Mouthing and nipping

BAGRI

What I would do is yelp or make a loud noise, then just stop all play and leave her alone in for a couple of minutes.

Then you can come back and resume what you were doing and if she nips, do the same thing again.

Closing his mouth or moving her head away might be interpreted as play. In my experience, ignoring her when she does it (i.e. stopping play) works better, as most pups hate being ignored and of course, they will learn that mouthing stops the good things.

as persephona says, ignoring is good practice.

try this...

when the dog nips or gets more aggresive in play and interaction, stand up, fold your arms and look the other way, if the dog jumps up, push it gently away with your knee or hand, and fold your arms again, look way, turn your body away from the dog, ignore the dog till it stops. it might stop then try again. once you are sure it has stopped and has wondered off to do other things. wait a few minutes, then, call it back, give it some fuss on your terms. if it nips, start over. when you get the desireed behaviour, make a big fuss for a few seconds, then return to doing something else. this way the dog will hopefuly learn nipping and play biting (which can be a dominace thing) is NOT acceptable to you. get others to do the same if they recieve the nipping too. its a normal thing for dogs to do but undesireable as it could lead to them nipping a small child or stranger that will see it in a differnent light and refer to it as biting.

ignore bad behaviour, reward good behaviour, never the other way around and remember a simple 'NO' not backed up by non verbal behaviour such as turning away or ignoring the dog ( just verbal interaction) can in some dogs be seen as a reward to bad behaviour, they get a verbal noise from you but no actions, its tru.... many dogs cannot understand english! lol, but will understand non verbal behvaiour (never hit or use physical force!), we can learn to speak dog, they cannot learn to speak english! use your common sense, be patient, calm and assertive when you need to be and it'll work out ok. we have used this in the past and it has had very good, quick results.

matt

I've been doing this with Nya. She hasn't once bitten but likes to just put her teeth on my arm or hand. Generally when laying on her side or back clearly trying to play. So far it's only been two days and she seems to be already be getting the point. When she puts her teeth on me I pull away and say 'Ouch!', cross my arms and look the other way. She generally will stand up, nudge my arm (i think to say sorry :)) and then we'll keep playing until she does it again. Then, repeat. She's been doing it less and less since.

Sasha has caught on quickly with the holding her muzzle and very abruptly saying NO or HEY... She does gnaw on me at times but its very gentle now and if she gets a little over zealous I just let out another NO or HEY... She looks at me bit startled and stops. Tonight was the first time she has attempted jumping up on one of the grandsons and I let out a loud NO and my grandson started crying... Oops! Got both of their attention... lol I felt bad afterwards.

If you got the results you wanted then you did good