My Wulf Pack - miscellaneous pics from May 2011.

Removed #7

Awesome pic's, and great that you do SAR! I thought about doing that myself but I'm not sure I could handle the training. Then again, I also don't know where they'd train for SAR around here, either.

awesome pics :) i love beowulf - is he more husky than wolf? he looks like it

His father was an Alaskan Malamute/wolf mix, and his mother was a Sibe/wolf mix, so he's about half and half I guess. Thanks for asking!

And thanks to everyone else who looked and replied!!

Great pics and a lovely pack! How cool that you do Search and Rescue!!! Do you do it with all of the dogs?

Nope. I do SAR with Nara only. Most of the SAR dogs around here are either GSDs, labs, or bloodhounds. I've read that sibes used to do mountain/snow/avalanche SAR back in the WWI and WWII days, and I've even seen pics of them from that time period. Most SAR dogs do airscent searches, and it requires them to be off lead with great recall. Most sibes would not be good at this! Haha. However, if they had a long enough attention span, they probably would be good at tracking/trailing SAR like the bloodhounds, because it requires them to be leashed at all times on a 20' lead. Thanks for asking!

Nope. I do SAR with Nara only. Most of the SAR dogs around here are either GSDs, labs, or bloodhounds. I've read that sibes used to do mountain/snow/avalanche SAR back in the WWI and WWII days, and I've even seen pics of them from that time period. Most SAR dogs do airscent searches, and it requires them to be off lead with great recall. Most sibes would not be good at this! Haha. However, if they had a long enough attention span, they probably would be good at tracking/trailing SAR like the bloodhounds, because it requires them to be leashed at all times on a 20' lead. Thanks for asking!

I had known a couple of Siberian people in the Chicago area who had done SAR with their dogs - mainly tracking on a long lead, as I recall, although it was a number of years ago... Another friend has done a fair amount of tracking with several of her Siberians - but she's an awesome trainer with dogs who are quite willing to please.