Polee found an Injured Tawny Owl and protected it from Magpies

lebe03

Earlier this afternoon Polee was in the garden when I heard her barking which is an unusual occurrence. When I looked outside I saw she was barking at Magpies that were hovering over what turned out to be a juvenile Tawny Owl that appears to have injured it's wing. She didn't touch the owl but did scare off the Magpies that were trying to attack the Owl.

The Owl appears to have an injured wing and I'll shortly be taking it to the 24 hour Vets in Bury so they can check it over. Once treated it will be taken to Green Mount Bird Sanctuary to recover fully before being released in this area if possible.

So proud of my baby girl for not attacking the injured owl and protecting it from the Magpies

post-1920-13586075206813_thumb.jpg

post-2533-1358597245264_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The owl is now in the care of the Vets and they will contact me when / if it's ready to be released back into the Wild. If not able to be released back into thee wild it will be cared for at Green Mount Bird Sanctuary.

awww bless that is such an ace story... dont know what the bird (aka dog!) would have done. last fri morning she cornered a young crested grebe, she was just looking (cos i was shouting "leave!") but eventually she got thredders with it growling and trying to peck her she picked it up and gave it a quick shake.she dropped it when i told her to and it seemed alive and well albeit a bit shook up when we left it but i found it dead a few days later further down stream, in a way i wish she'd killed it out right cos i no idea how long it suffered:(... good girl polee not a bird murderer! lol

Awwww, what a good girl! If you get further chances to get pictures of the owl (particularly if you can be present when they release it, if they can) can you try to get some more pics? Owls are cool! :click:

I'm going to ring the vets later today to see if they can tell me how the Owl is doing. Polee woke me at 5.30 am today as she'd heard another owl which sounded like it maybe the parent calling for the youngster. I hope the little one recovers enough to be released back here

Wow, that's awesome! Naya was running around the other day and chased a wandering chicken down! She had her paws on it and her mouth around it's throat when I got to her! Had to pull her off, but the chicken seemed fine except for a few missing feathers.