such a handfull, are everyones like this?

jroberts1

i would like to know what everyone elses husky was like at 6 months. nanook is like a hyperactive kid.we took her to my mum and dads last night and she was such a torment, jumping up at mum n dad, mouthing them. we all had a play with her but when i was trying to tell her to calm down or get her down off mum or dad she started mouthing me and her teeth were digging in quite hard. it was probably over excitement cos she's not that bad at home. she seems to be like this with other people. it's getting so i can't meet other people (out of the pack) so to speak as she becomes soooo embarrasing and badly behaved. will she calm down as she gets older ? i don't think i can cope with her behaviour always like this.:S:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry can't be any help here, didn't have millie until year old. I think it is probably something they'll grow out of though, could possibly speed it up with obedience training if you're not already doing so. x

am trying obedience traing but she only behaves when SHE wants to. she seems to have virtually no attention span.lol.

am trying obedience traing but she only behaves when SHE wants to. she seems to have virtually no attention span.lol.

Same problem I have, Millie only does something if she wants to! Really tasty treats dont even work if she's looking at something else lol. Think that's just a husky thing :)

my girl was like that at that age too x3 A total nut, always up and about, with the whole "What's next? What's next?" attitude, and always mouthing...

she's almost 11 months now, and she's calmed down a LOT. She has an awesome personality now, she doesn't mouth at all (even though it wasn't that bad to begin with, but she did to it) and she just overall relaxed a lot :3

with the mouthing, Whenever she tried to do that I'd turn away and TOTALLY ignore her, maybe even start reading or something...I know lots of people tell you that, and she might still try getting your attention, but after a while, when she noticed it doesn't work at all, she'd eventually just go away and calm down.

my girl was like that at that age too x3 A total nut, always up and about, with the whole "What's next? What's next?" attitude, and always mouthing...

she's almost 11 months now, and she's calmed down a LOT. She has an awesome personality now, she doesn't mouth at all (even though it wasn't that bad to begin with, but she did to it) and she just overall relaxed a lot :3

with the mouthing, Whenever she tried to do that I'd turn away and TOTALLY ignore her, maybe even start reading or something...I know lots of people tell you that, and she might still try getting your attention, but after a while, when she noticed it doesn't work at all, she'd eventually just go away and calm down.

that makes me feel a bit better, there is hope then.:yahoo:

*SIGH* ok here goes lol u wanna hear about a terror...now I am no newbie to Huskies but I have NEVER had one this destructive.....Sookie has been with me since she was 8 weeks old. The first episode was when she ripped the carpet up in the hallway.......Not happy! Moved on from that ....next time she broke into my laundry room and destroyed everything in it.......Not Happy! Moved on from that......I think I have the house bomb proofed and then she finds something else. This time she has broken into the dining room (my favorite room in the house) Dining.jpg Yes I know ...beautiful isn't it? I was such a wreck I couldn't even take photos of it without jerking.

Dining2.jpg

I am pretty speechless ................................my nerves are shot ! I just went and sat down and stared at the floor for a bit....then started the 3 hour clean up! The photo is mild but I have never seen anything like it in my life...I have shut the door on the Dining room and left it because I can't bare to go in it. Everything inside the room was dragged out onto my wetroom and onto the back patio (we leave the door open for her to go in and out onto the patio) I will be bolting all the doors on the weekend. I have a huge back patio that is sunken into the ground and is bricked about 8 feet up ...so she can't escape from that and it also has a brick and tiled out building in it for shelter. I have banned her from the house while I am not there and she is only allowed in when I am home. It's shocking that she did this in a time frame of 2 hours. Once I've calmed down and can speak properly I will sort everything out. She is 6 months old and I am praying that this is a phase....never ever owned a dog like this one.............

Wow Tim, that is scary :( Can you not crate train her, maybe that will be the answer in the long run, as every time you leave her, you will be wondering what you are going to get home to. It is a beautiful room by the way.

Nanook is a girl, right? Don't worry, girls mature real quick. In a two or three months she will calm down A LOT and you'll tell yourself how lucky you are when you see other husky owners that owns a boy dog. Guess what? Boys will always act like a puppy!! >.< Diamond (a boy) is two years old and he's still very jumpy!! I can no longer count how many shoes he has destroyed!! =/

Sorry I feel like I've highjacked this post....I should have posted it seperately. Rosemary With the banishment in place Sookie will hopefully appreciate the fact that she lives in a nice home and stop her madness. She cannot be trusted at this point so Outside is her only option at the moment. It isn't like she has been chucked out into a back garden and left. I will take photos of it when I get home so you can see the set up...if I were a dog I would love it...Diesel actually prefers it to being in the house. Sookie will have to get used to it until she can behave herself. I know it looks a bit primitive but when I am done it won't...

