New Husky owner!

Joe Barton

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kira is so pretty! Comparing the two makes me wonder now if she may be full. Thanks for the pictures!

We picked out 'Nya' (Pronouced Ni-ah) as her name. I liked 'Aspen' which is what they called her at the shelter but Alyssa used the power of womanly veto to shoot it down.

Well, full or not she's been awesome. I have a few things to teach her (sit, lay, stay, etc) but for the most part she listens really well so I think training shouldn't be to terribly difficult. She comes when called and hasn't been near as hyper as I expected. She seems to understand when I say 'outside' and runs right to the back door. We went for a walk yesterday prior to taking her into the house as she pulls a little on the leash but not uncomfortably or to the point where she is choking herself.

She wasn't too happy about sleeping in her kennel last night however, she whippered and whined for a good fifteen minutes before she finally gave in and went to sleep.

I took her out this morning and played a little in the back yard, then left her out there to blow off some steam while I went in to take a shower. When I came out (probably fifteen minutes later) she had found a bunny nest somewhere and had picked out a baby bunny as a play toy. I chalked it up to the fact that she's a dog and this is just instinct, but I wanted to get eveyone's opinion as well. Is this anything to be worried about? She wasn't eating it, or being mean, she appeared to just be playing with it like she does her chew toys.

I've been reading through quite a few of the other forum topics and have picked up a lot of very useful information but if there is anything that you think would be helpful, please do not hesitate to post it here too! Thanks!

They tend to be pretty predatory, although still being a puppy, that may not have totally kicked in yet (my first dog loved finding bunny nests - they were a wonderful snack - she thought!). If she does eat them, rabbits usually carry tapeworms, so you might want to keep her up to date with a wormer that treats for tapes - talk to your vet about what to use and when/how frequently.

So she's only been home for 24hrs and she hasn't ate a thing... We gave her the same food that she was eating at the shelter last night and she didn't even blink an eye, not interested at all. So, we put it away and went to sleep. This morning I put the food back out and left it out for an hr or so while we were getting ready and again she didn't even touch it.

I just got home from work and let her out of her kennel, we ran around the yard briefly and came back in and again still won't touch her food. So it's been at least 24 - 26 hrs since she's had anything to eat at all. Any suggestions? Is she just nervous?

She seems to be in good spirits, she's playful and runs like a crazy dog in the yard so she's not short of energy but I would think she would be hungry.

I would guess that she's nervous, and probably doesn't want to eat because of that - I know I often don't want to eat when I'm really stressed. Take her out after work, and give her a little run if the weather permits - it should be plenty cool, just a matter of lack of thunderstorms, by the look of things! Then get her to lay down by you for a little while and rub her belly for a bit, see if you can get her to relax a little, and offer the food again. I wouldn't add any goodies on to get her to eat, as if you set that precedent, she'll likely hold you to it in the future, and you could end up with a really picky girl! Many huskies can and will go for several days without eating - by choice!

You must be some sort of dog whisperer sutsibe! The wonderful thunderstorm that rolled through did not allow us to go for a run so we just played in the livingroom for about ten minutes. I got her to lay on the floor and relax for another ten with me and then she actually ate a little. I'd say she's had maybe a fourth cup of food which isn't much but it's a start. Thanks!

Paisley is the same age - 8 months - exactly today and shes almost 50lbs...

Might get a little bigger but not much

[ATTACH=full]11768[/ATTACH]

Just reading this thread and thought how your Paisley is like our Sassafrass (Sassy).Sass is just over 9 months old!!post-7830-13586074376394_thumb.jpg

post-2358-13585971203129_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=full]11671[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]11672[/ATTACH]

Here are the two pictures that we've gotten so far. She appears to be pure white, but I always thought pure whites had skin colored noses and Gray's had black noses. I suppose that this could also be an indication that she is not a pure husky. Getting a purebred isn't a huge deal to us, would definitely be cool, but not a deal breaker at all. We picked up all of our puppy/dog supplies today, getting the house ready and can't hardly wait to go pick her up!

Anyone more experianced owners/showers have any thoughts or points that the pictures would indicate if she is a pure husky or what she may be mixed with?

Thanks for all of the kind words and welcome! I work for an insurance company in central Iowa and the Fort Dodge to Iowa Falls Hwy 20 corridor is my territory so I am acutally very familure with the Ackley area and am very interested in the camp, I'll have to look into it a little more. If nothing else it would be awesome to make a day trip up to hang out!

heres my girl at around 8 months old

post-95-13586074403325_thumb.jpg

post-95-1358607440174_thumb.jpg

post-95-1358597121355_thumb.jpg

post-95-13585971214459_thumb.jpg

Nya definitely has waay more black and gray in her fur than Kira. Nya's ears and snout seem to be a bit darker in spots. I've also noticed that some of her hairs almost look irridecent or sorta clear in certain light. Really odd but pretty cool looking. Other than that they look pretty similar. Any idea how tall and how much she weighed in those pictures?