Angry Dog...

Smiler

Grrr...not quite enough for the steam room...

A couple of weeks ago Harley overstepped the mark during a play interaction with an older (around 9yrs?) labrador called Garcia. Harley play bowed, got nothing in return, and then jumped on the off-lead Garcia to play. Garcia schooled him, biting his neck (but not fully closing) and put Harley back in his place. The correction from Garcia was carried out correctly and I have no problem with it - in fact, it seems to have taught Harley to wait for an appropriate acceptance before jumping in to play, and he has been brilliant with dogs since.

Oh, I keep Harley on the lead too...and this incidence was on the huge field behind my house, where I have gate access.

Last Saturday Garcia's friend Bella came to say hi, which was recieved calmly by Bella and Harley, yet Garcia sprinted across the field and dove straight into Harley with full on agression and full bites - the body language said it all. It took five kicks to keep him off Harley from me before the owner managed to get Garcia on a lead. Harley responded all the time by looking to me for leadership and didn't respond agressively back - I was really impressed with his response! The owner was horrified stating 'he's never done that before', and agreed that if Harley was in the field that Garcia will be kept on the lead. We stayed chatting until Garcia and Harley were both just sitting and relaxed in each other's company.

I thought that was it, yet Tuesday night the owner's son (I guess he's early twenties) brought Garcia into the field and just let him off when I was on the other side with Harley. Garcia sprinted over showing full agression. Harley looked to me, I told him to sit-stay, and as Garcia approached I fronted him stepping forward confrontationally yet with calmness and firmness causing Garcia to stop confused - a perfect pattern interrupt. I kept Harley on the opposing side of me while Garcia kept his distance a few feet away growling and snarling, though responding to my 'bubble' I had created until the owner's son got him on the lead. I reiterrated that Harley is entitled to be in the field without being attacked from an agressive dog, so he was to keep him on lead when Harley is around.

Last night it escalated further. I was training someone in my home gym when I heard agressive snarling and growling at the rear gate to the field. I looked out the gym and saw Garcia scrabbling trying to get at Harley in the rear garden through the three inches at the bottom of the gate. Harley was just watching him, well Garcia's nose and paws as he scrabbled on the concrete base beneath the gate. I could hear the owner's son shouting from the other side of the field. I waited until the owner's son was by the rear gate scolding Garcia who was ignoring him, so I hopped up on a tree stump to look over the fence at which Garcia broke free and agressively jumped up at me through couldn't reach. I told the owner's son to bring him under control and he got him on the lead, and he then instantly slipped collar and jumped up at me snarling before then trying to break through the fence. The owner's son then managed to bring him under control.

I told him, and told him to tell his parents, that from now on Garcia is not to be let off the lead in this field. I told him that Garcia is showing agressive and dangerous tendencies and this should be their problem and not mine and Harley's. I told him that Harley should be allowed to be relaxed in his garden and not feel threatened by Garcia's agression and trying to break through - and I shouldn't be subjected to it either. I told him that this was NOT to happen again.

If Garcia is allowed off lead like that again, and shows any of this previous behaviour, I will threaten action under the Dangerous Dogs Act for which Garcia has already fallen foul. If this is not heeded I may have no option but to report to the local dog warden (who is a friend) or the police directly. I should not be worried about being attacked by a dog for just going through my gate, let alone in the field, and neither should Harley. Dogs are dogs, yet it is down to us to manage their behaviour, isolated incidencts are isolated incidents, yet this is a pattern which is developing and a pattern which needs stopping.

Alternatively I will suggest they go to a canine behaviourist to help Garcia be more accepting of Harley living on the edge of what he obviously considers, incorrectly, to be his 'territory'.

Alternatively I will have no hesitation in schooling Garcia myself.

What do you guys think?