DSCF9656.jpg

out.jpg

*SIGH* ok here goes lol u wanna hear about a terror...now I am no newbie to Huskies but I have NEVER had one this destructive.....Sookie has been with me since she was 8 weeks old. The first episode was when she ripped the carpet up in the hallway.......Not happy! Moved on from that ....next time she broke into my laundry room and destroyed everything in it.......Not Happy! Moved on from that......I think I have the house bomb proofed and then she finds something else. This time she has broken into the dining room (my favorite room in the house) Dining.jpg Yes I know ...beautiful isn't it? I was such a wreck I couldn't even take photos of it without jerking.

Dining2.jpg

I am pretty speechless ................................my nerves are shot ! I just went and sat down and stared at the floor for a bit....then started the 3 hour clean up! The photo is mild but I have never seen anything like it in my life...I have shut the door on the Dining room and left it because I can't bare to go in it. Everything inside the room was dragged out onto my wetroom and onto the back patio (we leave the door open for her to go in and out onto the patio) I will be bolting all the doors on the weekend. I have a huge back patio that is sunken into the ground and is bricked about 8 feet up ...so she can't escape from that and it also has a brick and tiled out building in it for shelter. I have banned her from the house while I am not there and she is only allowed in when I am home. It's shocking that she did this in a time frame of 2 hours. Once I've calmed down and can speak properly I will sort everything out. She is 6 months old and I am praying that this is a phase....never ever owned a dog like this one.............

:omg: Tim,you kept that one quiet!!.There I was thinking what a sweet little puppy!!.Thank goodness we never let her into the house!!:yikes:

Jackie, when we got Ozzy as a puppy he was always mouthing us, and our visitors. We told him NO each time he mouthed us, and got up and walked away - he soon realised that it was not ok and stopped. We still have problems with them jumping up on people but we are working on it, but it is very important that everyone works together on this - visitors must follow the rules as well. We have been very strict with them both over the last few days and it is getting better, but we have a long way to go still.

Tim, that looks like a great space for her. As long as she can't jump onto the ledge and escape it will be perfect - put in a little kiddy splash pool for the hot days, and she has it made :) it's a great solution.

That photo just doesn't do the destruction justice..I was such a wreck I couldn't take a decent one..thats only one corner of the room..............u coulda thrown a handfull of corn and at it and each piece woulda hit sumthin! ..Arghhhhhh

Ok Tim, I think you may have to relent and crate train. either that or empty your house!!!!

Jackie, Seems like she may have hit the adolescent teenager stage. Firm rules, discipline and I notice you live in a boat. How much exercise does she get? Maybe up it a bit? She is too young to do any scootering or bike joring or cani-x but just more walks may help. At her age she could have about 2-4 1/2 hour walks.

Yeah well I have to say that ours was a pain at that age as well.

But if he started with the crazies at our grandparents house, he would be immediately put in a separate room and released after he calmed down. We did not allow any mouthing at all and certainly not harassing my grandparents, for treats or anything else.

And a very good idea is taking her for a long walk before visiting other people. Also, you should be prepared for a while, whenever she meets somebody new, to take her away for a few minutes if she becomes to excited and to bring her back when she is calm.

That photo just doesn't do the destruction justice..I was such a wreck I couldn't take a decent one..thats only one corner of the room..............u coulda thrown a handfull of corn and at it and each piece woulda hit sumthin! ..Arghhhhhh

Didn't realise it had only just happened :omg:

Bo is 6 1/2 months right now....he still acts like a big puppy though. He still digs trenches (yes, trenches), chews shoes, eats plants, almost tore up my vegetable garden (had to put up a fence made of poultry netting (he has learned to put a paw on one side, hold it down, and jump over, ugh), mouths (although not as bad), and is full of p@## and vinegar. I can't wait til he chills out....he still jumps on visitors, and mouths them too. Sometimes I feel like I have the bad kid in class. I have tried everything suggested by everyone on this site......seeems to me that he has an iron will. But I still love him:heartbeat:

Is she on a lead when she meets new people or goes to new places? Personally that is the first place that I would start. Reading all of this....it seems we've been oretty lucky with Teeko but we have been really on top of training and very firm with him over the last month or two....preparing for the teenage months to kick in really.

I think the trick has to bbe to not let them get away with anything! And some days it can feel like you spend the whole time saying NO or ignoring them but in the long run it'll be worth it.