Training a husband

Rosemary

Wasn't sure where to post this. Training would be a good place, but it is my husband that needs the training. I cannot for the life of me get him to stop greeting the huskies like long last friends when he gets home. I have asked him to ignore them until they have calmed down, but no, he cannot do it. The minute he enters the house it is chaos with hugs and kisses and a few minutes of wrestling on the floor with the huskies. The huskies now think that every person who walks through the door should be willing to do the same, so it is a continuous struggle.

This is all very unusual. My husband is not a very demonstrative person and very rarely shows affection. He is always cool and calm, and never looses his temper - ever. My daughter and I know he loves us and will do anything for us but we do not expect him to show us or prove his love for us - it is just the way he is, and we adore him.

But - since we got the huskies, things have been changing. He cannot walk past them or have them lie next to him on the floor without touching them. He loves playing with them and taking them for long exciting walks, or have them hanging out with him in his workshop. They are not allowed on the furniture inside, but if I am busy in the studio, they are right up there on the couch with him - Micah is usually found lying in his arms and Ozzy will be curled up next to him, and all three of them will be fast asleep.

That is all good, but because of the way he greets the huskies you can imagine how our visitors are greeted. He says it is our home and if visitors take offense, that is too bad. I honestly don't agree with that.

So, my question is, do I let it be, or do I insist that he ignore them when he gets home until they have calmed down, and take the hugs and wrestling outside? Keeping in mind, that for a very reserved/undemonstrative person to show so much affection openly is a huge and very rare thing, and to take it away ???????

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you get him to compromise and invite Ozzy and Micah outside and do the enthusiastic greeting there? Beyond that, I'd try to find a couple of willing vict... er volunteers to help you train them that what goes with "Dad" isn't ok with others. Work on getting them to sit when newcomers come, and treat them lavishly with some of the wonderful jerky you have down there (sorry, can't remember what it's called!) that you said they love - but very low-key, to keep them calm. Good luck!;)

Wasn't sure where to post this. Training would be a good place, but it is my husband that needs the training. I cannot for the life of me get him to stop greeting the huskies like long last friends when he gets home. I have asked him to ignore them until they have calmed down, but no, he cannot do it. The minute he enters the house it is chaos with hugs and kisses and a few minutes of wrestling on the floor with the huskies. The huskies now think that every person who walks through the door should be willing to do the same, so it is a continuous struggle.

This is all very unusual. My husband is not a very demonstrative person and very rarely shows affection. He is always cool and calm, and never looses his temper - ever. My daughter and I know he loves us and will do anything for us but we do not expect him to show us or prove his love for us - it is just the way he is, and we adore him.

But - since we got the huskies, things have been changing. He cannot walk past them or have them lie next to him on the floor without touching them. He loves playing with them and taking them for long exciting walks, or have them hanging out with him in his workshop. They are not allowed on the furniture inside, but if I am busy in the studio, they are right up there on the couch with him - Micah is usually found lying in his arms and Ozzy will be curled up next to him, and all three of them will be fast asleep.

That is all good, but because of the way he greets the huskies you can imagine how our visitors are greeted. He says it is our home and if visitors take offense, that is too bad. I honestly don't agree with that.

So, my question is, do I let it be, or do I insist that he ignore them when he gets home until they have calmed down, and take the hugs and wrestling outside? Keeping in mind, that for a very reserved/undemonstrative person to show so much affection openly is a huge and very rare thing, and to take it away ???????

And the problem is ?????????????????????????????????????

Yeah I agree with you Husband tbh :P

I love my excitable Hugs and Kisses when I get home from work and the play and chaos that ensues, perfect way to unwind from a long day at work :D.

She will only do with to a very select few people. Me, My little brother and my mate, She won't to do it to my mum, Definitley won't do it to my dad, may very occasionally do it to my sister, But definitley won't do it to strangers.

