Shedding...

Elyse

So - Suka is finally 'blowing' his coat. It hasn't been this bad in the past so I'm at a loss on what to do.

The brush we've have for 2 years (The Fur Fiend) doesn't seem to be cutting it and it isn't efficient. I've heard about the furminator, but it is basically the same as the Fur Fiend.

Anyone have any tools they can recommend to help make this easier for both of us? I spent an hour brushing his 2 hindquarters, and the fur still comes out. His shedding has NEVER been this bad, even during hot weather, and I'm afraid something might be wrong with him? Or maybe I'm just paranoid, lol!

ryn has just started her very first blow........

I use several different brushes/combs on her - a slicker brush, wide tooth comb and this little wonderful rake:

http://www.itzaclip.com/vp/JS-Lib/CustomerSites/Common/view_larger.htm?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itzaclip.com%2F500_500_csupload_31607515.jpg%3Fu%3D2521985244

Gigi suggested the rake and it works very well.

LOL!

Yeah - Suka always sheds most heavily in his hindquarters/butt area. But he's never actually 'blown' a coat before. My Dad jokes because there's clumps of white undercoat hair all over the backyard. He says they look like little white puppies. :P

• 1 month later...

We are experiencing Phil's first blow in our house. We are shocked at how much fur has come out. We took him to the groomer and she did a pretty good job of getting most of his coat out but we didn't realize that he would blow in batches. Every 2nd day we brush him with a line comb. His breeder recommended this and it is far cleaner than using the furminator. Phil lays out on the rug and lets us do it too which is nice, and sometimes he falls asleep. We've found that the best technique is to separate the fur and comb in short strokes. So far: 8 grocery bags full of dog fur. If you brush outside, all the birds in your neighbourhood will love for you providing a cosy lining for their nests.

Phil also tolerates vacuuming. Since he was a championship dog he is used to being groomed so we are lucky. When my husband comes home and I am out with the dogs, he vacuums (daily since the blowing has started) and when I get home with Phil, gets vacuumed with the upholstery brush. He often has a big smile on his face during this process. Priceless.

Good luck!

So - Suka is finally 'blowing' his coat. It hasn't been this bad in the past so I'm at a loss on what to do.

The brush we've have for 2 years (The Fur Fiend) doesn't seem to be cutting it and it isn't efficient. I've heard about the furminator, but it is basically the same as the Fur Fiend.

Anyone have any tools they can recommend to help make this easier for both of us? I spent an hour brushing his 2 hindquarters, and the fur still comes out. His shedding has NEVER been this bad, even during hot weather, and I'm afraid something might be wrong with him? Or maybe I'm just paranoid, lol!

I hear you, Nanook is shedding for the last 2 months despite going to a salon to get groomed and brushed. I got really fed up so i went to a good pet store, and i got the FURMINATOR, i know its a crazy name. But it works like a charm. This sort of thing coomb , blade sort of brush does miracle, i swear in one session i got most of the under hair off Nanook and she look just splendid now. You are from Ontario and im from Quebec so im sure you can get that Furminator in your area. Mondou store has it, and its just great. Look up on the website, you will see for yourself.

Cheers and good luck:)

I hear you, Nanook is shedding for the last 2 months despite going to a salon to get groomed and brushed. I got really fed up so i went to a good pet store, and i got the FURMINATOR, i know its a crazy name. But it works like a charm. This sort of thing coomb , blade sort of brush does miracle, i swear in one session i got most of the under hair off Nanook and she look just splendid now. You are from Ontario and im from Quebec so im sure you can get that Furminator in your area. Mondou store has it, and its just great. Look up on the website, you will see for yourself.

Cheers and good luck:)

Thanks!

I've actually tried the Furminator and it's pretty good. I like a shedding blade better, though, because I find it does a better job on him. And it's more efficient cause it covers a bigger area.

Nanook is a beautiful name - I was going to name Suka that (either Nanook or Apache) when I got him. I didn't like Suka's name but it eventually grew on me. :)

We use a slicker brush mostly. I've been meaning to get a rake but instead I found the Furminator on eBay for hecka less than retail. I ended up paying $23.99 (shipped). It should be coming today! As soon as it does, the brushing shall commence. Athena will be 8 months old come the 11th and I was told that she probably won't blow her coat this year but she's shedding like no one's business.