• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How freaky that OP is debating between a Nikon d3100 and others

I'm also debating between the d3100 and the canon 550d

My research is leaning more towards the canon... Just need to save up!!

lol! it's tough with so many options out there! i'm actually going to be meeting up with some locals on another hobby forum to check out their cameras. one of the girls has a d3100 and she said i could play with it while we're out and about. there will be others too so i'll be able to compare. i think it should give me a better perspective than if i just go to the store and take a few test shots. we're going to a local park where we can take pictures of the scurrying bunnies. close by is a lake where we can take pics of the boats in the water and landscapes. i'm sure i'll learn a lot there. i'm glad i found people who would let me handle their expensive equipment. i'm so appreciative.

and i'm very thankful for all the advice i've gotten here. i've been checking out gimp and i've been reading some reviews on different lenses. i've also checked out some of the filter options. there's just so many aspects of photography, so many options. i just want to make sure i do research everything thoroughly before i commit to my purchase, just so i know i'll be happy with it.

I was torn between the d3100 and the canon 450d (Xsi) ultimately I chose the Canon because of the sheer amount of lenses.

I love my camera (there's a link to my photos in my signature) but if anything I really outgrew the capabilities of the camera very quickly. If I had to do it all over again I would most definitely stay away from the "entry level" variety and try to buck up for something better.

Outgrowing equipment is the biggest problem when making a purchase....choose one you can grow and change with as your knowledge of photography grows. There's nothing worse than having the shot in your mind and not being able to get it with your equipment.

I have three Nikons - a point and shoot (CoolPix6000), the Nikon L110 which is a nice camera, one I purchased within the last year and will be the first of my three to be replaced. There's quite a delay from the time you hit the trigger to when it actually captures the image. DEPRESSING! I also have a Nikon D60 which is awesome. A new lens every year or so and I'm a happy woman!

Gonna try a Canon next.......but no idea which one at this point.