Best regards,

Smiler

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you have a big problem. We run into similar things like when we take the boys for a run and the little fufu dogs run out of their garages and into the street barking at us. Sometimes "onby" works, but other times, my boys just want to have a snack. We also live up against a large park and people bring their dogs that "never" stray out there to play off lead, even though it is not fenced and not allowed. When they approach us, or come to our fence, my boys go nuts and we are forever "schooling" others. They usually look at us and say their dog just wanted to say hi. I tell them they ought to then knock on my door and I will bring them in my yard, which is not what they really want to do when they get a full on look at my boys, who are very good with others, but don't like to be challenged. Who does? I think your plan is a grande one. Go for it. :banghead::duh:

One thing that I won't do is hurt Garcia in any way - I'm pretty skilled with my feet and even the kicks I gave were instep only and applied as a strike and push to 'safe' target areas...I would never look to have a dog hurt...but I would look to the owners to sort their dog out fully!

I would also never put Harley in harms way - I'm responsible for him, so he MUST come first...so I don't want him to sort this problem out, he's not agressive in any way and I don't want him to learn that he can be...I would prefer to keep him nice happy and balanced...

Best regards,

Smiler

yea I also think you're doing the right thing. There's also this aggressive dog that often try to harm Diamond, but he's a mini Pomeranian LOL. But despite his size, Zero is one threatening dog. He didn't only growl and snarl, but he also bit Diamond. He can't reach Diamond's neck... But he bit Diamond's hind legs! :eek: What surprised me is that Diamond's reaction is a simple warning growl. He doesn't see Zero as a dinner at all! At first I thought that's because he's shy, but then I learn that he doesn't attack Zero because he believes it is my job as his leader. So... Guess what? I did my job.

I found this trick in the internet, maybe you can try doing this too, Smiler. So when Zero is approaching Diamond, I put Dime behind my legs and point my finger (no, not middle finger) to his face. I said "NO!" as loud as I can and prevent every attack attempts with my legs. And no, I didn't go home with a bloody leg. Turns out I managed to beat him in his own area by simply preventing him to bite my boy =D and three seconds later he ran back to his owner. Up until today, Zero never bite/growl at Dime again. If he sees Dime walking with me, he won't even try to come close to my boy ^0^

While your right you shouldnt have to deal with this problem.. I feel like perhaps your (very right) desire to protect your own dog is stopping you from seeing the cause of the issue rather than just the symptoms. If there had never been a problem with the dog until recently perhaps his owners need to concider a vet visit to see if everything is in working order? It seems VERY strange that what (I assume??) is usally a docile dog is suddenly turned into a wild snarling monster!!! I think perhapps especially because of his age he is hurting in some way and thats causeing him to lash out?

Also it sounds like the owners son doesnt have very good control over the dog and that is deffinatly something that needs to be addressed if he is reguarly taking the dog out for walks he needs to work with the dog to gain some respect and control before he goes letting it off the lead at all, nevermind near other dogs!

Finally I deffinatly think the phrase "you catch more flys with honey" applies here.. try to stay calm and not go in all guns blazzing as this just puts people on the deffensive and doesnt solve the actual problem, if you go in calm and with an aer of concern for them and their dog they will be MUCH more co-operative! I know this from expereince, with someone who had a problem with my dog, instead of approaching me nicely and chatting with me, to which I would have bent over backwards to accomodate them, they went straight to threats and authorities and just got my back up so now I wouldnt pee on them if they were on fire!! :duh:

Thanks Lee, I’ve found the people involved to be amiable in the past and also concerned, so it should sort it out OK. Also, I’m a pretty stable character who can look after himself mentally and physically and I’m using this to ‘lead’ Harley into being calm yet still asserting himself in the same situations, showing firm leadership, so he can learn to follow and do the same. It’s not Garcia’s fault either – he’s just a dog, albeit a grumpy one lol! No-one’s hurt yet least of all Harley, and I’m intervening to prevent this from happening at all.

Olivia, I did similar, providing a block between Garcia and Harley, looking him firmly and confrontationally in the eye, my body language calm but large and firm, my finger raised in a scold to help me project my intention…obviously didn’t stop Garcia’s next attempt though!

Sarah, you are indeed right, maybe a vet visit…however, Garcia is only projecting this aggression to the ‘new kid on the block’ Harley, and is fine around all the other dogs – maybe the hierarchy is already set with the others? It there was a medical issue I would assume (dangerous to do!) that the problem behaviour would manifest elsewhere too…?

