My Pack (Video)

sutsibe

I finally got some video of my dogs and kennel today, so decided to show them off a little... I'll add more to the thread later - it's late and they're slow uploading to YouTube! For starters, here's one of Ginny (who very much needs a bath and grooming!), her daughter Rora, Rora's son Zeke, and Tux.Tux and Rora are two of Shad's kids.

http://youtu.be/27e387iwe6w

Here's one of Jazz and Angel - they're two of Shad's grandkids... (Shad, for those who don't know him, is my main house dog and my best friend. He's 14, and ... rather fragile.)

http://youtu.be/-QXqfZBQM6o

And another of Jazz and the very uncouth Strider (Strider's mom is a littermate to Jazz, Angel and Raf)...

http://youtu.be/ycbWA0n9fFo

I finally got some video of my dogs and kennel today, so decided to show them off a little... I'll add more to the thread later - it's late and they're slow uploading to YouTube! For starters, here's one of Ginny (who very much needs a bath and grooming!), her daughter Rora, Rora's son Zeke, and Tux.Tux and Rora are two of Shad's kids.

http://youtu.be/27e387iwe6w

Here's one of Jazz and Angel - they're two of Shad's grandkids... (Shad, for those who don't know him, is my main house dog and my best friend. He's 14, and ... rather fragile.)

http://youtu.be/-QXqfZBQM6o

And another of Jazz and the very uncouth Strider (Strider's mom is a littermate to Jazz, Angel and Raf)...

http://youtu.be/ycbWA0n9fFo

:wow2:A Place to dream for, Some dogs don't have to die to be in Heaven!!.Hope they know how lucky they are!!:rolleyes:

:wow2:A Place to dream for, Some dogs don't have to die to be in Heaven!!.Hope they know how lucky they are!!:rolleyes:

Thanks! I hope that they do...

aawww gorgeous pups!!!!!!!! i love how they all have a really nice chunky build too - makes me less worried bout blaze n skyla being chunks :)

Nix, my guys are out of a mix of sledding and show lines - show lines here in the US tend to be much heavier built than most of the Siberians I've seen in your UK dogs or in racing/pet lines here. They also tend to have a bit longer coat, and in several of my dogs, it's very dense/thick, as well, so they look even heavier than they are! (Quite the difference when they're soaking wet!) :jawdrop::rolleyes:

Nix, my guys are out of a mix of sledding and show lines - show lines here in the US tend to be much heavier built than most of the Siberians I've seen in your UK dogs or in racing/pet lines here. They also tend to have a bit longer coat, and in several of my dogs, it's very dense/thick, as well, so they look even heavier than they are! (Quite the difference when they're soaking wet!) :jawdrop::rolleyes:

Strange that you mention it,I have noticed how different some huskies look compared to some of the UK ones.Even though our are KC reg and 5 generation pedigree etc,I always think they don't look like a typical husky.If I think of that,I imagine ones looking like yours,with lovely thick coats and neat little ears.My Thunder sometimes looks like a donkey ,bless him,still handsome of course,but not always photogenic,thanks to the ears!!!.Even worse was when he was a pup,but thankfully,he did grow into them(His ears!!):redface1:

aww mine are just chunky lil beasts then lol

Strange that you mention it,I have noticed how different some huskies look compared to some of the UK ones.Even though our are KC reg and 5 generation pedigree etc,I always think they don't look like a typical husky.If I think of that,I imagine ones looking like yours,with lovely thick coats and neat little ears.My Thunder sometimes looks like a donkey ,bless him,still handsome of course,but not always photogenic,thanks to the ears!!!.Even worse was when he was a pup,but thankfully,he did grow into them(His ears!!):redface1:

While our show lines are awfully pretty, some are no longer really good for the purpose for which they were originally bred. Here's a picture of my Kodi - he has so much coat that he'd overheat fairly quickly (with anywhere near his full coat in) unless the temperature was well below freezing. His legs are too short, as are most of his bones (length of muzzle and head tends to correspond to the length of most of the other longer bones in the body), which would give him better leverage for pulling a heavy load (freighting) than running at a moderate pace over a long distance. His heavier bone structure, while made to look heavier than it is by his full coat, would also make him more likely to tire in deep snow. I've used him once in my breeding program, but picked the bitch carefully, and counted on his father's influence (Shad) coming through - Shad is much racier looking - longer legged, a bit finer boned. Smaller ears are cosmetic, at least so long as they aren't super big and the dog isn't living in permafrost conditions, but it's something some of the breeders here have really concentrated on, because it's so pretty.

