Not eatting doggy food!

Shelbs

I was curious as to how long it will take to break a dog of human food. We just got luke over a week ago and we even bought the dog food recomended by his previous owner. It seems as though he picks at it at the most. But doesn't pass up the chance at the doggy bacon strips as well as following my son around with his meals and snacks. I know nothing is wrong because it seems he would eat these other things endlessly. How long will it be before he realizes? To me it sounds like his previous owners lied to us and fed him to much if not ALL human food. Any advice is welcome ty!post-95-13586074736578_thumb.jpg

post-5265-13585971739129_thumb.jpg

dont give him any treats or human food at all, use his normal food as treats for training.

Put his meal down, leave it for 15 minutes, if he's not eating it then take it up and dont give him anything else until his next meal. Do the same again and again and he'll soon realise that he gets his food or nothing

Do what was suggested above, and if he's still not eating in let's say...1 week (which is what happened to Suka. He was like skin and bones) try mixing some sort of wet food in with the kibble (either the canned stuff you can buy, olive oil, or just plain water) and see if they eat it. Then, gradually, you can use less of it until they are weaned off of the stuff. (Suka hasn't had olive oil in his kibble for a whole week now so he's successfully weaned off of it!)

Well they said as in the previous owners that Luke was eating Dog chow. We tried it and he smells it and walks away. We also bought wellness along with Beniful because beniful is what my Beagle eats. I even tried feeding them at the same time because I thought him seeing my beagle scarf down food (like she always does) would encourage him to eat his but NOPE NOTHING! Idk maybe I am just use to my beagle that will eat all her food plus anything and I mean ANYTHING else eatible in her path haha. The first day I was giving him snacks and treats because I thought maybe he was adjusting to his new home but I soon realized he doesn't think twice about the snacks and doesn't want anything to do with the doggy food. I am just worried he will go hungry if I give him nothing til he breaks to eat his food (when it happens).

Ty very much for the idea about the wet dog food I was thinking of trying something like that. Its ashame he is being so stuburn in this aspect because in all other ways he is a great dog! Obeys comands and is such a friendly, cuddly teddy bear! I guess it just kinda bothers me that they should have said to me that he was not eating right (foods) or was spoiled, stuburn something. You know?

Well they said as in the previous owners that Luke was eating Dog chow. We tried it and he smells it and walks away. We also bought wellness along with Beniful because beniful is what my Beagle eats. I even tried feeding them at the same time because I thought him seeing my beagle scarf down food (like she always does) would encourage him to eat his but NOPE NOTHING! Idk maybe I am just use to my beagle that will eat all her food plus anything and I mean ANYTHING else eatible in her path haha. The first day I was giving him snacks and treats because I thought maybe he was adjusting to his new home but I soon realized he doesn't think twice about the snacks and doesn't want anything to do with the doggy food. I am just worried he will go hungry if I give him nothing til he breaks to eat his food (when it happens).

dont worry he wont starve himself. but if you give in to him you are gunna have a very fussy dog who is very difficult to feed

I just gave him the same dog food he normally wouldn't eat in the bowl in the form of a treat after he did the command asked of him and he ate it with no issues...Hmmm I wonder if he even realized it was the same thing in his bowl?! Thats kinda silly now I know without a doubt he is being sheer stubburn!

Nya wouldn't eat much of anything for the first week we brought her home. (litterly 1/4 cup the first four days) Then out of the blue she decided she was hungry and at a full cup for breakfast yesterday morning and another 1/2 cup for lunch today. I was worried about her too but I think it was just nerves being somewhere new. In that first four days we did give here a little chicked and a piece of burger mashed up in her food, both times she ate around the kibble and ate only the tasty food. She seems to be fine now though.

I'd try the whole, leaving food out for 15 minutes, then taking it up think for atleast four or five days before trying something else as it's probably just nerves.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice?! I am gonna do these things it seems he is being stubburn. I am not use to it either. Like I said my little beagle thinks she eats anything and everything in her path and barely chews lol. Its odd and kinda cool to see luke is so different! I mean I know they are different breeds and such but none the less I hadn't expected such a huge difference when it came to eatting up the food in front of them haha.