To be honest I’m not looking for the cause of the problem. I’ve looked at Harley, I’ve been studying his body language and behaviour closely in every interaction to check on and correct his behaviour when necessary, every little wag/eye brow raise/posture/head turn – everything he is doing. I want to be one step ahead of Harley to assist him in becoming well behaved. The problem is Garcia’s, and it’s up to his owners to solve the problem and look for the cause of the issue.

And don’t worry, I’m 100% calm and always (as in this post!) put the dogs first…my state management is definitely not a concern, nor is the language and communication I use. I always work to give people every opportunity to do what they need to do – and note I said ‘threaten’ rather than just go ahead and report. Also the situation has been escalating with several instances so far, so the owners are already having (very polite!) reminders from me as to what they need to do. There’s only so much before ‘shock’ tactics are required to get action, although even there they will be done in such a way that learning can be achieved…

Mind you, if they want to pay me, I’ll look into the causes and resolve them myself…

Best regards,

Smiler

• 1 month later...

OK, now I'm furious.

Since my posts above there's been a few attacks at the back gate where Garcia has been attacking Harley through the gate - yet I haven't been able to get there in time. I've been waiting to spot the owner out too yet this hasn't happened.

Saturday Harley was bitten by Garcia, leaving a nice puncture would on his snout (healing very quickly). I was FURIOUS!!!

Here's what I put on FB...

" Apparently its my fault because Harley was on lead? Really? And apparently it was Harley who was aggressive? The other dog gave attention, stalked, snarled, bared teeth, braced legs, heckles up. I sat Harley down as he approached. Harley sh...owed ears forward attention. 'C' section mouth from the other dog. Harley stood. The other dog lunged to bite, I pulled Harley back and the other dog connected with his muzzle, he attacked again to be met by my boot, attack and boot repeated 3x, me pulling Harley back, then his focus was on me, and I was afraid, mouth c section and lunge and my foot was ready, then he backed off."

Couple of comments then:

"Apparently it was my fault for having Harley on a lead and its Harley who is the aggressive dog. That's why then the other dog has attacked Harley 3x and tried it another 4. Once before it took boots to get him off, and that time it was the owner's wife who told me she would have done the same thing in my place, and was apologetic. Track record...and I was furious..."

More comments then:

"Adam, yep, kicks, I was being careful not to damage the dog as I had boots on, it's not his fault - I was being careful with the application.

Apparently its just Harley he is aggressive towards...

By muzzle I mean Harley's snout that was bitt...en...

So far he has attacked Harley first when walked by the owner, then his wife, several times with 1 son and this was the first with their other son who looks about 19. The dog repeatedly attacks our rear gate to get at Harley. I've had words with them warning them several times.

The son was aggressive with me which wasn't surprising because I was so angry. He started having a go at me so I told him to stop being a tossers and get his dad so we can talk - not proud of calling him that lol!

His dad did come over, where he just unleashed a torrent at me for kicking his dog, before telling me they've taken steps to keep Garcia separate from Harley like keep him on a lead (yet he was off lead again last night) and that he was thinking of suing me...I asked him if we can talk through what happened and he just shouted me down and stormed off.

He was angry and obviously defending his son, so i'll let that all go. I'm going to look out for the owner and see if we can talk sensibly, then I will make my decision on how to act...

Harley has a puncture wound on his face, though not bad, though did bleed. It's small, should heal quickly and not leave a scar fortunately.

What makes me really angry is that Harley, being a husky who loves to run, is always on lead, I alwa...ys ask other owners if its ok to meet with their dogs first, and then I manage the interaction. And, if during the interaction Harley oversteps the mark and is schooled by the other usually older dog I have no problems with it. But this is off lead clear aggression with history of attack...grrrr

"

I'm still furious about it now - I'm so protective of my furball! I was in fear for both Harley and for me. And this is not funny any more. So I'm putting my emotions to one side and will be following my canine behaviourist friend's suggestion - look to talk with him, and see if he will agree to a pack walk with Garcia, me, Harley, her and her dogs in order to help Garcia to be more respectful. And if he won't talk or disagrees, then I will put it to him that he could be facing a court order for his dog and possibly a criminal conviction for repeatedly allowing his dog to be "dangerous at large", and again suggest that we get a neutral professional involved to prevent it escalating. I will also be hoping to record this chat with a sound recorder for my own protection.

