post-2509-13586072329517_thumb.jpg high guys ive been gicing my nearly 5 month old husky raw chicken legs with his food. i ran out a week ago so i got some more yesterday gave him one this morning for breakfast all was fine. i fed him againg around 1pm just half a cup of royal cannon and about 2 hours l8er he was sick. and i couldnt belive what i seen in it but a 3inch chicken bone. now that could of opend up a big can of worms. just think if that got stuck somewere on the way up wouldnt have been a good thing. i felt terrible and gulty. so just be carefull with the little guys. NO MORE CHICKEN LEGS FOR MISHKA. only if i strip of the meat and leave out the bone. better safe than sorry

post-3498-13585968662587_thumb.jpg

Raw bones pose little to no threat in a dog. Especially raw chicken bones which are very soft.

While I understand that you are scared for your dog there are precautions which must be taken to avoid the dog swallowing things whole. Dogs who inhale food should be given larger pieces of meat (bone-in or otherwise) which they cannot swallow whole. Cheyenne is the only one who I can trust eating wings because she is a slow, dainty eater. The others, especially Odin, I would never give a piece that small. Not because i'm concerned it will hurt them, but it's just not a good thing to practice. Swallowing food whole (for any species) isn't really a good thing.

I just don't want people to be scared off feeding their dogs raw food because of this post.

The bone would have been soft enough that it would very likely have been eaten up by the digestive system long before it could have stopped up his system. While I think a larger piece that he has to chew into smaller pieces would be better, I don't think you need to panic over something like this occasionally happening. :)

If he was on dry food before he's probably learnt to "inhale" his food - a lot of dogs sadly don't ever learn how to chew their food with kibble. You'll need to teach him how by holding larger pieces of meat on the bone and making him chew if he wants to eat it. Nadia's been on raw since she was a baby and is a regular meat grinder - you just need to teach Mishka to chew.

thanks guys/ he strips the chicken of the bone. he saves it for last lol. but this time he eate the bone hole after he eat the chicken. ive been feeding him liver aswell and pork steaks he loves all that. i said in anither post about his hight he is 22 ins at the withers and he is nearly 5 months. i looked up about growth plates and he still got his thae are well easy to see. im guessing he is going to be a big boy. he was trying to hump my bull dog bitch the other day randy bugger. im having his balls chopped at 6 months (OUCH) so should calm him down.

If he was on dry food before he's probably learnt to "inhale" his food - a lot of dogs sadly don't ever learn how to chew their food with kibble. You'll need to teach him how by holding larger pieces of meat on the bone and making him chew if he wants to eat it. Nadia's been on raw since she was a baby and is a regular meat grinder - you just need to teach Mishka to chew.

This. Its what I did with Akina and she is very good at chewing food properly first, though I would still never feed her chicken unsupervised.

We feed chicken quartets and wings and have never had any kind of problem. a 3inch bone doesnt sound like a small enough to be swallowed by a 5 month old, but I could be mistaken. don't freak out and let him learn he needs to chew the bones into smaller piece. I wouldn't stop feeding him,specially since the entire community hasn't really had problem feeding bones.