De-furring Raf!

sutsibe

My dogs are starting to really blow their coats, and Raf was starting to look like a sheep in need of shearing! :eek: :sheep: I finally got the high-speed blow dryer out tonight, and turned it on him... While some of the dogs really don't enjoy it much (I practically have to sit on Kodi to do any grooming, but he's convinced that the blower has to be a very Noisy, Dog-eating Contraption!), Raf kinda reminds me of Shad in his younger days - he just lay down and let me blow the clumps out of his coat with no fuss at all. Think he thought he was getting a massage! :doglaugh: I did use a rake on him as well, while blowing the fur out...

Here's a couple of photos of him before I went to work...

A video of using the blow dryer to remove fur...

http://youtu.be/ug-VMh_redg

and two "after" shots! Raf looks much better, but my yard - looks like a June blizzard!

post-1262-13586074812662_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585971821352_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585971822808_thumb.jpg

post-1869-135859718232_thumb.jpg

post-1869-1358597182357_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes Gigi that's a lot of fur :jawdrop: Ozzy is also getting ready to blow and looks very scruffy, he is not at the stage that I can pluck the tufts yet, but SOON :rolleyes: I need one of those blowers, but I don't think my neighbours would be too impressed with me if the fur flies onto their washing.

That's the beauty (or at least one of the perks!) of not having any neighbors closer than about a quarter mile away! Took Raf and Tux (one of Shad's sons) for a walk after I'd blown Raf out, and blew Tux's loose fur out when we got back! I think the amount would be close to double that amount by now, although Tux still has a lot to come out yet! :P:eek:

Is there a self-wash place to wash your dog around there? Sometimes they'll have one of the blow dryers you can use... and no upset neighbors!

He was good! He's a momma's boy, and really enjoyed the attention. I think he was itchy with the fur coming out, and that it felt pretty good - like scratching the itch! There came a time when he'd had enough, and you could tell he was getting a bit antsy, though! :whistling:

He was good! He's a momma's boy, and really enjoyed the attention. I think he was itchy with the fur coming out, and that it felt pretty good - like scratching the itch! There came a time when he'd had enough, and you could tell he was getting a bit antsy, though! :whistling:

OMG and I thought my sibes were furry!!.:(Funny how different they all are.Ours have finished their spring moult now.Definitely could do with clippers(Are you sure he's not a sheep??!!)How many huskies do you have??.I don't think I'll complain again.Does a furminator work on them,it's great on ours but don't know how it would work on sheep!!:D.He does look gorgeous after though!!

Looks like a different Husky after that. And the fur laying on the ground; gave me a chuckle. Both ours are blowing their coats right now.

OMG and I thought my sibes were furry!!.:(Funny how different they all are.Ours have finished their spring moult now.Definitely could do with clippers(Are you sure he's not a sheep??!!)How many huskies do you have??.I don't think I'll complain again.Does a furminator work on them,it's great on ours but don't know how it would work on sheep!!:D.He does look gorgeous after though!!

Thanks - I think he's gorgeous!

It gets quite a bit colder here than in much of the UK in winter - and for a lot longer! Once cold weather sets in, most of the dogs stay out in the indoor/outdoor kennel (it's heated to ~50F in the winter) so they can choose if they'd rather be in or out. I have a total of 13, two of whom are 14+ and will probably not make it to next winter, :( as both have health problems (Shad, my best friend, and Roller). Tux gets to come in and be loose at least part time, as he's getting to be cat-friendly, but any others have to be crated in the house. ANYWAY, it's down near or below 0 F much of December and January, so - they grow coat - lots of coat! Add in that it didn't warm up, really, until late April this year, and they are just beginning to blow now! Haven't ever tried a Furminator, so I don't have any idea how it would work on that kind of shearing!:eek:

He looks so happy in the video! lol. "Mommy, that feels so good!"

I think he really was enjoying it! At some point, though, it was like it was just a little too much stimulation for his skin, and he'd had enough. He really seemed to feel better afterward, though! He loves the attention, though!

Thanks - I think he's gorgeous!