Kodi

post-6615-13586073538062_thumb.jpg

aww mine are just chunky lil beasts then lol

I believe that some US show lines have been exported to various parts of the UK (I know in other parts of Europe). It's possible some of those lines are in Blaze's background. I'm not sure what lines Skyla would be out of - a lot of Anadyr dogs are white, if I recall - a racing kennel in Alaska - and I had one guy (Shad's older half brother) who was a male version of Skyla for size! The early imports to Alaska were of a variety of types and looks - not standardized at all. Some were larger, some smaller, some finer boned, some heavier, with coat length (including woolies!) varying greatly, too.

post-1869-13585969825013_thumb.jpg

I got to thinking while I was out doing some chores, and had to laugh! Have you seen the Kevin Costner movie, "Field of Dreams"? There's a line in it where a ball player comes out of the cornfield and looking around bewilderedly, asks, "Is this Heaven?" Costner's character replies, "No, this is Iowa!" The movie was filmed about a hundred miles east of where I live...

While our show lines are awfully pretty, some are no longer really good for the purpose for which they were originally bred. Here's a picture of my Kodi - he has so much coat that he'd overheat fairly quickly (with anywhere near his full coat in) unless the temperature was well below freezing. His legs are too short, as are most of his bones (length of muzzle and head tends to correspond to the length of most of the other longer bones in the body), which would give him better leverage for pulling a heavy load (freighting) than running at a moderate pace over a long distance. His heavier bone structure, while made to look heavier than it is by his full coat, would also make him more likely to tire in deep snow. I've used him once in my breeding program, but picked the bitch carefully, and counted on his father's influence (Shad) coming through - Shad is much racier looking - longer legged, a bit finer boned. Smaller ears are cosmetic, at least so long as they aren't super big and the dog isn't living in permafrost conditions, but it's something some of the breeders here have really concentrated on, because it's so pretty.

Kodi

[ATTACH=full]11468[/ATTACH]

I believe that some US show lines have been exported to various parts of the UK (I know in other parts of Europe). It's possible some of those lines are in Blaze's background. I'm not sure what lines Skyla would be out of - a lot of Anadyr dogs are white, if I recall - a racing kennel in Alaska - and I had one guy (Shad's older half brother) who was a male version of Skyla for size! The early imports to Alaska were of a variety of types and looks - not standardized at all. Some were larger, some smaller, some finer boned, some heavier, with coat length (including woolies!) varying greatly, too.

Would seem that there are many different versions then!!.Thunder is a big boy(His pedigree lines are Rajarani and CH Forstals),but according to breed standard he is too heavy.He weighs about 35 k,and is all muscle and incredibly strong.His legs are quite long,so maybe he would be good at pulling a heavy load ,at full steam ahead.!!.Don't know if he'd agree with me there!.He doesn't like wearing a back pack,let alone anything else.!!As for racing off,he just doesn't do that either!!.He is a good mouse catcher though,I'll give him that(has caught 3 to date!!).I think any urge to be a sled dog has long since left my Tundy boy,but who cares anyway,cos first and foremost,he's our beloved pet !!:D

I got to thinking while I was out doing some chores, and had to laugh! Have you seen the Kevin Costner movie, "Field of Dreams"? There's a line in it where a ball player comes out of the cornfield and looking around bewilderedly, asks, "Is this Heaven?" Costner's character replies, "No, this is Iowa!" The movie was filmed about a hundred miles east of where I live...

Amazing!Must be beautiful.Haven't got a clue where Iowa is,have heard of it though,will have to look at a map.We sometimes watch Cesar Milan,and I'm always thinking how big everyones homes and gardens are,compared to here.Suppose they don't call it 'The Big Country' for nothing!!:rolleyes:

Would seem that there are many different versions then!!.Thunder is a big boy(His pedigree lines are Rajarani and CH Forstals),but according to breed standard he is too heavy.He weighs about 35 k,and is all muscle and incredibly strong.His legs are quite long,so maybe he would be good at pulling a heavy load ,at full steam ahead.!!.Don't know if he'd agree with me there!.He doesn't like wearing a back pack,let alone anything else.!!As for racing off,he just doesn't do that either!!.He is a good mouse catcher though,I'll give him that(has caught 3 to date!!).I think any urge to be a sled dog has long since left my Tundy boy,but who cares anyway,cos first and foremost,he's our beloved pet !!:D