I also have two friendly solicitors who have offered to draft letters for me to present to him failing this, so everything is properly put into writing and recorded. I won't be doing this until after my paragraph above...

I feel that this is the best solution, to help his dog first...as it is NOT his dogs fault. He is repeatedly allowing attacks, and I am now wary (yep, even a professional fighter like me, I don't mind admitting that I'm scared) of opening my rear gate onto the field to check if Garcia is there - and if he is, I am scared of him attacking both Harley, and also me.

I will also have no hesitation in kicking Garcia again - I can apply my feet with precision of application, and I will not be looking to hurt Garcia, just stop his attack.

I just want it to stop so I can allow Harley to enjoy his rear garden, and be free from fear of attack in the field behind us.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

OMG this is bad can't imagine if this happened to my Dime O_O I really don't get why Garcia's owner is angry at you bcoz you "kicked" his dog x) I really hope all went well tho.. Hope Harley can enjoy his rear garden real soon =)

wow i cant belive garcia's owner is being that way ! - i would be devasted if my dog was like that towards somebody elses dog and it certainlly wouldnt be let offlead!!! good luck in trying to talk to him and fix the problem - keep us posted - i really hope this doesnt have any negative effect on harley

Hi Olivia...I'm still waiting to spot him again to chat...

I think he's angry because he's in denial, and also perceives he is protecting his family. During his shouting at me he was shouting that Garcia is never aggressive - he ignored my comments that he has a short memory about the times he's seen it, and best he talks to his wife and other son...especially as his wife fully agreed with me and was apologetic when it happened under her watch...

Grrrrrrr...

Apparently there was someone the other side of the field (a football field's length away) that saw the whole incident too and that she saw me and Harley being aggressive and me just kicking the dog...first time I've seen a sitting dog sitting still classed as aggressive...he only stood after the C section mouth (clear indication of intent) and even then just showed attention, standing up, no forward motion, and was easy for me to pull behind me to prevent him getting bitten...

I think I was in denial too, probably part of my anger is with myself for allowing it to happen. I saw the dog, and thought, bugger that, I'm not going to not access my own property - I should have shouted at the owner prior to the attack to get Garcia on lead...though if I'd done that I would probably be perceived as paranoid, although, as it was shown, rightly so...as it was I didn't advance towards my gate I just asked Harley to sit. Not exactly aggressive posturing in a big field...

Grrrrrrrrr....

Report them to the Police.

present them with vets bills for Harleys care.

Get a restraining order against the dog and owners.

Hey Nixy, Harley's fine...I got him straight back in the saddle...

Later after the attack he had a good 10mins very rough play with a black lab who is far too boisterous, who played very rough with Harley who played fairly back and really enjoyed it. Yesterday during bike-joring over the military training grounds I stopped periodically so he could have fun with a pack of terriers, later some setters, then a golden retreiver, then a couple of friends of his who are rottie x husky's...yesterday too we had friends round for dinner who brought their incredibly grumpy Westie round too, who growled, snarled and snapped at Harley who wanted to play only, though never over-stepped the mark, and they both ended up playing really well all afternoon in Harley's home.

Chas (the Westie) kept doing his best to wind Harley up, initially actually showing agressive behaviour on many occassions (initially) towards Harley in his own home - yet got nothing but friendly responses back. And this aggression turned into play. Showing leadership with Harley I even allowed them both to eat and drink together from the same bowls (managing it of course) without needing any corrections they both did so nicely, and they both sat and waiting in turns while I gave them pieces of chicken...it was cool behaviour from both of them...

He seems to be more than fine and the wound looks like it's healing quickly...

And the good behaviour from Harley has got my wifey more exciting and pushing for another husky already - I say yes, but lets wait until around 18months first...

TBH I think you've been more than resonable. If you know where they live I would call round to them one evening and ask if you can speak to them with regards to their dogs behaviour, rather than meeting Garcia in the field again, where tensions rise.

It might be that Garcia is in pain and your pushing him away with your boot hurt him (due to underlying issue, not your force) and that's why he now snaps at you aswell as Harley.

