Husky 1st check up at the vet (fox tail issues)

Teo27

I just took my 8 month old husky to the vet and they told me I had to be careful of foxtails, because we have a few plants at my house (getting rid of them now) but they said he needs an operation of $400 to see if foxtails have gone inside his body.. how is that possible? are they just trying to get money from me? they even told me that he might not have any but just to make sure, am only 20 and $400 is what I get paid in 2 weeks because I also got school to pay for so I just wanted to make sure its all good, my brothers tell me that they're probably lying, is there any symptoms or something like that? thank you!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get a second opinion. Exploratory surgery (operation) is what this Vet is really saying, which is tantamount to a fishing exhibition. We have foxtail along the fence in a few spots. We have never had an issue in living here for 18 years.

is there reason to think that foxtails have gone in to him? has he shown any signs of this, swellings, lumps, coughing, blood, trouble going toilet??? foxtails are everywhere, not just in your yard, my dogs get covered in them at times, i brush them out when get home, and spend time running hands all over fur to find any that have been missed, but have never in years had any dog that has had a problem. ....was there a problem for you to be taking dog to vets in first place? where do they think foxtails may have gotten in to your dog and why do they think it? they would not just open a dog up to look just in case, they must have reason to think it first!

is there reason to think that foxtails have gone in to him? has he shown any signs of this, swellings, lumps, coughing, blood, trouble going toilet??? foxtails are everywhere, not just in your yard, my dogs get covered in them at times, i brush them out when get home, and spend time running hands all over fur to find any that have been missed, but have never in years had any dog that has had a problem. ....was there a problem for you to be taking dog to vets in first place? where do they think foxtails may have gotten in to your dog and why do they think it? they would not just open a dog up to look just in case, they must have reason to think it first!

he has like a small red dot of blood, it never bled under control though, it was just artificial and we took him to the vet to get him neuter, at the vet they found one foxtail and they said that it might be that and that they should check but we think that it might be just the fence that kind of poked him (we fixed the fence) he hasn't shown any signs of anything, he just licks himself around his red dot but that's it, he acts normal and behaves normal, we have a lot of foxtails here too and never even thought of that ever! they don't think its a foxtail at the end they just told us since were gonna neuter him we might as well just check there and that's it, they're not even sure he has them and seriously i don't think he does...

thanks for the help everyone!

sounds like the vet is feeling effects of a down economy..

hahaha that's what we thought and they didn't even feel bad for us that it was just me and my little brother and we have to ask all our siblings just for the neutering money lol

sounds like the vet is feeling effects of a down economy..

Well, the rule of thumb is, you never know what it's going to cost when you take your dog to the vet. If things go smoothly, it can be very affordable. However, if there are complications, like he hears loud noise coming from transmission of his new Lexus, it could be quite expensive. :)

i dunno.... my dads dogs on the farm were always healthy and happy as could be, and they never been to the vet, never had shots, and never ate dog food...

my mom says that too, we are from the farm too and were raised on the farm and nothing happened to our previous dogs, i do feel the vet was lying to us, man can't you find anyone with decency in this times?

Call in different vet's offices for price quotes..Granted no penny should be spared when it comes to saving a life it's helpful when less pennies have to be used

yea i was thinking about that, I will go to another vet and show them the really small wound he has and ill make sure he has no fox tails on him and see what he says about it.. no doubt, i will sell everything if I have to keep him alive..

yea i was thinking about that, I will go to another vet and show them the really small wound he has and ill make sure he has no fox tails on him and see what he says about it.. no doubt, i will sell everything if I have to keep him alive..

aww that's sweet :D sure sounds like the vet is trying to scam someone tho =/

Well, the rule of thumb is, you never know what it's going to cost when you take your dog to the vet. If things go smoothly, it can be very affordable. However, if there are complications, like he hears loud noise coming from transmission of his new Lexus, it could be quite expensive. :)

:doglaugh: that sums it up!!!!!!!

but then that link they provided here, is so scary if any of that can happen.. am really confused on what to do..

most info is scary..... but education should be to help make informative decisions not control your life with fear, your now informed now you still make the choice :)

most info is scary..... but education should be to help make informative decisions not control your life with fear, your now informed now you still make the choice :)

education doesn't count when someone is trying to scam you and you can't make a clear decision, education doesn't teach you about the real world :)

my dog keeps licking himself so I don't know if that's one of the symptoms and other than that he is pretty normal, I kind of just want to do it just in case.

if a coyote were running in the wild and it got a foxtale, would it go to the vet? if a puppy wolf cut its leg out hunting, would it go to a vet? i kinda doubt it. dogs are still wild animals, and they have survival instincts. its got a cut, it licks it... thats what the mum would do to it when it was a pup.. keeps it clean safer from infection. for the people who want to tell me that huskies are not wild dogs because they have had years of being a family pet, bla bla bla, look at the wild dog packs that run the streets of russia.. those are all family dogs that have been neglected and are using their survival skills to form packs and survive. they dont go to the vet, the pups run before they become a year old... im tired of people treating their dogs the same way they treat their good china dishes...:dog3:

I would not assume your vet is trying to scam you. I have had two dogs get foxtails, one in the eye which caused a corneal abrasion and another one which got in a paw and migrated up into his leg. He was constantly licking the leg. It has been about 7 years since that happened so I don't remember all the specifics. The vet explored the wound with a hemostat and was able to pull out the foxtail. My dog happened to be very tolerant of handling and this was able to be done without anesthesia. Your vet must think the pinpoint wound looks like the entry site for a foxtail. Foxtails are so slender you might not even see the site of entry in some cases. I would still agree with getting a second opinion though, since $400 is a lot of money.

education doesn't count when someone is trying to scam you and you can't make a clear decision, education doesn't teach you about the real world :)

my dog keeps licking himself so I don't know if that's one of the symptoms and other than that he is pretty normal, I kind of just want to do it just in case.

education does count as far as I am concerned, as what ever you have educated yourself about on this subject will give you the knowledge to be able to decide what to do. You do not have to do what "They" tell you to do, they are not always right, but like you said, they might be, and that is where the fear comes in to it, the fear of the unknown, and thats why i said education can help as it can over come the fear. :)

as for education doesn't teach you about the real world, your probably meaning school and basic learning, where as I am on more about educating ones self :) as in learning about the topic at hand.

if a coyote were running in the wild and it got a foxtale, would it go to the vet? if a puppy wolf cut its leg out hunting, would it go to a vet? i kinda doubt it. dogs are still wild animals, and they have survival instincts. its got a cut, it licks it... thats what the mum would do to it when it was a pup.. keeps it clean safer from infection. for the people who want to tell me that huskies are not wild dogs because they have had years of being a family pet, bla bla bla, look at the wild dog packs that run the streets of russia.. those are all family dogs that have been neglected and are using their survival skills to form packs and survive. they dont go to the vet, the pups run before they become a year old... im tired of people treating their dogs the same way they treat their good china dishes...:dog3:

this also applies to humans not just dogs, I know people who take dogs to the vets for the slightest things and also the kids go to doctor with a runny nose :/