New Husky owner!

Joe Barton

We will be meeting and possibly picking up an 8 month old Husky on Sunday from a shelter. She has been weighed at 35 lbs and 18inches. Just wondering if that's about normal and how much more growing she has left after 8 months.

Anyone have a Husky similar in size and a photo? She looks a lot larger in the photos that we have and we're just trying to get an idea of what we may be getting into!

Our families have had Huskys growing up and we absolutly love these animals. We're so excited to add to our family too!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That weight sounds about right. When we got Yukon at 5 months he was 28 pounds, and has slowly put on weight until he is now 51 pounds at 15 months old. Going from being 35 pounds at 8 months I suspect she will get to the 48-50 pound mark. Pretty close to breed standards. Our female Denali hung right around 35-40 pounds until she hit 12 months old, then she "thickened" up to the 47 pounds that she is now at 18 months.

HI Joe, Urbandale here!

Yes, you must make it to the camp. Only about 1/2 hour drive for you. I look forward to seeing your new girl there!

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/events/iowa-husky-meet.7/

That weight and height sounds about right. Mine is 6 months at 35lbs+- and 19"(guess) but I think she is gonna be a big girl.

Yours sounds like she is right on track.

Kudos to you for giving a shelter husky a new home.

Hi Joe. Welcome to the Pack. She sounds about right for her age. Huskies are fully grown at or about 18 months. By all means, you should plan on meeting up at the Husky Camp near Ackley, Iowa. It will be the weekend after Labor Day. I'm on my Android right now, otherwise I would post some links. Austinville and Sutsiibe are sort of at the helm in organizing things. Nice to see another Iowan on the forum. Kudos for adopting from a shelter. Make sure to post some pics when you get her home.

Hi there, great job taking in a shelter dog! Idk if that's the right weight or not =/ sorry =( but tell you what: just because a dog doesn't fulfill the breed standard doesn't mean she's not a purebred! ^0^ so don't worry too much, 'kay?

post-143-13586073887968_thumb.jpg

Here are the two pictures that we've gotten so far. She appears to be pure white, but I always thought pure whites had skin colored noses and Gray's had black noses. I suppose that this could also be an indication that she is not a pure husky. Getting a purebred isn't a huge deal to us, would definitely be cool, but not a deal breaker at all. We picked up all of our puppy/dog supplies today, getting the house ready and can't hardly wait to go pick her up!

Anyone more experianced owners/showers have any thoughts or points that the pictures would indicate if she is a pure husky or what she may be mixed with?

Thanks for all of the kind words and welcome! I work for an insurance company in central Iowa and the Fort Dodge to Iowa Falls Hwy 20 corridor is my territory so I am acutally very familure with the Ackley area and am very interested in the camp, I'll have to look into it a little more. If nothing else it would be awesome to make a day trip up to hang out!

post-5251-13585970384005_thumb.jpg

post-5251-13585970385762_thumb.jpg

Hi and :welcome: from still another Iowan!

She looks lovely, and purebred by the looks of her.:heartbeat: Whites can have either liver pigmentation or black. The white coloration is cause by the lack of the gene that produces the "saddle" pattern of color. If she had that gene, she would either be black or gray and white. I would say she might gain another inch or a little more - end up around 45 lbs so long as she's at the right weight. Good things come in small packages, they always say! :P

Love to have you come to Camp in September, if you can make it. If you think you'd like to come, and would be planning on renting a cabin, you probably want to get your reservation in soon. So far, 3 of the 7 cabins are taken... :camping:

The skin coloured nose is called snownose its when there is less sunlight around the nose goes paler kind of like us getting a tan in the summer.. underneither the pink they will have a normal colour pigment either black or liver (brown) and as Gigi was saying the pigment of their nose tells you what colour coat they would have had if they hadnt been all white.. liver usually goes with a redish coat colour and black with a grey or black coat.

Congrats on your new baby and well done for rescuing! :)

Polee's pure white and a big girl all around although apparently not overweight according to our Vet which did surprise me. If I remember correctly at 8 months of age she was a little taller and heavier than your girl is now.

Well done on providing a rescue with a forever home

Well I just picked her up and made the three hour drive home. She's absolutely amazing and I cannot believe how well behaved and loving she is. I am absolutely floored. She's much smaller than any husky I've ever seen and there's no doubt that she is some sort of mix but I can't tell with what. None the less she's beautiful and we're so happy to have her!

I'll post some pics soon.

Well I just picked her up and made the three hour drive home. She's absolutely amazing and I cannot believe how well behaved and loving she is. I am absolutely floored. She's much smaller than any husky I've ever seen and there's no doubt that she is some sort of mix but I can't tell with what. None the less she's beautiful and we're so happy to have her!

I'll post some pics soon.

what makes u think shes a mix? i know a couple of small girls - n huskies are alot smaller than people think