Husky 1st check up at the vet (fox tail issues)

Teo27

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if a coyote were running in the wild and it got a foxtale, would it go to the vet? if a puppy wolf cut its leg out hunting, would it go to a vet? i kinda doubt it. dogs are still wild animals, and they have survival instincts. its got a cut, it licks it... thats what the mum would do to it when it was a pup.. keeps it clean safer from infection. for the people who want to tell me that huskies are not wild dogs because they have had years of being a family pet, bla bla bla, look at the wild dog packs that run the streets of russia.. those are all family dogs that have been neglected and are using their survival skills to form packs and survive. they dont go to the vet, the pups run before they become a year old... im tired of people treating their dogs the same way they treat their good china dishes...:dog3:

Well this is at least MY philosophy in life (ha ha). I could have a severed arm and I'd at least try duct tape and see how that went for a while before I raced to the doctors.

Having said that, I still need to point out a problem with this statement. I'm not sure of the actual mortality rate of wild dogs (or any wild animal for that matter), but I'm betting that your desire is that your dogs chance at a long life is better than a cayotes. While a cayote's life span may read something like 14 years, I'm betting that the AVERAGE life expectancy is less than 5. This not only includes being killed by other animals, but also sickness, infection, and disease.

thats also a very good point franklin, but you see the point im trying to get out, and i like that :)

its good to know there are some people who dont take their dog to the vet because it stepped on a prickle.

in addition, i would have a hard time paying $400 for exploratory surgery when you could just wait it out, and if all else fails, get a new pup. its not worth dishing out all the money you can find, and selling everything you own for your dog.. its a fact of life, the strong survive, and the weak die..

coming to the point of the wild dogs.. the strong dogs live a longer life, while the weak die at a young age..

thats also a very good point franklin, but you see the point im trying to get out, and i like that :)

its good to know there are some people who dont take their dog to the vet because it stepped on a prickle.

in addition, i would have a hard time paying $400 for exploratory surgery when you could just wait it out, and if all else fails, get a new pup. its not worth dishing out all the money you can find, and selling everything you own for your dog.. its a fact of life, the strong survive, and the weak die..

coming to the point of the wild dogs.. the strong dogs live a longer life, while the weak die at a young age..

yea, I don't want to do exploratory surgery either.. but now we took all of the fox flies from the backyard and they started growing again... I am seriously thinking about selling him for his own good, at only 9 months am sure someone will love to take him but I just can't part with him :((((((( but i will do it if it was for his own good.. what would you guys do?

I'm sorry, dogs are not disposable like worn out clothing. My dogs, even though some of them live out in a kennel, are my family! Granted, there are some procedures I wouldn't do, and others that I couldn't afford to do for them at times, but I would and do try to do as much as I can to assure their continued good health. I'm assuming YOU go to the doctor when you truly do need one, rather than letting Natural Selection do you in?

yea, I don't want to do exploratory surgery either.. but now we took all of the fox flies from the backyard and they started growing again... I am seriously thinking about selling him for his own good, at only 9 months am sure someone will love to take him but I just can't part with him :((((((( but i will do it if it was for his own good.. what would you guys do?

Do what you can afford. I would perhaps talk to another vet to see what they would recommend. They might also know of someone who might be able to help you with the financial part of it (a shelter or animal welfare organization in your area). If you choose to wait and see what happens, watch to see if you pup seems to be having trouble - fever, pain, swelling, etc. If so, he may require emergency treatment - or euthanasia, if it's bad enough.

sutsibe I'm assuming YOU go to the doctor when you truly do need one

yeah when i need a doctor, i go to the doctor.. not for a cut, or a flu... no one is perfectly healthy or injury free for their whole life, but theres no need

to go to the doctor for every little thing.. people on this website are scaring people into owning a husky.. its not that hard...

yeah when i need a doctor, i go to the doctor.. not for a cut, or a flu... no one is perfectly healthy or injury free for their whole life, but theres no need

to go to the doctor for every little thing.. people on this website are scaring people into owning a husky.. its not that hard...

What I took exception to was that you seemed to feel that it was better to get rid of a dog that needed medical care and get a new one, rather than pay for medical care (no, I'm not talking about canine sniffles).

It was your statement implying that if the dogs sick, wait it out, and if all else fails, get a new pup. That's such a ridiculous statement I was left speechless.

wait it out, and if all else fails, get a new pup.

I feel sorry for your dog and all the dogs you've ever owned. You don't just wait things out until they are to far gone to help them or not do anything at all.:angry: When my dogs have a problem I take them to the vet!:winner: If your going to own a dog you have to take the responsibility that comes with it. :banghead::rant:

Teo

I did not know what a Foxtail was until I came to the UK..but I had a cat who ate one and it died. I was pretty hysterical but have rid my garden of any trace of them now and any sign of it , I yank them up root and all and spray weed killer on the surrounding area. I've not had any problems since. But my poor Mya died as a result of my ignorance, I still feel guilty. I do hope your dog is OK?

any dog ive ever had is happy as can be, and i never go to the vet. i know people who spend thousands on their dog and they got the dog for $200. really wheres the sense in that. there is no miscommunication here.. granted, juno is the first dog that ive actually gone to the vet to get shots.. none of my other dogs have even gotten shots.

any dog ive ever had is happy as can be, and i never go to the vet. i know people who spend thousands on their dog and they got the dog for $200. really wheres the sense in that. there is no miscommunication here.. granted, juno is the first dog that ive actually gone to the vet to get shots.. none of my other dogs have even gotten shots.

That's a pathetic attitude.

The "sense" is that most of us here see our pets as more than pets - they are part of our families, and as such, deserve to have medical care when they need it. They have emotions different from ours, but no less valid. We have taken responsibility for them - we owe them. My good buddy Shad has been with me through 14 years of thick and thin, as none of my family or friends ever has or could have been able to be.