I've heard of Forstal Kennels somewhere, perhaps in one of my Siberian books. Rajarani I hadn't heard of, but found this link -http://www.rajaranisiberians.com/ukshowring.htm. The first picture is of two Northwood dogs, and they look very similar to dogs here in the US of the time, based on the pics I've seen. A bit further down, Ch. Zoox Gadzheek looks like a lot of the dogs when I started showing in the late 1980s - and like a lot of my dogs now. I've tried to keep more leg and an older style than what has been winning over the last few decades here.

Looks like breeders here started breeding smaller and more compact dogs (which trend will change when someone brings a different style of dog out that catches a lot of interest - show people here tend to be too fickle! Breed too much for looks, although at least they're generally good about health-checks. Big problem is too few judges and exhibitors know what proper movement should look like, and that's an essential to the breed, in my opinion.) where in the UK they chose to breed a more functional Siberian... It may have to do with the way dogs are shown, I'm not sure.

Amazing!Must be beautiful.Haven't got a clue where Iowa is,have heard of it though,will have to look at a map.We sometimes watch Cesar Milan,and I'm always thinking how big everyones homes and gardens are,compared to here.Suppose they don't call it 'The Big Country' for nothing!!:rolleyes:

LOL, have a look on the map - we're right in the middle of the country! Keep in mind, Cesar is working mostly in California, and mostly with quite well-to-do clientele! In the larger cities' suburbs, in the areas where the people who have a lot of money live (doctors, lawyers, corporate execs, engineers), houses are often ridiculously large on a comparatively tiny lot! Throughout most of the country, people live in much smaller houses! I currently live in an old farm house that seems pretty large - some of the rooms are pretty good-sized, but there are basically a smallish livingroom (made smaller by large furniture!), a huge dining room, big farm kitchen, and then smaller rooms for a laundry and bath - each occupying roughly 1/4 of the downstairs. Upstairs, there are 3 large bedrooms and a much smaller room... Many people live in smaller, single story houses - which is what I would really prefer, if I could have one with a nice, dry basement! Houses are probably bigger, but then land is much more available and cheaper than in Europe...

I've heard of Forstal Kennels somewhere, perhaps in one of my Siberian books. Rajarani I hadn't heard of, but found this link -http://www.rajaranisiberians.com/ukshowring.htm. The first picture is of two Northwood dogs, and they look very similar to dogs here in the US of the time, based on the pics I've seen. A bit further down, Ch. Zoox Gadzheek looks like a lot of the dogs when I started showing in the late 1980s - and like a lot of my dogs now. I've tried to keep more leg and an older style than what has been winning over the last few decades here.

Looks like breeders here started breeding smaller and more compact dogs (which trend will change when someone brings a different style of dog out that catches a lot of interest - show people here tend to be too fickle! Breed too much for looks, although at least they're generally good about health-checks. Big problem is too few judges and exhibitors know what proper movement should look like, and that's an essential to the breed, in my opinion.) where in the UK they chose to breed a more functional Siberian... It may have to do with the way dogs are shown, I'm not sure.

LOL, have a look on the map - we're right in the middle of the country! Keep in mind, Cesar is working mostly in California, and mostly with quite well-to-do clientele! In the larger cities' suburbs, in the areas where the people who have a lot of money live (doctors, lawyers, corporate execs, engineers), houses are often ridiculously large on a comparatively tiny lot! Throughout most of the country, people live in much smaller houses! I currently live in an old farm house that seems pretty large - some of the rooms are pretty good-sized, but there are basically a smallish livingroom (made smaller by large furniture!), a huge dining room, big farm kitchen, and then smaller rooms for a laundry and bath - each occupying roughly 1/4 of the downstairs. Upstairs, there are 3 large bedrooms and a much smaller room... Many people live in smaller, single story houses - which is what I would really prefer, if I could have one with a nice, dry basement! Houses are probably bigger, but then land is much more available and cheaper than in Europe...

