Dog pack kills animals, terrorizes Wa. Town

aronoiiel

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/123574559.html

There are some things that seem very strange to me the first being the dogs killing for fun. Maybe its me but I dont see dogs as the time of animal to kill for fun when running in a pack like this. The second is they've hit so many animals and yet no one has gotten ONE good description of a single dog to at least get a breed idea? I understand they move at night alot but people HAVE seen them apparently. Idk does this seem odd to anyone else O_o

Oh, I don't know... The way some of my dogs look at the cats around my place, I suspect that if they could, they would quite happily kill them for the fun of it. I can see them going after some of my neighbors' livestock for the fun of it, too... Prey drive is pretty strong, and if they are well enough fed, I can see that the joy of the chase plus the competitiveness of the pack mentality could lead to killing just to kill... :(

when Storm got out by accident( my other dog doesn't tolerate being in the run and will go to amazing lengths to escape - managed to undo the safety catch on the gate) Storm just galloped around the garden tossing chickens in the air having a wonderful time. She didn't make any attempt to eat any it was just the thrill of the chase.

We don't put gem in the run any more and have added extra safety chains to protect my wee chickens.

Thanks for the link Stephanie interesting how the dogs they showed seem to be well off and not starved kinda scary thinking they are out there doing it for no obvious reason. I feel bad for them when they get caught still but I also feel bad for those people now living in fear for their families. Horrible situation

Yes the pack in question looks rather well fed...if you'd killed 100 animals in a few months you'd probably be looking happy healthy and certainly not starving. Another thing to take into account is that it is in an area where people live...just because people aren't intentionally putting food out for them doesn't mean that its not there...

I also don't think its for no reason at all...

When dogs get into a pack mentality with no human interaction to curb unwanted behavior is it really all that unrealistic to think that they'd go on instinct...sure there's a ton of animals around now...but they don't KNOW that that's always going to be the case...better to practice team work and the kill when there is an abundance and failure won't mean starving than to start on it for the first time when starvation is an issue and failure could mean death.

Yes we know its a rural community, yes we know that there will probably always be farmers in the area...but do the dogs actually comprehend this?

Anywho just my two cents on whether or not it's 'just for fun'...funny how things get chalked up to mindless bloodlust when people can't figure out a motivation...