HELP...please :)

jfacci

ok so we have had our precious pup for about a month and a half or so and there are things that i still dont understand. first of all his stools are a little runny and I am not sure why. Which leads me to my next question, how much should I be feeding my sibe? he is currently 15 weeks old, and is fed about 3 to 4 times a day, does this sound about right or what? another question that ran through my mind was what are some types of food everyone is feeding their puppy sibes. We took him to the vet and said that we need to take him off of his current food (purina one adult food chicken and rice) and put him on puppy food because he is not getting enough nutrients for his body. ( I read that sibes have an issue with cornmeal and that is a primary ingredient in puppy food). Also do you think I should feed him wet food and if so does anybody have any good recipes they would like to share? :)

Another big issue is nipping. I saw the thread early and talked about ignoring him but whenever I do this he still thinks its a game. Does anybody have any ideas on what else I can do?

Hi and welcome to the forum!

How many cups are you feeding him per time?

I personally recommend to go on Merrick or Taste of the Wild - some people on here feed their Sibes raw meat/bones but Suka's stools get all runny when he eats raw meat.

And I have no idea about the nipping - I've never owned a puppy in my life and Suka is actually my first dog.

The foods Elyse mentioned are both good foods - Taste of the Wild is an all life stages food, so you won't find a puppy version of it. Blue Buffalo also has some good foods. Look for a meat-based food, preferably 3 of the first 5 ingredients - grain free is best, but of the grains, rice and barley are not as bad as corn or wheat. These better quality foods will be more expensive, but my puppies at that age (and a bit older) have usually only eaten about 2.5 cups of food max total / day. Stools should firm up greatly, and be smaller in size. I have also fed raw chicken wings (I've always cut them up into smaller pieces or pounded them to a pulp to make them easier for tiny teeth to chew up) with no problems. If you decide to try feeding raw, read up on it in the Food and Diet section - there are several good threads on it (Sid_Wolf 's Raw Feeding #4 is, I think, particularly helpful)!

When he bites - yelp like a puppy would to startle him into stopping. You can try giving him an appropriate toy to bite, and see if he'll accept the substitute. Many of them love stuffed toys with squeaks in them. Then, if you have to because he won't stop, get up and turn away from him - he gets too rough, and the play stops! If he still won't stop, calmly pick him up and put him in his crate (no fuss, it isn't "punishment", it's removal of stimulus - you - and fun!) or in another room where he can't do harm for a few minutes of isolation time. He'll quickly figure out that if he wants to continue to play, he has to play nicely!

Runny stools are most likely due to the fact you re overfeeding. You really need to see what works for your puppy. I feed my puppy acana Pacifica.. This was after I tried orijen puppy. ( wouldn't touch that stuff)..My boys 14 weeks old and I feed about 1 and a quarter cup a day of acana split up into 3 times a day. His morning and afternoon stools are small and solid. But his evening poop is still a tad soft. Still finding what amounts right for Mika. It's a process.

As for mouthing and nipping. Mika last week did it tonsssssss. This week he's been much better. What I did was grab his mouth and close it shut and give him a big loud no. Seems like it's working. But you gotta be careful he doesn't think your playing with him. Else that nipping will get worse. I think it's just a stage. Both our puppy's are teething. Goodluck!!

As the others have said.

In puppies most runny poo is down to overfeeding, and or poor quality food.

Try a small raw chicken wing, yep bones 'n' all.

"Oooh,you think. . . I've heard that feeding dogs raw meat makes them aggressive. . . "

Nope.

Think about it, 100 years ago in the wilds of Russia (siberia) . . .

could they pop down to Pets at Home for a bag of Kibble ???

;)