6 Weeks Too Early???

Katelyn

I'm glad to know that someone else has gone through what I'm going to be experiencing. Thanks for giving me more hope. Come to think of it, the breeder did take good care of my pup, well, as far as I know. But I will definitely be looking for puppy school around my area, because I have read many times that it does help with their socialization. And yes, I am so thankful to have found this forum because everyone is so friendly and so helpful! I feel a lot more educated now and more ready to take home my pup. Thank you! :lovebone:

Don't panic too much. We got Teeks at 5 weeks and 4 days old (it was menat to be six weeks but when we registered insurance with his DOB he was just under.) There were various, genuine reasons that we had to take him early and we did a lot of research before hand. You will have to teach the pup a lot...and they will miss out on things like bite inhibition....but as long as you are consistent with your training...you'll do fine. I do know that Guide Dogs in the UK leave the litter at 6 weeks old quite regularly (I was told this by the vet when I had a mini panic about Teeks being so young!).

This is the best place you could come for advice and everyone here will help you through the tough times. Just don;t be soft! They're far too clever...they'll figure out what they can get away with very quickly. lol. You may need to try a few techniques and see what works for you. For us...a combination worked.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't panic too much. We got Teeks at 5 weeks and 4 days old (it was menat to be six weeks but when we registered insurance with his DOB he was just under.) There were various, genuine reasons that we had to take him early and we did a lot of research before hand. You will have to teach the pup a lot...and they will miss out on things like bite inhibition....but as long as you are consistent with your training...you'll do fine. I do know that Guide Dogs in the UK leave the litter at 6 weeks old quite regularly (I was told this by the vet when I had a mini panic about Teeks being so young!).

This is the best place you could come for advice and everyone here will help you through the tough times. Just don;t be soft! They're far too clever...they'll figure out what they can get away with very quickly. lol. You may need to try a few techniques and see what works for you. For us...a combination worked.

Hehe. Yes I am in a bit of a panic mode right now because we're picking him up tomorrow. But yes, I will definitely be consistent. I know I might give in sometimes, but I'm so glad I have my husband because he'll be more strict with him. We'll definitely be experimenting with different ways to see which ways he learns more efficiently. Wish us luck! :dog3: haha! that's probably gonna be me!