Irresponsible dog owners

Neil Sletten

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The window has been opened to target me and my family...it has started a Hatfield & McCoy type saga in our neighborhood...if I wasn't a cop, it would be less of a problem but it really sucks because I'm law enforcement 24/7 but when I'm home I'm not to be a cop of my neighborhood and thus is why I called and reported it...

isnt it just! im kindda shocked that its ok to shoot animals over there - but i guess thats cuz we arent allowed to do it here

I've heard of dogs being shot by farmers there, too, when they've been after livestock... It's an area that is, I believe, much less-densley populated, and at least in part of that, social structures, including government, are very different.

i hate it when people don't keep there dogs in or on a lead!!! i live in a really small town i would compare it to something out of deliverance and there is always loose dogs everywhere you go and some of them are really snappy, yesterday our neighbors dog was running around i do feel sorry for him coz they never bring him for a walk and he is tided up in the garden 24/7 any way they must of let him out for a run around the neighborhood :mad: and the dog was in our back garden!! driving our 2dogs mad it lucky they cant jump the back fence!! also there used to be this tiny jack Russel puppy that used to try and follow me home it would come out its garden a run across the road i would nearly have a hart attack every time coz i thought he was gonna get knocked down and i was thinking who the F is looking after this dog!! there is at least 4 dogs up my mums road that are aloud to run around loose! sorry i had to join in with the ranting!!:P

I've heard of dogs being shot by farmers there, too, when they've been after livestock... It's an area that is, I believe, much less-densley populated, and at least in part of that, social structures, including government, are very different.

oh yeah - farmers ive heard are ok to shoot dogs if worrying livestock - but thats all

to be fair to the farmers......if an offlead uncontrollable dog was attacking my livelihood i would shoot too.

the cattle and sheep that the dogs worry is the only cash generators the farmer has and to have them worried or mauled to death is a large chunk of revenue lost........

people need to train their dogs better and if need be keep them on a lead at all times

I can only say that I hope you don't have to resort to destroying these dogs because their owners allow them to roam free. Unless your safety or that of your family and pets it threatened by these dogs I would hope you would pursue it through the courts. As a matter of interest are the dogs owners aware of your rights to protect your family and property to the extent that you can shoot the dogs?

i am not a farmer but i understand where they are coming from

most fields have no entry/private land signs up but i would have thought that common sense would tell you not to allow a dog off near livestock anyway

most owners wouldnt show up to court..... i feel for the farmers, and if you dont want your animals injured or killed then keep them on lead and away from livestock

Considering issues with home life being at a critical state, I'm not pressing it either way, however, today was trash pick up day and I didn't go to work. I did however sit on the front porch and watch my trash bin for some time... No dogs today :clap: I'm glad too. I've had enough turmoil this week to last me several months.

• 4 weeks later...

Update(s)...

After a brief separation and reconciliation of the Mrs. and I, we came to a simple conclusion. We put the house up for sale and moved. Funny how things work out sometimes but all I can do is shrug my shoulders, shake my head, Improvise, Adapt & Overcome. We have been in our new house for about a week and a half. We have one next door neighbor(s) and they have a male American Eskimo (which of course isn't a Husky but that's OK).

Now, it's odd how things work out. This past weekend my wife was walking through the new yard when she got hit in the back and almost knocked down. When she turned around, thinking I had stealthily got out of the house and ran up behind her attempting to scare her, she found (or she was found - depending on how you look at it) by what appears to be a long hair German Shepherd or a mixed breed of GS and ???. She was filthy with cow manure, void of ticks, very white teeth, very hungry and VERY HOT and thirsty. By the looks of her she appears to be maybe a year old plus or minus a month or two. She's big girl but not supremely big compared to full adult GS. My wife called the local radio station to broadcast a found dog. In the mean while we've talked with the neighbor and he said "welcome to the area and get used to finding strange animals in your yard because people are always abandoning them out here" :banghead: We've attempted to find the owner but thus far all we've accomplished is bathing, feeding and loving on yet another dog. :beer: BUT, with that said, maybe it's karma, but we had considered getting a GS before we got a Sibe... It's beginning to look like we've gotten both. The karma part is the comments Pam & I made a day or two before about our Chihuahuas and Sasha not getting along, simply because they don't want anything to do with Sasha...and made the comment of "we should have gotten Sasha's sister too so she'd have a playmate". Problem appears to be solved because these two get along superbly. "Lady" has proven to be either a woman's dog and extremely intelligent or partially trained as she follows Pam everywhere and has been leery of my boys and tolerant of me. She walks extremely well on a lead, she follows commands to sit, stay & come 75% of the time and watches for the next command. She shy's away or becomes defensive with other males. In the past day she has really begin to show trust with me and follows me around willingly and follows most of my commands. I hate to say it but I think I have a new dog...again...

Sasha turned 10 weeks old this past Sunday and has "ears"! Her ears are about 98.5% done with just a bit of rigidness needed to complete them but she looks like a real doggie now :cheerleader: Thus far her and Lady have rough housed each other over rawhide bones, toys, Pam & I. Sasha is starting to show signs of mellowing and isn't constantly wanting to play with us and allows more loving time. Amazing what can change in a few days time. :)

Just goes to show...There is a Dog! :lolman:

post-5276-13585977524545_thumb.jpg

She's a Belgian Tervuren... the only reason we know that is because she went home today with her woman owner. Apparently "Molly" is quite the escape artist and got loose Saturday evening. The owner said she (Molly) does not like men and figures she was abused when little but was ecstatic to hear she took a liking to me. Hey what can I say...I'm a chick magnet with animal magnetism:redface1: Pam, Sasha & I miss her already