It gets quite a bit colder here than in much of the UK in winter - and for a lot longer! Once cold weather sets in, most of the dogs stay out in the indoor/outdoor kennel (it's heated to ~50F in the winter) so they can choose if they'd rather be in or out. I have a total of 13, two of whom are 14+ and will probably not make it to next winter, :( as both have health problems (Shad, my best friend, and Roller). Tux gets to come in and be loose at least part time, as he's getting to be cat-friendly, but any others have to be crated in the house. ANYWAY, it's down near or below 0 F much of December and January, so - they grow coat - lots of coat! Add in that it didn't warm up, really, until late April this year, and they are just beginning to blow now! Haven't ever tried a Furminator, so I don't have any idea how it would work on that kind of shearing!:eek:

That's sad to hear about your 2 older dogs,especially Shad.I bet your bracing yourself right??

OMG...I've never seen clumps like that...is it a different kind of coat I've never heard of? And I thought Andy was furry???!!! OY:duh:

Your guys are in the house a whole lot more than mine, so they don't pull in the sheer amount of undercoat that a dog living outdoors - and they choose to stay outside except in the worst of weather! I haven't been brushing him regularly, even though I gave him a bath a couple of weeks ago and brushed a bit then. That's what it looks like when you just let nature do it - at least until that point!

That's sad to hear about your 2 older dogs,especially Shad.I bet your bracing yourself right??

It is sad, and I am bracing myself, however I've been fortunate to have them both so long - and so very lucky to have and to have been able to keep Shad with me in comfortable health as much longer than I feared I might, as I have! There's only so much I'll ask of either of them, though... :(

Here are a couple of his father, Kodi (before and after) - I groomed him out tonight! (And the yard when I'd finished!)

post-7406-1358607487744_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585971936759_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585971937137_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585971937526_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585971937891_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585971938261_thumb.jpg

Your guys are in the house a whole lot more than mine, so they don't pull in the sheer amount of undercoat that a dog living outdoors - and they choose to stay outside except in the worst of weather! I haven't been brushing him regularly, even though I gave him a bath a couple of weeks ago and brushed a bit then. That's what it looks like when you just let nature do it - at least until that point!

It is sad, and I am bracing myself, however I've been fortunate to have them both so long - and so very lucky to have and to have been able to keep Shad with me in comfortable health as much longer than I feared I might, as I have! There's only so much I'll ask of either of them, though... :(

Here are a couple of his father, Kodi (before and after) - I groomed him out tonight! (And the yard when I'd finished!)

[ATTACH]12297[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]12298[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]12299[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]12300[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]12296[/ATTACH]

Well,Even after you have brushed them, they still make my pooches look like mexican hairless dogs,in comparison!!:D

Kodi is stunning - I want him :heartbeat:

Thanks, Rosemary - he's Shad's son, and is just the sweetest, softest dog you've ever seen - until the blower comes out! He just wants to cuddle up and get belly rubs. Too bad you aren't nearer - he'd love to have a home where he got more attention than he does here!

Do you pick up the hair or just let nature take it's course?:sheep::huskyfall:

If it wasn't so mixed with grass, I'd pick it up and find someone to spin it! As it is, though, I let nature take its course.

omg!!!!!!!! me n mum watched that in shock!!!!!!!! but he looks sooooooooooooo much better afterwards - we are lucky ours have never blown yet - specially like that! lol

It gets a bit colder in winter (and for longer) here than there, Nix, and they're outdoors (by choice) frequently, even when it's down below 0 F! Some of my guys have a bit longer coats, some shorter, but even Shad (who is in all the time) gets a really thick coat (but not quite as much as these guys)!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear i think i'm going to have my work cut out, my Kiefer is having his first blow out and it's starting to come out in clumps.

After seeing that video i'm kinda worried, he's a lot of long fur and i can see he's going to shed big time!

Thing is he pretty much lives outside, he has the option to come in during the day but doesnt as he gets too hot in the house, at night he sleeps in the garden, got a kennel but he'd rather hollow out the soil and curl up in it, instinct i guess.

Think i may put the hoover on to high!..........

Best wishes! ;) He probably doesn't have quite as much coat as Raf had - it gets down to around -30 C here at times, and -18 isn't anything unusual. A warm bath helps get it all out faster - if you get a metal curry comb (like is used for horses) and use it on the wet coat, it really helps strip the coat out...