Not good news

dygosamikita

Rach, I'm only just catching up with the forum - I dunno what to say to you, hun. I can fully understand why you are thinking they way you are, if there is a permanent cause like cancer, why is it causing sporadic random bleeding.... I wish I could say more, you know how much I love that "little" girl. You are all in my thoughts & I hope your niggling doubts bear fruit & she responds positively with the meds, big, big hugs to you all, xxx

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to hear this :( :( :( I know how you feel; my last little girl had this exact problem. Was so hopeful it wasn't cancer because the vets took so long to figure it out, only to end up at the worst conclusion :( Some days it will seem so bad and then others it's like it didn't exist. The nosebleeds ended up clotting sometimes so it wasn't a constant thing, but toward the end it just irritated her nose so much she'd just sneeze a lot and break the clots :\ All I can say is keep her comfy and happy and I hope the medicines help!

Nikita has been on the steroids for a week now so they did another blood test yesterday. Her red blood cell count has gone up:yahoo:. She was at 300 something and is now at 400 something. Normal is between 560-870.

She has also put on about 1 kg we think. She was weighed on a different scale than last month so we aren't sure. Still VERY skinny though, if I saw her and didn't know her I think she wasn't being feed. She is still eating and drinking loads though so not sure where the energy is going. Right now she is eating between 700-800g of Orijen a day, spaced over three meals, roughly 3000 calories a day.

Her white blood count has also went up though. Not enough to merit putting her on antibiotics but it is showing that there is still something going on.

There has been no bleeding or discharge for 18 days, which is a longer period than what we had between the last two episodes.

She still gets tired and to be honest I would say she has been a bit more lethargic the past couple of days. She still wants to go for her walks and still plays a bit and tries to pull towards other dogs when out.

We are keeping her on the 25mg twice a day dose for another week and then doing another blood test to see where things are. If she manages to go into the normal range then we will see about reducing the dose a bit until she is on the smallest dose necessary.

On a side note...I have finally finished paying for the vets new car and starting to pay their house off now.......

oh Rachel its not at all funny but couldn't help but av a little laugh at your ''side note''

its lovely to hear Nikita has had a better week and i sincerely hope she continues to do so.

god bless you both and all paws x'ed for you. xx