It's a terrifying situation for anyone to be in, you shouldn't be bullied out of your walks by a dog that isn't being properly controlled!!

You mentioned that Garcia's got "previous" under the "Dangerous Dogs Act"....do you know the details? And what are the owners thinking letting a dog like that off a lead??!

Hope Harley is okay xx

God...sounds like you and poor harley are having a horrible time with all this...

Hope it gets sorted out soon

Just incase it does go further make sure you take photos of any injuries to yourself or harley I'd also videotape Garcia trying to bite harley under the fence

hope it works out

Oh what a horrible situation to be in. The owners are definately at fault in this instance...and it seems that you're a rather self aware person. Some things to try to keep in mind

• Even when kids are wrong...parents are instinctively protective of their kids, and its unlikely that they will approach you if they think that you were somehow being abusive to their child (their perception is whats going to affect things the most in this instance)

• I would definately encourage them to get their pup to a vet to have him looked over and to have being in physical pain of somesort ruled out. While they profess that their dog only seems to have this problem with your boy...it may be just that other owners aren't as step up as you are and they may be missing the cues...I'm not an expert in anyway, but I do know that with people who have poor communication skills when it comes to communicating pain or suffering when they're unable to express or find a means of having their pain resolved they will sometimes perseverate upon one person for a myraid of reasons when it comes to lashing out (sometimes its just a person who they're unfamiliar with that provokes feelings of fear or that reminds them of the cause of their own discomfort). I'm not certain how often this happens with dogs...so again just something to keep in mind.

• I think you're well within reason to be reporting this incident...you also may want to point out that until Garcia attempted to attack your boy, from afar it's not likely that the scene was intense enough to draw enough attention to have had the entire incident witnessed from start to finish (things look a bit different and loose their intensity 100m out than they do 25...especially when it comes to picking up the triggering moment that puts things into a violent sort of confrontation.

• In the event that you're able to communicate with the dogs owners again...consider asking them if it would be possible to socialize the pair together with their boy muzzled over several short sessions so he can stop feeling threatened by your Harley.

Overall, I think you've delt with this in a very mature and reasonable manner...and its so frustrating when other people's emotions run in such a way that they can't see things clearly...here's hoping that they cease their communication shut down.

That owner needs to learn some manners and keep his dog on a lead, one day that man will regret it if it was ice or jasper they would bite back and someone else dog will and there dog could come worse off when I walk my guys I make them sit and watch me when I see another dog so my guys stay calm as they don't like dogs barking or growling at them. I would definitely talk to him and tell him its simple but the dog on a lead or suffer the punishment I would call the police and report him if he goes to bite you or another dog he should be on lead and have a muzzle on. He is classified as a dangerous dog and will be put to sleep if the police find him to aggressive

does your dog have blue eyes? I am asking as friends of ours have a lab who for years has played really well with our old mongrel but started growling the minute she saw Storm ( she doesn't do this with other dogs just Storm) I wonder if other dogs sometimes find it harder to 'read' their intentions because of the blue eyes.

Just a novice's suggestion.

Wow, poor Harley hope he's recovering well, no person or dog should have to put up with that. Apart from recording any agression you see and taking pics of any damage, both to you and harley but also your property, i'm at a loss. I really really hope you get it sorted!

Smiler, I applaud your restraint! I know that I definitely would not be quite so cool.

Personally I tend to think that you've "bent too far over backwards" to be the good neighbour. Maybe it's time to give the police a heads up, not file a complaint, yet, just to let them know there's a problem. If you've a friend on the police force, possibly you might inveigle him to be in the neighbourhood or take a walk with you and Harly when you know that Garcia might be out.

Cheers guys, some really useful help and advice and words of support!

I’ve photographed the puncture wound, and have tried to catch him attacking through the gate – the problem is I’ve not got there in time, as I’ve been in the house or in the gym with a client…and the one time I was there I didn’t have my phone (camera) with me, so I just watched to see what Harley’s reaction was – and it was just to stay still, all alert and targeting body language but no reaction further…

Stephanie – some wise words there, thanks!