Gosh, Thanks ,thats loads of information!!.Will checkout the rajarani website.Good to know too that not every American lives in a mansion !!.I think if I had to choose between a big house with a small garden or a small house with a big garden,I know which I'd prefer.Then I could have a few more huskies LOL!!.Seriously though it must be wonderful to have enough ground to let them run around like yours can.I would never have to worry about Tundy dragging me along a road again,having lead burns on my hands,and being pulled over every time he sees another dog!!.Wouldn't that be grand!!:redface1::D

Where about do you live in Iowa, Gigi? I used to visit there a lot; loved it there. I spent most of the time in the north part of the state, mostly Kossuth County in the Algona area. I was hoping if I get my husky this fall to drive down that way and through Iowa to visit but with the price of gas the way it is I might not do that after all. If it drops, then I'll probably change my mind.

Gosh, Thanks ,thats loads of information!!.Will checkout the rajarani website.Good to know too that not every American lives in a mansion !!.I think if I had to choose between a big house with a small garden or a small house with a big garden,I know which I'd prefer.Then I could have a few more huskies LOL!!.Seriously though it must be wonderful to have enough ground to let them run around like yours can.I would never have to worry about Tundy dragging me along a road again,having lead burns on my hands,and being pulled over every time he sees another dog!!.Wouldn't that be grand!!:redface1::D

Yeah, most Americans don't live in mansions, we live in generally smaller housing than that! I agree - rather have the outdoor space for the dogs - although large rooms are good for having a number of dogs (and cats, when the dogs in question aren't bound and determined to eat them!) sprawled around! Despite having a good yard to run and play in, they still love to get out for a walk - one-on-one time with Mom!

Where about do you live in Iowa, Gigi? I used to visit there a lot; loved it there. I spent most of the time in the north part of the state, mostly Kossuth County in the Algona area. I was hoping if I get my husky this fall to drive down that way and through Iowa to visit but with the price of gas the way it is I might not do that after all. If it drops, then I'll probably change my mind.

If you go to the member map, there are 3 pins right together roughly in the middle of the map - mine is one of them! I'm about a half-hour west of Cedar Falls/Waterloo. We're having a meet-up the weekend after Labor Day, if that happens to coincide with you getting your baby! (http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/iowa-meet.23634/) Where is your dog coming from? Good luck!

I don't think I've been in that area, so yay! I know about the meet up but I don't think my pup would be able to be brought home then. As it is, still waiting on him/her to be born and I'm hoping there's enough in the litter for me to get one. Pup will come from Wyoming, so if I do go pick the pup up personally I'll be going past Iowa on my way there and back.

I don't think I've been in that area, so yay! I know about the meet up but I don't think my pup would be able to be brought home then. As it is, still waiting on him/her to be born and I'm hoping there's enough in the litter for me to get one. Pup will come from Wyoming, so if I do go pick the pup up personally I'll be going past Iowa on my way there and back.

Quite the drive! Good luck, and don't forget to post up any pics you get! If you end up going and need a place to stop over, pm me and we'll see if we can work something out.

Quite the drive! Good luck, and don't forget to post up any pics you get! If you end up going and need a place to stop over, pm me and we'll see if we can work something out.

I definitely won't; I plan to bring a laptop with me if I go to post the daily/trip pictures. Actually I'm hoping gas does go down to make it possible; I love that area of the US.

Thank you for the offer! Will keep it in mind and if I don't get the pup shipped but go, will let you know. :D

oh wow great vids - they've got a great space to play too!! :up:

Thanks, Sarah. They love their yard - they have so much fun chasing each other around it - when it's not so hot out! :P

WOW! Great place Gigi!:up::wow2: Beautiful pack!:wub::wub:

Thanks, Brian. I like it - and them! Love being out there in nature, and listening to all the birds. Even have a pair of Red Tail Hawks nesting back there... :)

Looks like an amazing place to live ,I love the sound of the birds singing :DGreat video lovely dogs!!!

Thanks! :) There are many who would think it a very boring place to live - it's very rural, and I have to drive about a half hour or more (depending on which way I go) to do anything more than the most basic kind of shopping, movie theaters, and so on, but I love it!

Same with us Gigi. We have shops where we are, but they are ridiculously expensive so we do one monthly shop in the nearest big town which is about a 35 minute drive. The nearest theater is in Cape Town which is an hour's drive. But, the sea is fifteen minutes away and the mountains are on our doorstep, so we don't complain too loudly :)