Could you get him to compromise and invite Ozzy and Micah outside and do the enthusiastic greeting there? Beyond that, I'd try to find a couple of willing vict... er volunteers to help you train them that what goes with "Dad" isn't ok with others. Work on getting them to sit when newcomers come, and treat them lavishly with some of the wonderful jerky you have down there (sorry, can't remember what it's called!) that you said they love - but very low-key, to keep them calm. Good luck!;)

this is a good idea, maybe your husband could wait till he gets to a certain room in the house till he greets them, that way anyone coming to the door wont get huskied.

mind you anyone who doesn't like being huskied must have no soul.

wonderful jerky you have down there (sorry, can't remember what it's called!)

Biltong - Mmmmmmmmm happy times back in SA

failing all that, whack him with a big stick :angry1::lolman:

Typlical Womans answer :rollingpin::huskyfall::yikes: haha

Nah to be fair its the power of the husky they make you want to play and act like big kids, Nothing better IMO :woohoo: Playtime! :yahoo:

Right i'm off before my misses comes after me with a big stick ;)

lol some funny answers...

I love getting cuddles n kisses and having a big play when I get home from work cheers me up heaps but I do it outside...

Inside she is pushed down by everyone she is not allowed to jump but outside she is allowed as thats where we play

so maybe try the outside idea she if hubby will comprimise to moving outside for play time

I understand your frustration! I don't mind if I get those greetings, but try hard to wait until Ryn is more calm. My OH is good about waiting for his greetings, (he is fairly undemonstrative of emotion as well).

There are those who come to our home who love the 'husky-hug' greeting. It's those individuals that make it difficult to train the husky. It's a problem Ryn and I continue to work on.

OH and the in-laws are exactly the same, I love my husky cuddles and kisses too but just not as soon as I get in the door. I'm usually carrying shopping or at the very least my laptop case and as a puppy Nadia sent me flying a few times with her enthusiastic greetings. OH just won't listen that he needs to help me with training her to calm down so I errm, enlisted the local cafe's delivery guy for help :D You'll need to find some volunteers too, training husbands/partners is nearly impossible :)

PMSL... your going about this the wrong way. Never tell us blokes what to do. Never tell us to stop something. Thatll never work. You need to tell him its ok he can see to the dogs all the time. He can sort out when your visitors get huskified as soon as they walk in......he'll get bored then and find something else to annoy you with.:lolman:

But TBH, i agree with the other comments, if visitors dont like it...dont come.

In our house they get huskified as they walk in the door then they get bombarded with a continuous supply of balls, cuddly toys and near as damn it everthing else to play pass with by Libby the border collie......

I had to smile, everyone seems to love husky loves and kisses - and it is awesome to be greeted so enthusiastically :) The only problem I have is the huskies jumping up to greet my parents - Ozzy actually scratched my Mum (she is nearly 80) and it took months for it to heal. If it wasn't for that, I would also say fine, but I have to think of our parents too, they are not young anymore and an exuberant husky can very easily hurt them. I will speak to the OH and see if we can come to a compromise, I think I will be fighting a losing battle, but I have to find some way to work this out. I have been told by various people that I actually make the situation worse as Ozzy and Micah pick up that I am stressed - when my daughter visits I have been banned from greeting her at the door - she deals with the craziness on her own in her own way. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, it has been great :thankyou:

PMSL... your going about this the wrong way. Never tell us blokes what to do. Never tell us to stop something. Thatll never work. You need to tell him its ok he can see to the dogs all the time. He can sort out when your visitors get huskified as soon as they walk in......he'll get bored then and find something else to annoy you with.:lolman:

But TBH, i agree with the other comments, if visitors dont like it...dont come.

In our house they get huskified as they walk in the door then they get bombarded with a continuous supply of balsl, cuddly toys and near as damn it everthing else to play pass with by Libby the border collie......

:doglaugh: Excellent idea - I will try that - your house sounds like mine. By the time my visitors leave, they have a mountain of husky 'stuff' on their laps :)