Not good news

dygosamikita

Spoke to the vet today about Nikita's latest tests and they are fairly confident that she has a tumour way back where her nose meets her brain. This is the only thing they can think of that matches her symptoms. They have more or less ruled out the fungal infection as she still only has the one sign of it.

They could do an MRI to confirm it but it would not change the treatment as they wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway.

They are going to put her on steroids and see if this helps with the anaemia. If the anaemia can be sorted and the weight loss can be stopped, then she really isn't showing any other signs at the moment.

While their diagnosis does make sense there are bits that still don't really fit. The main ones being that antibiotics have stopped the discharge from her nose in the past (which you wouldn't think would be the case if the discharge/bleeding was caused by cancer) and that she has been going longer periods of time without her nose bleeding (we are currently on a 8 day run).

Going to do some more research this weekend and chat with the vet again on Monday when I pick up the steroids and try to make sense of things.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys.....I think I am rather in denial at the moment. Mainly as there are the few things that don't seem to make sense. Keep telling myself that they may be wrong after all. Don't really want to think of the alternative as it doesn't bear imagining.

Giving her loads of hugs for everyone.

huge hugs to you both :grouphug:

you are both in my thoughts,and hoping things aren't as bad as they seem.

i'm really sorry just dont know what to say to you hun,you must be passed yourself with worry.

fingers x'ed for monday! xx

Hugs! Fingers crossed, prayers said for both of you...

The steroids may cause any tumor to shrink by the way, and might also cause her appetite to increase. I have my two old men on some at the moment, one for each of those problems. Best wishes, regardless!

Had a chat with her regular vet today. Both vets are in agreement that even if they determine via an MRI that there is a tumour the course of treatment would be the same. For this reason it really isn't worth the stress of putting her through it. While we would expect that cancer would get progressively worse it is not uncommon for the symptoms to come and go over a period of time.

If I think back to all of the occasions since August of last year, each time it does seem to get a bit worse. As well the occasions seem to be becoming more frequent. So when I really stop and think things are rather progressive, I just expected there to always be a discharge if it was a tumour.

We are starting her on 25mg dose twice a day of Prednisolone in order to see if that helps with the anaemia. She will have to have rather regular blood work to see what the anaemia is doing and regular weigh ins to keep an eye on her weight.

On the bright side though she still gets excited to go for her walks, plays with Sampson and looks to get into trouble. Also she doesn't seem to be in any pain so things could definitely be worse.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and hugs.