huskita

tim&sky

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi i was offered 1 of theses the outher day by an owner but when asking for price she couldn't come up with an answer ( pups just turned 12 weeks )......first time ive ever heard of 1 so quite suppride ...anybody know what should be charged ??? thanks

Since its just a cross of two breeds I wouldnt pay any more that £50 for it, to be honest I personally wouldnt pay for it at all as its just rewarding the breeder for breeding unhealth tested crossbreeds but thats just me.

Since its just a cross of two breeds I wouldnt pay any more that £50 for it, to be honest I personally wouldnt pay for it at all as its just rewarding the breeder for breeding unhealth tested crossbreeds but thats just me.

I did pay £350 for Storm and he is a cross breed but to be fair we didnt know anything and we jumped in with both feet. We didnt have this site for advice.

Personally I agree with Sarah BUT I cannot really say anything because I did buy a cross from an unreputed breeder.

what's wrong with paying for a cross? I would love to have a huskita because I love both breeds. As long as the breeder was responsible and did a health check on both dogs I can't see what is so wrong about it? besides, dont crossbreeds tend to be healthier as far as genetic problems are concerned?

cant say how much should be charged as the price should reflect vaccinations and medical stuff puppies need.

what's wrong with paying for a cross? I would love to have a huskita because I love both breeds. As long as the breeder was responsible and did a health check on both dogs I can't see what is so wrong about it? besides, dont crossbreeds tend to be healthier as far as genetic problems are concerned?

cant say how much should be charged as the price should reflect vaccinations and medical stuff puppies need.

i guess it depends - they could both end up with health problems of both breeds - my bings tho is an x breed n has only been to the vet for 1 serious thing n that was when he lost use of his back leg (hes ok now) this is without vaccs for 6 years too - i suppose the problem with paying for a purposely bred x is that u could use the money to rescue a x breed instead

It depends on how much you want the pup. I love crosses, but after doing more research and finding out about back yard breeders if I wanted a cross I'd rescue. If I want a particular breed I'll look for a breeder. I rescued Aya and I got Yuri from a puppy. But the only reason I paid what I did was because he was vacinated, microchipped and health checked and all the paperwork for it came with him. His breeders were not reputible breeders but they did do at least that. I wouldn't do it again because I know better now, but I would of paid as much as I did for Yuri unless vacinations and microchip were included.

But thats just the point they WONT do health checks on both breeds as its expensive and that cuts into how much money they can make on the pups! As for crossbreeds being healthier, your heinz 57 mutts yes thats true because they arnt bred for any extream characteristics that create the health problems but cross breeds can end up with any of the usual genetic problems associated with either breed.

its also about the origional purpose of the dogs - a husky is designed for running and the akita origionally a fighting dog....errrrrr i'd be running in the opposite direction at speed!

If i purposly wanted a cross then i'd go welfare route i would never purposly purchase a cross puppy by choice. IMO breeding should occur to improve breeds and not cross them withwhat ever people fancy give them a 'name' (as in huskita, huskamute etc - which do not exsist they do this to make them 'sellable').

its also about the origional purpose of the dogs - a husky is designed for running and the akita origionally a fighting dog....errrrrr i'd be running in the opposite direction at speed!

If i purposly wanted a cross then i'd go welfare route i would never purposly purchase a cross puppy by choice. IMO breeding should occur to improve breeds and not cross them withwhat ever people fancy give them a 'name' (as in huskita, huskamute etc - which do not exsist they do this to make them 'sellable').

Agree with everything except that Akitas were bred as fighting dogs, this is a myth they were bred as guarding and working dogs and are still used as police dogs in Japan today.

I remember back in the day when crosses were crosses and had a purchase of about £50. Now people are trying to do this whole designer dog thing.

In paying much less for a cross, you are not suggesting that the dog is worth any less personally, but with pure breds you know the lines they've come from and whether their generations have been scored and eye checked therefore in my opinion, you should pay more for that extra knowledge of their history. Anyone can make up the history on cross breeds.

Stacey xxx

I remember back in the day when crosses were crosses and had a purchase of about £50. Now people are trying to do this whole designer dog thing.

In paying much less for a cross, you are not suggesting that the dog is worth any less personally, but with pure breds you know the lines they've come from and whether their generations have been scored and eye checked therefore in my opinion, you should pay more for that extra knowledge of their history. Anyone can make up the history on cross breeds.

Stacey xxx

Hit the nail on the head there hon! Nice one!

Stacey xxx

some pure breeds you don have 2 pay alot for either skyla was cheap as chips but is priceless to me - shes my world

I dont know how to quote so I will agree with Sarahnukka. The akita was not bred for fighting, but rather to guard and carry heavy loads in snowy mountainous terrain.

the japanese tosa is the one bred for fighting. and as far as improving breed goes, does it matter if the dog is not going to be doing what it was bred for?

but if the "breeder" doesnt know how to charge, then I agree that no health check was made. but the fact that she didnt know how much to charge shows she is not really a breeder.

and I would still like to have a huskita. but I believe in rescuing and not buying. so if they have one at the shelter, you can bet I'll be the first one in line.

Stacey xxx

Well, The fact that a dog is pure does not by any means instantly gurantee the breeder of the pure breed has knowledge of the dogs history, has done hip or eye scores.

Yes a "responsible" breeder will only breed pures and will have eye scores, hip scores and family history.

But just because someone breeds pure breeds does not automatically make them a responsible breeder.

Just though I'd point that out :P

At some point in time all dogs were some how crossed :P

A few months back I met a woman who had bought a Newfie x GSD from a breeder who apparently showed both her Newfies and GSD's. It was an accidental breeding or something like that. The woman was charging nearly $600 per puppy. To me, that's wrong. For a dog who is health tested, from good stock, but who's a mix breed... shouldn't have a more than $300 "adoption fee" or whatever. The dog cannot be shown or worked in any rated event... The dog is pretty much a "pet" only and should come with a spay/neuter contract.

So for a dog with questionable parentage and health... I wouldn't pay any more than $125 which is what the shelter around the corner charges.

A few months back I met a woman who had bought a Newfie x GSD from a breeder who apparently showed both her Newfies and GSD's. It was an accidental breeding or something like that. The woman was charging nearly $600 per puppy. To me, that's wrong. For a dog who is health tested, from good stock, but who's a mix breed... shouldn't have a more than $300 "adoption fee" or whatever. The dog cannot be shown or worked in any rated event... The dog is pretty much a "pet" only and should come with a spay/neuter contract.

So for a dog with questionable parentage and health... I wouldn't pay any more than $125 which is what the shelter around the corner charges.

I agree with you to a point - I would not be willing to pay as much for a mix breed from a similar situation as I would for the purebred, however, assuming that the parents had eyes and hips checked (and any other genetic tests for the breed), and have been vaccinated and socialized like the breeder's pure-bred litters, I think I'd be willing to put more money down simply because I KNOW what a reputable breeder puts into any puppy, show or pet! It isn't just what you can do with the puppy/dog, but what time, care and effort has been put into it!