Raw feeding - Liver and Kidneys

Rosemary

For over a year now I have been struggling with Ozzy and Micah to eat raw liver and kidneys - which is an important part of raw feeding. They just point blank refuse - unless it has been cooked, which obviously defeats the whole object. I have tried feeding it frozen as well, which they ate for a day or two but then stopped :(

A few day ago I packed their food for the month and decided to try something else. I bought a kilo of Ostrich mince which has a low fat content (I suppose beef mince will do just as well) and put one tub of chicken liver and 4 sheep kidneys through the mincer and mixed it with the mince. I rolled small portions into 'golf sized' balls and froze it with their raw meat and veg. They LOVE it. I didn't want to say anything in case they decided not to eat it, but it has been a week now, and that is the first thing they eat :yahoo:

The only problem is - the amounts they get - the liver/kidney ratio is probably less than prescribed by raw feeding guidelines, but at least they are eating it raw now and I don't want to add more in case they refuse to eat it AGAIN.

@Sid_Wolf - what do you think ?

Yes Sid, they get enough bone, which they love. It has always just been liver and kidney that's the problem. I think they are getting less than their requirement to be honest, but if I increase the ratio, they will refuse to eat it again. So my thinking is that rather a little than none at all.