Christie, you are right, and in your last comment I know the police may do that so it is indeed my last resort…

Angela – what an interesting thought! He does have blue eyes…the only universal signal from the eyes that the other dog may perceive would be ‘whale-eyeing’ I think, I’m not sure if the dogs perception of sight is strong enough to note much more amongst the larger body language communication…yet I’ve just looked at Harley’s eyes and because of the blue it is definitely harder to distinguish between whale-eying and not – you have really got me thinking now, thank you so much!!!

And Al, thanks, I’ve been cool, yet I was so angry on Saturday after the event that it hasn’t worn off yet! I do regret calling the owner’s son a ‘tosser’, albeit justified in response I am supposed to be the responsible adult. I’m sparring tonight, so I can let it go…I’ve got some police friends so will ask their advice too – good thinking, and thanks!

I’ve got to go and teach my kickboxing class tonight, and Harley is all exercised though may take him out for a leg-stretch later – I’m keeping my eyes out for them – I will keep Harley away if I’m with him and spot them, put him in and then go on my own to talk. I don’t want to talk without a recorder on me though for sure!

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again...got back in from a lovely walk in National Trust grounds yesterday, let Harley out in the back garden, and 5minutes later there's growling and barking and scrabbling at my back gate to the field. I grab my phone and recorded it in HD. Harley is still, tail up slightly at his back and in a straight line back horizontal with the ground, back arched, head down looking at the gap beneath the gate, ears forward. The other dogs nose is underneath and it is barking away. I ask Harley to move aside and step on a tree stump to peer over the fence. I see Garcia the golden retreiver scrabbling at the underside of the gate barking and snapping.

Oh, all the time one of the owner's sons is laughing away. "I suppose you find this funny" I say, that your dog is attacking my dog again, and under the Dangerous Dog Act 1991 is classed as dangerous at large which is not just a civil matter but a criminal one as well?" This is the third son I believe, different and younger than the other two.

He started to say he didn't know, then he asked what type of dog Harley is, and then said oh, my Dad said to stay away from huskies because Garcia has been attacked by one. I responded with well that isn't Harley, but this is the 8th incident where Garcia has been attacking him, and I've had to kick him off Harley, who has always been on the lead, twice before. I told him to call his dad, which he did. I went and got out of my (1/2 chewed garden clogs) into trainers and put Harley in the kitchen, opened the back gate to hear the Dad having a go at his son, along the lines of "I told you not to!". He put Garcia on the lead, turned and walked off. I followed, stating loudly the DDA quote above, and also stating that unless we resolve it I have no option but to report to the dog warden and the police. I offered an independent canine behaviourist to put on a pack walk (As my friend has offered) to help Garcia learn to live with Harley, and there was no response. He lives near me, so I followed him, again repeating the statements, and also that the only reason why I was following him was to see where he lived so I could follow up with the police and DW. I know roughly where he lived, and he went in the opposite direction, so I returned home. The video was off for the bit with the Dad, but there were independent witnesses.

I jumped in my truck and drove round hoping to see him return - and saw his son, so I stopped and asked where he lived. The phone went while we were chatting, as we were discussing that we need to get it sorted and there is a solution on offer. It was his mum, who apparently showed concern, because I hear the son say (no, he's looking to get it resolved). All of this interaction is recorded on my video phone, though sound only as I did it covertly. I said I would really love to speak with his mum so we can get this sorted. It kinda went quiet, ok he said, and I said can I speak with your mum. He said I could, and told me how to get to his house. I asked which number on the road it was...he hesitated, then said no. 8. He was about 16-17 so I wanted to be careful. I drove round to the house he described and it didn't match the number, so I went to no. 8. where I had to explain who I was to a confused occupant. Yep, he'd lied to send me off.

So this morning I reported it to environmental health and the dog warden is off today but will call me tomorrow. Such a shame it has come to this, as now I have to invoke the law. And I will.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Well you have tried hun now its time to involve the police and the dog warden. These people think what they are doing is a game well now its time for them to start living in the real world and suffer for the actions they choose to take as they aren't willing to listen and for you to help them. I feel sorry for the dog as its the owners fault if they were responsible they would put the dog on a lead and muzzle or put a headcollar on the dog so they can control it