Jacob's Fear we have to Overcome

mj lastimosa

:hello:

The first time Jacob and I went to the mall I found out that he is scared of escalator:erm:, I can't forced to him to step on the escalator coz he is refusing with all his might

:dog3: and could cause some inconvenience to the other shoppers, after several months now I hadn't tried still to teach him how to overcome this fear, that is why I'm setting a goal now of trying to train him with the escalator,

:anyhelp::

what tips can I use to make it easier for him to overcome this?

:help: Since we have to do this training in a public place.

:shrug:I will update the progress of our training here.

:thankyou: :smile:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would start by just having him relatively near it, watching people go up and down on it. As he becomes more relaxed, tell him he's good and reward him. You can gradually move closer to it with him. Are there times you're there where it's turned off? If you can find one, I'd try getting him to go up or down it while it's off, and get used to it that way - once again with a reward! I would try to do most of your training at times when there aren't a lot of people there who might become impatient, giving you more time to let him become comfortable with it. That said, giving him time to watch people on it, and seeing that it doesn't "eat" them, may help him become more comfortable with the concept.

As you work with him, don't baby him or act like it's anything at all to be afraid of. Stay calm and very matter-of-fact - like it's not anything important or scary - because it isn't!

I would start by just having him relatively near it, watching people go up and down on it. As he becomes more relaxed, tell him he's good and reward him. You can gradually move closer to it with him. Are there times you're there where it's turned off? If you can find one, I'd try getting him to go up or down it while it's off, and get used to it that way - once again with a reward! I would try to do most of your training at times when there aren't a lot of people there who might become impatient, giving you more time to let him become comfortable with it. That said, giving him time to watch people on it, and seeing that it doesn't "eat" them, may help him become more comfortable with the concept.

As you work with him, don't baby him or act like it's anything at all to be afraid of. Stay calm and very matter-of-fact - like it's not anything important or scary - because it isn't!

True! Ok i'll check if they turn off the escalator sometime after closing time, so we could have a quick climb back and fort, i'll bare in mind your advices! Thank you! :woohoo:

Mine is scared of walking up and down stairs, couldnt imagine what he would be like on one of these lol

Good luck hope you get it sorted :)

you can put your feet in first and second step so your husky could calculate the distance and won't get scared to step, usually it's faster to teach them how to climb up than going down the stairs but you know as they say patience is a virtue :P Goodluck to us! :whip:

you can put your feet in first and second step so your husky could calculate the distance and won't get scared to step, usually it's faster to teach them how to climb up than going down the stairs but you know as they say patience is a virtue :P Goodluck to us! :whip:

Haha yeh, he is getting used to it :) he is fine going up them now, just a little unsure going down them but after a little encouragement he will go down :D

:worthless:

we went to the mall today to let him observe the escalator, he would stare a while, take steps backward and would stare away. he was kinda distracted coz there's a cute 3years old lil boy who keeps on chasing him taking pictures, kinda like a paparazzi haha, well atleast Jacob had a few glance at the escalator :))

see he'll give him a pose instead haha :click:

IMG-20110618-00316.jpg

the moody-moody baby :confused:

IMG-20110618-00326.jpg

hehe thank you!!! hopefully he'll overcome this fast :cheerleader:

if you're being consistent and patient he will definitely overcome his fear in no time. Dime used to be scared of stairs but now after he overcome his irrational fear I feel like I have to make him scared again LOL bcoz now he can climb up and down as much as he wants and sumtimes run a solo race on the stairs at midnight :S:

if you're being consistent and patient he will definitely overcome his fear in no time. Dime used to be scared of stairs but now after he overcome his irrational fear I feel like I have to make him scared again LOL bcoz now he can climb up and down as much as he wants and sumtimes run a solo race on the stairs at midnight :S:

hahaha really? so cuteeeee!!!!! :lovebone: Jacob is a little scared still of going down the stairs but hopefully he'll get used with it and so we walk every night as soon as I get home even if I'm tired from my whole day of activity, it'll be worth it soon :D

LOL he'll learn fast. Dime needs about... uh... less than a week to learn that walking down the stair doesn't mean going to hell. At first he's being very careful with his steps but now he's running around and doesn't even care if he tripped or slipped x) The best thing about it is you won't hear him when he's climbing the stairs! Suddenly he's right in front of your room's door LOL or maybe he will learn from the stars and moon how to knock on your door O.O

BEWARE! Huskies are always learning. I never teach Dime how to knock doors but he just suddenly know how. Turns out he learns by watching me x) At night-time he often move from his favorite spot in the living room to the carpet in front of my room and "knock" my door using his paws. It doesn't sound like knock,knock,knock though... It sounds like a zombie is trying to get into your room LOL but now I already got used to the scary sound x) The first time he does that I hid my head in the blanket and pray my door is strong enough to hold a zombie from breaking-in :lolman:

LOL he'll learn fast. Dime needs about... uh... less than a week to learn that walking down the stair doesn't mean going to hell. At first he's being very careful with his steps but now he's running around and doesn't even care if he tripped or slipped x) The best thing about it is you won't hear him when he's climbing the stairs! Suddenly he's right in front of your room's door LOL or maybe he will learn from the stars and moon how to knock on your door O.O

BEWARE! Huskies are always learning. I never teach Dime how to knock doors but he just suddenly know how. Turns out he learns by watching me x) At night-time he often move from his favorite spot in the living room to the carpet in front of my room and "knock" my door using his paws. It doesn't sound like knock,knock,knock though... It sounds like a zombie is trying to get into your room LOL but now I already got used to the scary sound x) The first time he does that I hid my head in the blanket and pray my door is strong enough to hold a zombie from breaking-in :lolman:

hahahaha this is sooo funnyyy!!!! :rofl: Dime is such a smart boy, now i'm wanting Jacob to learn how to knock too hahaha.. but he's trying to touch my face with his paws when i'll sit to him as soon as I get home, and will give a kiss :) Jacob knows how to give a smack kiss in my cheeks haha he's just a sweetie boy. Jacob knows how to go down the stairs but it will depend if the stairs has a little tiny steps he doesn't wanna step on it though. Lately I've been very busy and we're not consistent on our escalator training I hope he'll learn still :)