sore pads

Val (Zebedee)

walking Diesel, he doesn't like walking on rough or stony ground, he gave up yesterday at Cuerden Park on the road bit & was swaggering while walking. When we got to the grass again, he walked with a bit more of a trot but I let him rest as I wasn't sure what was wrong (bear in mind he is a rescue & we don't know his age, we only know his chip was put in in 2003 but how old he was then, we don't know).

While lazing in the sun waiting for the car, I noticed his pads seemed red - any ideas what it could be or am I looking in the wrong place for a reason for his not liking rough hard ground? He had been in a stream to wash the mud off his legs before I took these pics .... post-6615-13586074918453_thumb.jpg

post-143-13585971959805_thumb.jpg

post-143-13585971960732_thumb.jpg

post-143-13585971961667_thumb.jpg

yes, I've looked at his feet today & they are nowhere near as angry looking in colour, the "grey" bit is quite rough but the edges have calmed down. I think it is walking on tarmac & rocky ground that seems to start it off, poor boy must have tender tootsies!! :P

Will keep an eye on them & see if they get inflamed when just grass walking or if it is hard ground, I think it was just too sore for him yesterday on the track & road (but he loved the grass & streams!)

from what i've seen, huskies pads are usually reddish/pinkinsh color and the darkness comes from being dirty (at least the 10 huskies I'm familiar with). often times dogs with sensitive pads will hurt, and for that i've seen some remedies they sell at pet stores that help heal and keep the pads strong.

just discovered my poor little kobi has a sore paw! cant see anything in it but it looks sore like in the pics above. when his paws are clean they are pink anyway but he keeps cleaning it and chewing it, it is his big pad on his back leg. hes not limping and doesn't look uncomfortable when he is walking but it is sore to touch. just wondered if i can do anything to help him like i say i cant see anything in it should i take him to the vet??

I went through this once with Dakota and wondered the same thing -- it was red, and he was chewing on it, but I couldn't find anything in it and wondered if I should take him to the vet. Since he was eating fine and playing fine, I decided to give it a few days and treated it with an antibiotic spray with a chew deterrent in it that I got from the pet store. The spray didn't bother him and wasn't greasy, and the problem went away within a few days (had it gotten any worse, I would have taken him to the vet's). Who knows, maybe an ant or some other insect bit him?? The spray was Petco Antiseptic Spray with Chew Deterrent; looks like the main ingredients are just water, glycerin, aloe vera, and alcohol.

Oh, P.S., Dakota's toes are pink and black speckled!

• 3 weeks later...

sorry been on holiday only just got this reply, i bathed it in antiseptic a couple of times and it went away in a couple of days, think he probably just caught it when he was running around or was poss a sting. but he is ok now doesnt seem to bother him at all. i think i was just being an over protective mum :)

• 1 month later...

walking Diesel, he doesn't like walking on rough or stony ground, he gave up yesterday at Cuerden Park on the road bit & was swaggering while walking. When we got to the grass again, he walked with a bit more of a trot but I let him rest as I wasn't sure what was wrong (bear in mind he is a rescue & we don't know his age, we only know his chip was put in in 2003 but how old he was then, we don't know).

While lazing in the sun waiting for the car, I noticed his pads seemed red - any ideas what it could be or am I looking in the wrong place for a reason for his not liking rough hard ground? He had been in a stream to wash the mud off his legs before I took these pics .... [ATTACH=full]12323[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]12324[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]12325[/ATTACH]

Hi Val

Its Chris from St Helens meet the one that caused mayhem with Dakota and Chaos & Riot, I'm minding him at the moment I was watching a Vet programme ( I knew i shouldn't have watched it I usually end up in tears) anyway they said a dogs gums should be pink if they are purple they could be short of oxygen and have a heart problem.. looked at Dakotas dark purple to black in colour...PANIC.. also he is constantly panting are these normal things I don't know any one else with a malamute I think you said Diesel was a malamute...Thanks (don't want anything to happen to him on my watch):lovebone:

Hiya Chris :clap: Diesel, as far as we have found out, is husky - but that's not 100%. How is Dakota otherwise?? Is he drinking & eating & pooping OK? Does he get breathless easily? If all seems to be OK, I wouldn't worry too much, but maybe get your son (or you) to chat with the vet next time he has a visit. D's gums are pink. Just thinking, Dakota hasn't got any Chow in him, has he? They have dark / black tongues, etc....

Would salt water harden his pads? :erm:

not sure, to be honest, but I don't wanna try & stand 8 stone of stubborn husky in a bowl of salt water, I might end up wearing it! :P:D Am trying some paw wax I have & it seems to be helping, but then his "dark" part of the paw peels off like an onion & he's OK for a while, but he hates walking on stony ground & heads for any grass he can find to walk on. At the caravan site, he was gingerly walking on the hard stones and rushed to the grassy parts wherever he could :(