De-furring Raf!

sutsibe

Oooohhhhhh.... You should see it NOW! I went out Tuesday night and blew fur out of 10 of the dogs!!! Got a lot out of some, just a little out of others, but - it looks like a blizzard! (And I was so stopped up with dog dander I had to come in and get a shower right away! Ha-chooo!;))

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think you could make a jumper from dog fur? lol

Oh, there's no doubt about that! The problem would be that I'm too impatient to get it all off through brushing it out, and when I blow it out, it gets LOTS of grass and dirt in it!

Holy crap, I've never seen such tufts!

There is no way I could have prevented myself from plucking at them before that point. I can't help it -- I see tufts, I love to pluck 'em while Dakota's sleeping. Drives him crazy sometimes when I interrupt his slumber.

Holy crap, I've never seen such tufts!

There is no way I could have prevented myself from plucking at them before that point. I can't help it -- I see tufts, I love to pluck 'em while Dakota's sleeping. Drives him crazy sometimes when I interrupt his slumber.

Keep in mind, Cathy - I have 13 of them - there isn't enough time to the day to sit around and pluck the fur out of all of them! :P

Trying to keep up with 13 just might cure me of my tuft-plucking impulse!

:doglaugh: Hasn't entirely CURED me - but it's also much easier when the dog is in the house, laying in front of the TV or something! I do get the satisfaction of pulling absolute sheets of the stuff (which is cool!) as the blower loosens it up... Plus, when the kenneled dogs are out in the yard and I pull fur out of them, I have to toss it over the fence or someone will come over to eat it! :rofl:

That's so funny, I thought my boys were the only ones that ate the fur...they undoubtedly sit in the pile when one is done and the other is feeling jealous he's not getting the attention, but then Andy just wants the attention, not to get brushed....see recent video...:huskyfall:

i spoke to soon!!!! Blaze has started blowing n hes starting to look like a sheep lol

LOL! Actually, it's easier when they look like sheep - it usually seems to peel out fairly easily then! Get a hole started, and peel it back from there!:P

LOL! Actually, it's easier when they look like sheep - it usually seems to peel out fairly easily then! Get a hole started, and peel it back from there!:P

im not allowed to - mum doesnt want him looking scruffy :rolleyes:

ive gave him a quick even brush thru and am gonna do it everyday now to just keep it nice n even otherwise ill get shot lol

• 2 months later...

OH MY GOD!!!! :huskyfall: That is unbelievable, soooo much fur. Will never moan about Sabien's fur again!!!!! Raf looks amazing afterwards and what a good boy, Sabien runs away from the hoover and the hairdryer (what a wuss!).

Where I live, we tend to have a fair amount of cold weather, and he lives in an indoor/outdoor kennel (inside is heated to around 50F/10C, give or take a bit depending on weather outdoors). In January, lows around -20F/-29C aren't uncommon, and the dogs often choose to sleep outdoors, especially when it's not terribly windy, so they really pack on the coat! Some of them do NOT like the blower, but Raf both loves the attention and, I suspect, the relief from itchy fur coming out! He's a doll!

sorry if this has been adressed or if its just a stupid question, but couldn't you solve this problem by taking him to a groomer before he gets sheds and shave him

I'm assuming they only shed during the summer

It's not a good idea to shave them! Shedding is a natural process, and shaved or not, the hair coat needs to come out of the skin as new coat comes in. The coat provides insulation from environmental heat in warm weather (be careful however - it also holds in body heat if the dog exercises when the weather is too warm!) as well as winter cold, plus it helps prevent sunburn to the skin! A couple of baths during the summer helps the old coat shed out, cleans the skin, and helps the new coat come in beautifully! Additionally, I have a kennel of 11 dogs, so really could not afford to have a groomer shave each of them for me!

They shed most heavily during the summer, but can shed all year around. Some of mine start in April/May, some don't really get going until August when the new coat starts coming in as the days get shorter and fall approaches.

• 2 weeks later...

My dogs are starting to really blow their coats, and Raf was starting to look like a sheep in need of shearing! :eek: :sheep: I finally got the high-speed blow dryer out tonight, and turned it on him... While some of the dogs really don't enjoy it much (I practically have to sit on Kodi to do any grooming, but he's convinced that the blower has to be a very Noisy, Dog-eating Contraption!), Raf kinda reminds me of Shad in his younger days - he just lay down and let me blow the clumps out of his coat with no fuss at all. Think he thought he was getting a massage! :doglaugh: I did use a rake on him as well, while blowing the fur out...

Gigi, I was showing your link before/after pictures and the video to my wife. We are very curious about a couple things.

1) How long does it take to blow out an entire dog?

2) Do all your dogs eventually learn to enjoy that to the point of just sitting there? Or are some kinda weird about it?

3) What is the name of the blower you're using? Is it a commercial pet blower ?

Thanks. I know Adak would not sit still for this but hopefully would learn to. It would be nice just to get the mess over with in one shot.

Gigi, I was showing your link before/after pictures and the video to my wife. We are very curious about a couple things.

1) How long does it take to blow out an entire dog?

2) Do all your dogs eventually learn to enjoy that to the point of just sitting there? Or are some kinda weird about it?

3) What is the name of the blower you're using? Is it a commercial pet blower ?

Thanks. I know Adak would not sit still for this but hopefully would learn to. It would be nice just to get the mess over with in one shot.

How long it takes depends on the state of the coat and where they are in their blow. It works best if they've recently had a very warm bath - you can use it to dry the coat and blow fur out as they're drying, but it will take longer to get the fur out then, as opposed to if you wait until they are dry and then blow loosened up fur out. Usually I'll wait until they start getting tufty, blow them out (wear a mask if you have allergies - the dander causes me to need some Benedryl afterwards!) to get rid of the loose fur, then give a warm bath, and after they've dried, I go back and blow as much of the loose fur out as possible. In the video, Raf was REALLY tufting out, and it literally took the amount of time of the video to get rid of it - it just peeled off him. Other times, they'll hang on to the coat and it will take multiple times of doing it to get it out.

They can all learn to tolerate it, although some are more difficult to convince that the noisy wind machine is NOT going to eat them! They seem to enjoy having the area around their neck and shoulders blown out/groomed the most. If both of you are working on it, take is slowly, and get him used to it gradually, using lots of praise and whatever bribes you can come up with!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-435-s&va=air+force+dryer+dogs

The orange canister (the Commander) is what I originally started with, and is probably sufficient for your needs if you decided you wanted one. Given the number of dogs I have, I upgraded some years ago to the bigger Master Blaster, which has 2 motors and heat. If you run any of them long enough, especially in hot weather, you'll get some heat, but when it's chilly out, with the smaller dryer, you get much less! I decided I wanted heat when I was trying to blow dogs out after a bath (getting ready for shows) in cold weather!